Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#6 Tom Mitchell

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

November 8th 2022 and a month out from returning to training two senior players training together

Scott Pendlebury and Tom Mitchell—working out a plan maybe

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:04 pm

BazBoy wrote:
November 8th 2022 and a month out from returning to training two senior players training together

Scott Pendlebury and Tom Mitchell—working out a plan maybe

Probably organising to get into the same nursing home 😛 🤪

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:12 am

Prediction: Tom shall:

* Play 100 games for the Pies
* Win two Best and Fairests
* Secure 1 All Australian
* Win a Norm Smith Smile

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:43 am

^^^

He’s already accumulated one Brownlow, three best and fairests ( including 2021 ) two All Australians and 25 Brownlow votes in 2021. At least go out on a bit of a limb with any future predictions 😉
I have it from people at Hawthorn who claim Sam Mitchell singled him out at a half time dressing down around the middle of the 2021 season and that was the beginning of the end. Sam told him future opportunities would be limited and Tom knew his days were numbered. These same staffers reckon Tom is one of the most determined, single minded professionals in the game. Regardless of what some might think of him, I would be very surprised if he’s not close to his best in 2023 ( any injury aside )

And in Tom Mitchell’s post premiership interview on the AFL app, he reveals a very similar story to the above. He was treated very poorly and childishly towards the end of his time at Hawthorn. Their loss will forever be remembered as our significant gain. Thank you, Sam Mitchell.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:09 am

The problem, from where I watch the game, is that his "best" was always less than acceptable. A 50-disposal game from Mitchell was as likely to result in a Hawthorn loss as in a victory. It doesn't really matter how "determined" or "single-minded" a player is, if they haven't got it, they haven't got it.

Perhaps him merely winning some clearances will be enough to stop the centre-square rot and that may be all we need from him. But I am very concerned - despite how "impressive" his stats for the game look on paper, I actually thought he was largely responsible for Sydney's GF loss to Footscray (failure, in my view, to perform in critical contests when the game was on the line). This isn't me just being unkind - I posted my views about his performance in that game at the time and I repeatedly posted about how poor I thought he was at Hawthorn, even as he was winning the Brownlow Medal. In short, I thought he was a bit of a joke and was flabbergasted that our team recruited him.

Hopefully, they know what they're doing and he won't prove to be a liability - but, then again, it seems Sam Mitchell may have come to form the same view I did and - whatever quality of coach he is - he does know what a clearance midfielder is supposed to do in big finals.

I don't doubt that Mitchell will get huge numbers and many Brownlow votes against the less-capable sides - but I'm tired of watching players like that who can't replicate their form in the biggest games.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:13 am

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^

He’s already accumulated one Brownlow, three best and fairests ( including 2021 ) two All Australians and 25 Brownlow votes in 2021. At least go out on a bit of a limb with any future predictions 😉
I have it from people at Hawthorn who claim Sam Mitchell singled him out at a half time dressing down around the middle of the 2021 season and that was the beginning of the end. Sam told him future opportunities would be limited and Tom knew his days were numbered. These same staffers reckon Tom is one of the most determined, single minded professionals in the game. Regardless of what some might think of him, I would be very surprised if he’s not close to his best in 2023 ( any injury aside )

Fair enough but I stay unconvinced that there weren’t other reasons for him leaving Hawthorn. The hawks very rarely knowingly give away their top players except for a few mistakes like Gary Ablett senior. I’m not saying that Tom won’t be a tremendous acquisition rather that it doesn’t guarantee 100% that he will be more than just a good footballer. Hoping for the best outcome.

rosspies 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:47 am

Pies4shaw, I recall Ross Lyon did not think much of Luke Ball towards the end of his time at the Saints. He was a handy inclusion for the Pies in 2010.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:13 pm

^^^
Well the same Sam Mitchell also moved on Shiels, OMeara and Gunston, so I don’t think it’s just about Tom Mitchell being the only casualty of Sams rebuild.
The key to Tom Mitchell improving us will be winning the ball and giving it off to the likes of DeGoey, Daicos’s Crisp and Pendlebury who haven’t been afforded the luxury of time and space on the outside ( Pendlebury aside, who makes his own space ) I don’t see a problem with a lateral handball that hits a quality player on his own. The problems start when you hit up players who aren’t in good positions, not because you’ve directed the pill 10 metres backwards. His game should be measured by the options he chooses, not necessarily the metres gained.
I’m open minded but I don’t see how he doesn’t make us better, although I’m not sure by how much. I guess we will all know more in 2023.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:37 pm

More than anything I trust Graham Wright's judgement. Having seen Mitchell up close at the Hawks, he'd know all his strengths and weaknesses. As an inside midfield ball magnet, I reckon he's exactly what we need. He should enable JDG and Nick Daicos to get more of the ball in space allowing them to be more damaging and attacking in their deliveries to our forwards or thru the big sticks. I guess I'm a glass half full supporter, but nevertheless, I reckon he could just turn out to be the recruit of the year.
jayaykay 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:46 pm

inxs88 wrote:

* Win a Norm Smith Smile

* Not be tagged by Collingwood! Laughing

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:03 pm

inxs88 wrote:

* Win a Norm Smith Smile

Just help deliver a flag and I'll be happy.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:58 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
^^^

The key to Tom Mitchell improving us will be winning the ball and giving it off to the likes of DeGoey, Daicos’s Crisp and Pendlebury who haven’t been afforded the luxury of time and space on the outside ( Pendlebury aside, who makes his own space ) I don’t see a problem with a lateral handball that hits a quality player on his own. The problems start when you hit up players who aren’t in good positions, not because you’ve directed the pill 10 metres backwards. His game should be measured by the options he chooses, not necessarily the metres gained.
I’m open minded but I don’t see how he doesn’t make us better, although I’m not sure by how much. I guess we will all know more in 2023.

Excellent analysis, P2016. I think this is very true. Tom Mitchell is in some ways the player that unfortunately C Brown could not become: the inside mid who will feed the ball out to JDG, Daicos, Lipinsky, etc. And the guy for whom J Elliott no longer has to come to the midfield to try to replicate. His decision making will be the critical factor. I am sure this will be a theme of key emphasis in the off season. I can see that the meshing together of all our midfield talent (Mitchelll with JDG, Lippa, Pendles, Daicos bros, Crisp etc) will be top level priority (and held under top level security as well!!).

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:18 pm

Thought it was a good time to review the Tom Mitchell thread.
Let’s not kid ourselves any longer, for a player who is now getting “ less “ of the footy than he ever has, his current impact on a game has never been greater. He simply makes our other midfielders better and more damaging and the shift of Adams resting at half forward has also enhanced his value on the field.
From Hawthorn to the Pies, Mitchell must be thinking he’s just won lotto.
MagpiesTheGreat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:22 pm

A mate put $100 on the Pies to win 23's flag, as soon as he heard the news of Mitchell's trade.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:02 pm

Mitchell brings to us what we sorely needed - a an extractor. So every Pies player who had to do that job but wasn't suited to it now can rub a little wider and a little freer and has a bit more time and space. So apart from Tay Adams, pretty much all midfielders benefit from Mitchell being in the side, and even Adams gets a chop out. He can only make us better - the question in how much?

-Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20   

Jump to: