Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2024 4:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Presti35 wrote:
FA market always starts to dry up during a season. And this year is no exception.

...but
Presti35 wrote:
We simply have to land someone in the free agency market.

A KPD or KPF and another mid at a bare minimum; our list is starting to age lke milk and stink as such... I can't see it delivering another flag as things stand at the moment.
Surely the prospect of playing alongside Nick and JDG is incentive enough?
Some of the players listed may get better offers elsewhere for more money, but might not see a GF appearance before their careers wind up...
Those are the variables players in their positions need to weigh up when contemplating a move to another club...

Presti35 wrote:
Zurhaar has to be our priority target. After that Battle, Ainsworth and Perryman.

Zurhaar NO, vanishes, and I doubt will leave Roos after their recent efforts.
Ainsworth unlikely to leave, and we dont need another small forward.
Battle, dunno, i'll list a few ahead of him below...
Perryman, maybe IF UFA thus totally free.

Presti35 wrote:
After that Elliott Himmelberg. Banfield I'm unsure on. Older guys like Tomlinson and Walker I am also unsure on.

If Himmelberg doesn't want to go to GWS to join Harry, then absolutely target him; I think he is an upgrade on Frampton.
Banfield I like, but think Freo will keep him.
Tomlinson a LAST resort if Dees delsit.
Walker yes on 1-year contract, injury clauses.

Presti35 wrote:
I'd like to see what trade targets people have in mind as I'm a little worried about our value of draft picks.

We has effectively ZERO currency to trade going into 2025, so a couple of short or long term hail Mary picks might have to do.
We may have to cut our losses with a few currently listed players not stepping up who have been given ample opportunity in 2024 due to our senior injuries....

Bris: Any love for Lyons? He can get his hands on the ball; a task a lot of our senior players seemingly have an issue with lately.

Crows: Ben Keays, apparently UFA [dunno how though]; reckon he and Nick Daicos would tear it up together.

Freo: Will Brodie; not getting a gig there, and a clearance beast.
If we could secure for nothing, he'd give us a few good years in the middle while our window is still open.

GWS: Haynes YES to take the Murphy role; even if short term.
I'd take Keeffe back immediately too, just to give Moore a chop-out.

Let's pick WCE carcass; if Barrass is off the market, then how about Jermaine Jones down back? I think he came from Victoria originally?
And I'd be grabbing Andrew Gaff if available; i'm sure he'd love a belated free-hit at a GF after his famous back-hander to loud mouth Brayshaw vs Freo in 2018 cost him a spot in that team we played off against?

Haw: If Bruest gets jack of being sub, could we entice him over?
Still arguably the best goal-sneak in the league; his demotion is baffling...

PP: Any love for Dixon? Drums are beating that he is done from injury?
Could our mids spot him up at FF any better than JHF, Butters, Rosee and Wines though? If McStay fall over again, we might have to look at this more seriously?

Presti35 wrote:
A handy link:

AFL Free Agents 2024: Every player off-contract at the end of the season

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/afl-free-agents-2024-every-player-contract-season/

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/news/afl-free-agents-2024-every-player-contract-season/3021946cab2af3c891f096df

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:58 pm

Latest on Gettable; Collingwood are out of the race for Barrass from WCE, the Dogs are all over it. Also said we're unlikely for Zuurhaar too. WCE and Freo mentioned 1000 times as linked clubs. Joe Richards mentioned after Owies as players the clubs that missed out on Stengle will be looking at. Bailey Smith linked to Hawks and Cats. Collingwood barely mentioned, other then when they mentioned Keane and his possible return.

Stringer wants out of Essendon? Max King being wasted at StK? (He wants a new coach?). Jake Waterman linked to Dees and Hawks, is he someone worth looking at?. Darcy Parish signed a long deal at Essendon last year, but are they now looking to move him out?

What are Collingwood planning? If we're not looking at free agency and have little to trade, are we looking at a disappointing free agency/trade period?

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:28 pm

piedys wrote:
A KPD or KPF and another mid at a bare minimum

Yes, but I just dont know who? Zuurhaar, Walker, Himmleberg are the only ones we can get as a free hit. Many nicksters are not keen on any of them for various reasons. Then if we're looking at trade, Keane and Jones seem to be the only ones linked. I mean there's just no way we'll be able to land a King or any established key forward via trade.

piedys wrote:

I know right! Are players are more loyal than we think? And also bigger money offers come into play. And the fact that we just dont have much to trade for any big stars.

piedys wrote:
Some of the players listed may get better offers elsewhere for more money, but might not see a GF appearance before their careers wind up...

That's exactly right. But again the trade capitol comes into it.

piedys wrote:
Zurhaar NO, vanishes, and I doubt will leave Roos after their recent efforts. Battle, dunno.

Both free hits tho. And without much other options, they can fill the key position roles at both ends. Both could become better players at a club in the window for success. If we landed both as free agents then I think we couldn't complain.

piedys wrote:
If Himmelberg doesn't want to go to GWS to join Harry, then absolutely target him; I think he is an upgrade on Frampton.

Im thinking more as a replacement for Cox when he hangs em up. We were linked to Lobb for this, and i think the younger 'berg option is better. And again a free agent.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:55 pm

piedys wrote:
Bris: Any love for Lyons? Was the sub in the GF. Not getting much of a chance this year. I think he is close to retirement.

Crows: Ben Keays, apparently UFA. I think has re-signed until the end of 2027. Would have been a good get.

Freo: Will Brodie. 25 ✓, Mid Beast ✓, but why isnt he getting a game at Freo? Why wasnt he getting a game at Suns? Is he another Sier?

GWS: Haynes YES to take the Murphy role; even if short term. I'd take Keeffe back immediately too. 32 and 34. There must be a younger option

WCE; how about Jermaine Jones down back? An interesting suggestion. 25 and at his second club. Doesnt seem to get much of the pill. But I dont know much about him. Not a tall player at 180cm. https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jamaine_Jones.html

And I'd be grabbing Andrew Gaff if available. Wasted tallent if you ask me. WCE never used him properly and then he goes and gets suspended and misses a flag. He has been frustrated and probably should have left WCE a couple of seasons back. Had a good year in 2023, but is now also 32.

Haw: If Bruest gets jack of being sub, could we entice him over? Remember when we tried to get Wingard last year? He's got his flags and he would want to remain a 1 club player. Might even call it a day at seasons end. Will hit 300 games in 10 more outings.

PP: Any love for Dixon? I think injury and form have been the worry. At 34, he isnt coming back. Would prefer Tex (also 34) who at least still has some form to his game.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 2:30 pm

I think our list strategy will be dependant on how this year pans out
Wright is in the record as saying we’re an aging list and it needs injection of youth.
So with that in mind I’m doubtful we will be going hard at anyone 30+
If we fall in a hole and miss finals or just sneak into the 8 I think there will be a purge of 3 or 4 veterans will go.
If we finish the season strong in top 4 then 1 or 2 will go
So the next couple months will be interesting
The only veteran who controls his own destiny is Pendles
There’s several posters who believe there’s others in same boat but I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that’s not the case.
They may wish to play on (which the is there right) but it may not be at our club.
This may be Wright’s final draft/trade period and he will ensure that it sets the club up with a view to the longer view not short term.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 3:31 pm

Is Wright going to Tassie a cut and dried piece of information or is it mere speculation? He may want to remain with the club and reap the rewards of the success he helped orchestrate. After all he can still go to Tassie in the year Tassie will be making their debut. I won’t be surprised if he stayed another year but have to admit that it’s a very long shot.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 5:31 pm

Lazza I don’t know to be honest he may well retire or take a position at AFL headquarters
Gale isn’t in the seat in Tassie yet so he hasn’t appointed anyone but I’m sure Wright’s name will be mentioned
joemamone@gmail.com 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:30 pm

I recall reading somewhere on this site that we are a destination club! I cannot see anyone either wanting or "destined" to come to the pies.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2024 6:41 pm

^^^^

“YET”

😚☺️🥴

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:22 am

Unless we give up something of real value we won't get anything of real value. That's the system. I can see us picking up Rory Lobb as he will be given to us as the dogs want to offload him. I don't want him but I can see it happening. Market wise the only thing that brings us Value is Bobby Hill heading back to WA. You don't get much for players struggling to play Seniors.
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:22 am

We have a quality group over 30 and there certainly is a case to strike while the iron is hot, but the likes of Richmond and Hawthorn should be a lesson that it can cool down quickly and end up biting you in the ass.

I don't want anyone aged 30 and over.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:42 pm

Presti35 wrote:
piedys wrote:

I know right! Are players are more loyal than we think? And also bigger money offers come into play. And the fact that we just dont have much to trade for any big stars.

Presti35 wrote:
piedys wrote:
Some of the [UFA] players listed may get better offers elsewhere for more money, but might not see a GF appearance before their careers wind up...

That's exactly right. But again the trade capitol comes into it.

I think we have to concede we have effectively ZERO trade capitol going into 2025.
Which is why we have to grab some UFAs, who cost us nothing, despite their age.
Even if those selections are stop gaps measures to stem the bleeding, for a season or two, until we can trade for a big fish, or God forbid, hine actually finds us something of any worth in the 2025 national draft, and doesn't piss our first round selections against the wall...
It almost worked in 2016: we snaffled Wells, Greenwood and Mayne as UFAs, all were good servents, despite the injuries they picked up over those ensuing years.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 154, 155, 156
Page 156 of 156   

Jump to: