Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Hydra ~ Caro rears her head again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, it's not a thrilling start in terms of public presence, let's be frank. By the same token, we've had razzmatazz before and we know that has its own pitfalls.

The most obvious signal in that clip was [me over here]<---->[club over there], so he doesn't feel the sense of belonging you might expect, and perhaps even feels intimidated. But again, that doesn't tell you how well he's going to do. Others often charge in and pi$$ everyone off, so there's nothing wrong with tentative beginnings.

I'd be very pleased to see the media scavengers spend more time elsewhere, anywhere, so this could even help.

The risk is that he lacks sufficient public presence and gravitas to carry people through a rough patch. But others might take up that mantle from other roles, so you have to see how the whole thing gels. Organisations work in mysterious ways, and leaders come in many forms, not just as the ranting big mouth of our times.

In the end results speak loudest, with crisis management second.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:49 am

I think history will show Korda to be a great transitional president who put the club first.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:26 am

^^ I certainly only ever viewed him as a temporary president, much like Banger was our temporary coach

Quote:
Thanks to your amazing support all four candidates of the Jeff Browne Team have been elected as Directors of the Collingwood .

Not sure calling yourselves the JBT is a great look after already winning when people are looking for a United board… anyway, hopefully onward and upward from here. I for one welcome our new overlords

Last edited by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 on Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:32 am

Lazza wrote:
Isn’t this the democratic system that members wanted?.

If you call ~6% of the members electing the board Democratic, sure

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:54 am

Big T wrote:
I think history will show Korda to be a great transitional president who put the club first.

The ones who are low key, transitional and put the club back on track never get the credit they deserve. Usually it’s the ones who talk the most who get all the credit and Eddie was the best talker of the lot. Jeff Browne appears half way between Mark Korda and Eddie.
think better 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:47 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Big T wrote:

The ones who are low key, transitional and put the club back on track never get the credit they deserve. Usually it’s the ones who talk the most who get all the credit and Eddie was the best talker of the lot. Jeff Browne appears half way between Mark Korda and Eddie.

It's interesting that Jeff Browne seems like he will be pretty 'low key' in the role and we also have a CEO that has been pretty 'low key'. Normally one or the other will be out there and a polished media performer. I think we'll have to wait to see how that pans out and if it sets us back in the public eye at all.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:59 am

Good piece in The Age about how we arrived here.

Goes into some detail about Peter Murphy and his reluctance to take on the presidency after McGuire's departure.

Quote:
Browne steps in to fill Pies power vacuum

For 23 years Collingwood had one president, as interchangeably identifiable with the club as black-and-white stripes. Eddie – you know his surname – was Collingwood.

Now they have had four presidents in less than a year. On Thursday night, Jeff Browne and his ticket of three other candidates won at the board election. On Friday, Browne was voted in by the new board as president. Browne is the new black and white...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/browne-steps-in-to-fill-pies-power-vacuum-20211217-p59iez.html

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:01 am

pietillidie wrote:
Look, it's not a thrilling start in terms of public presence, let's be frank. By the same token, we've had razzmatazz before and we know that has its own pitfalls.

The most obvious signal in that clip was [me over here]<---->[club over there], so he doesn't feel the sense of belonging you might expect, and perhaps even feels intimidated. But again, that doesn't tell you how well he's going to do. Others often charge in and pi$$ everyone off, so there's nothing wrong with tentative beginnings.

I'd be very pleased to see the media scavengers spend more time elsewhere, anywhere, so this could even help.

The risk is that he lacks sufficient public presence and gravitas to carry people through a rough patch. But others might take up that mantle from other roles, so you have to see how the whole thing gels. Organisations work in mysterious ways, and leaders come in many forms, not just as the ranting big mouth of our times.

In the end results speak loudest, with crisis management second.

Fair summary.

Have to give Browne and the other newly elected candidates some time to settle in and find their feet.

The club is healthier for having had an election after more than two decades.

Changes to the club constitution are in the works and will be presented to the members for a vote next year if Thursday's AGM is anything to go by. Korda specifically mentioned four issues in the Constitution that the board was looking to address:

[*] Changes to Article 49(b)(i) in relation to voting in person at "polling booths". The definition and use of the term "polling booths" appears to be problematic.
[*] Changes to board eligibility, especially in light of the issues concerning Bridie O'Donnell and Neil Wilson being ineligible to serve on the board without being waived through at an AGM first.
[*] Expanding voting rights to more members. As it stands, only 11,500 members were eligible to vote in the election with 5,000 casting a vote in this election.
[*] Term limits, which are long overdue.

I hope this is the end of boardroom talk in the media, which has dominated the club all season. Would rather see the media talking about our new coach and our on-field prospects heading into 2022.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:27 am

Big T wrote:

I think mistakes were made along the way under him, but Korda did a reasonable job in the circumstances.

Hasn't deserved the vitriol he's received in the last few months.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:32 pm

Brown is EM MkII, a closer match I couldn't think of.

It's a hoot reading Eddie haters accommodating him. "But now we are Freee" lol

He is ex CEO of Channel 9. Journos associated with Channel 7 and its affiliates will give him the same courtesy as they gave Eddie.

Eddie was criticised plenty for putting his nose where he shouldn't and attracting bad karma , he copped it for attacking COLA etc.

Brown has been here 5 minutes, and he is aiming at equalisation and soft cap limits.

And Yes, Yes.. he wants to be the best and win Premierships,,.,. what's new.

On the plus side, He isn't commandeering microphones.

Rapt to have him and not some well-meaning apprentice.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:42 pm

Term limits
I have been arguing this for years on this board.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:58 am

The bottom line is do we like Jeff Brown as president.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:14 am

Not too concerned whos on the board as long as they are good.

More importantly as long as we play good footy and win games.
scoobydoo 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:44 pm

What about the fact that Jodie sizer said “ she will never sit on a board with Jeff Browne “?
I assume she’s resigned. If not what’s her agenda? Collingwood or personal?
I hope someone asked her in the Q & A why she hasn’t left the supposed privliged members on the board.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:40 pm

Isn't it enough that your preferred candidate got up? Do we now need to be turning our attention to purging all the non-Browne loyalists?

Personally, I'm thankful that there will be some competing ideas and approaches on the board, and that Sizer isn't a sycophant. That tension will be much better for our club in the long run than a board where everyone's in lockstep behind the Dear Leader.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 173 of 182   

Jump to: