Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Coronavirus 3 - Al Pacino's turn to mumble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article that concerns the "long-COVID" consequences of non-fatal infections.

On numbers, it notes that:

Quote:
Research indicates about 10 per cent of the COVID population will suffer from the prolonged condition and half of more than 73,000 of those admitted to hospital had one or more medical complications.

The links supporting those numbers appear to be this:

https://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/health-emergencies/coronavirus-covid-19/news/news/2021/2/new-policy-brief-calls-on-decision-makers-to-support-patients-as-1-in-10-report-symptoms-of-long-covid

and this:

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)00799-6/fulltext

The latter link is a very current article published in The Lancet. It concerns a cohort study of 80,388 cases. The study found widespread complications across all ages for all people who had required hospitalisation. The "Discussion" section at the end of the article deals cogently with the serious implications of the study. They could be paraphrased, I think, in the following way - although COVID is more likely to kill you if you're old, its significantly likely to leave you substantially impaired if you're younger. Also, pre-existing health conditions can make you more likely to die of COVID - but they don't affect the likelihood of substantial long-term complications nearly as much.

What it does, in my view, is make it plain that the focus on mortality only is all wrong. So, as we know, young people don't tend to die from the disease - but the study suggests that letting younger adults and children get the disease isn't a sane option, because of the substantial risk of long-term, life-altering morbidity. We're talking about serious physical dysfunction, here - there are plenty of awful things that illnesses can do to people that are short of dying in the short-term from them.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:29 pm

I've had a look at the articles, I don't agree that this is accurate.

Quote:
the study suggests that letting younger adults and children get the disease isn't a sane option, because of the substantial risk of long-term, life-altering morbidity. We're talking about serious physical dysfunction

The study from how I read it was on people who were hospitalised with Covid and how a number of them had ongoing complications. The vast majority of cases don't require hospitalisation so we're talking about a small minority of a small minority who do have ongoing complications and we don't know how long for.

We won't be in a position to throw out restrictions until much closer to Christmas if it happens at all this year, by which time there should be lots of clean data from the science experiment that is currently the UK

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

Who the hell thinks Brisbane have a chance of hosting the Olympics!? Have they run out of cities or something? Laughing

Guess who's hosting the 2032 Olympics? Announced today. Razz Laughing

Well there you go. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I look forward to El Paso and Scunthorpe getting the nods for 2036 and 2040 respectively.

I’m with you,David.I spent the first part of my life in Brisbane and I never thought of it as a major sporting capital,or any sort of capital for that matter.

To be honest,I think the Olympics new way of determining who should host the Olympics helped them get the bid.They don’t have an open tendering business anymore.Instead a technical sub committee basically decides which city they want to host the olympics and then it’s rubber stamped by the full Olympic committee.If they had the old system where cities were effectively bidding agains eachother,I don’t think Brisbane would have stood a chance against larger overseas cities.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:49 pm

I can't be bothered arguing about it. I was just trying to characterise, fairly, the point they were plainly making, here:

Quote:
Mortality is a hard endpoint, easily measured, and of utmost importance. However, its use as a sole outcome in COVID-19 studies might underestimate the detrimental impact of COVID-19, particularly in those who are younger or otherwise healthy. Our analysis suggests that the odds of some complications change little with increasing age in those older than 50 years. Therefore, when compared with mortality, complications will affect many more people across a range of different age groups. Notably, our data show only small increases in the risk of complications by pre-existing comorbidities. The effect of comorbidities on the risk of complications and death was substantially higher in younger people compared with people without comorbidities of the same age. We also observed the differences in number of complications decrease between those who died and those who survived as age increased, suggesting that although young people are less likely to die, they might be proportionally more likely to survive and live with complications. Patients with complications are also likely to have impaired ability to self-care following discharge from hospital. This finding contradicts current narratives that COVID-19 is only dangerous in people with existing comorbidities and the elderly. Dispelling and contributing to the scientific debate around such narratives has become increasingly important. Many countries including the UK are experiencing further waves of infection.32 Suggestions have been made around using younger, healthy demographic groups who are less likely to die, to help support economic output, and to propagate herd immunity within a population.33 Policy makers need to consider not just mortality when making decisions around easing population-level interventions designed to limit spread, but also the risk of both short-term and long-term complications for those who survive COVID-19.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:28 pm

It's a fair point and I'm not trying to create an argument. We have different perspectives, you're far more risk averse (at least in a health setting) than I am.

Everything you do as a human has a chance to kill you, for me it's about balancing risk v benefit.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:14 am

From the ABC's blog:

Quote:
Victoria's COVID case numbers expected to be in low teens, the ABC understands
The ABC understands Victoria's case numbers today will be in the low teens, and all new cases are linked to known outbreaks.

Yesterday, Victoria recorded 26 new cases, of which 24 were in isolation throughout their entire infectious period.

The health department will release the official daily case count later this morning.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:48 am

Article on that Long Covid. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/long-covid-uk-warnings-of-effects/100311514
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:04 am

^ Thanks, Stui - that was the article I meant to link in my first post yesterday. The quote is from it and the links I mentioned were referred to in it. Must have been asleep at the wheel when I was pasting!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:06 am

In Victoria, there "are 14 new locally-acquired COVID-19 cases which are all linked to the current outbreaks. 10 of the 14 cases were in quarantine throughout their entire infectious period with 1 of the other 4 cases still to be interviewed."

Victoria's cases that were infectious in the community for at least part of their infectious period over the last 7 reporting days were, in total, 62. Of those, 46 were in the first three of the seven days and there have been 16, in total, over the last 4 days. The number needs to be lower, of course, but it is, at least, trending strongly in the right direction (from oldest to newest: 18, 16, 12, 4, 6, 2, 4).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:31 am

stui magpie wrote:
Article on that Long Covid. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-22/long-covid-uk-warnings-of-effects/100311514

geezus

well I will dissuade my kids from getting AZ, but when they are eligible for Pfizer, ill be all for it.

how fricken scary is that

and yet still the country of origin have not been punished for their lies!

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:33 am

That is encouraging – thanks for breaking those numbers down, P4S.

Anyone want to take a stab on whether we'll be out of lockdown on Wednesday? You'd think the government would be forming a rough idea by now.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:38 am

David wrote:

Anyone want to take a stab on whether we'll be out of lockdown on Wednesday? You'd think the government would be forming a rough idea by now.

i doubt it, id say they might lessen restrictions, but to be honest, i think they need to keep some a little longer. no good getting to just a few, have to beat it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:52 am

David wrote:

For mine it will completely depend on the Prahran Market. If several people got infected there and have all had several days to pass it on we would be in for an explosion of numbers. If not, then we've lucked out and may get some restrictions reduced.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:17 pm

4Nic8 me inebriated, things not going well in NSW

136 new cases, only 53 of which are known to have been in isolation for the whole of the infectious period.

NSW declaring a National Emergency, tightening up restrictions, Dandrews making helpful suggestions to Gladys to replicate the ring of chickenwire he used last year to keep Regional Victoria safe.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-23/covid-live-updates-blog-sydney-lockdown-victoria-restrictions/100316238

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:28 pm

So, once again, NSW's numbers are another way of saying that at least 70 and up to 83 of the 136 new cases were infectious in the community for part or all of their infectious period.

Understood that way, NSW's cases that were infectious in the community for at least part of their infectious period or whose infectious status in the community is not known over the last 7 reporting days were, in total, 406. From oldest to newest, the daily numbers in the last week are showing a disturbing trend: 42, 36, 44, 41, 73, 87, 83.

Another way of looking at this is that, at the start of the week, the NSW number was a bit over twice the Victorian number. Today, it's over 20 times as high.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 189, 190, 191 ... 198, 199, 200  Next
Page 190 of 200   

Jump to: