Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

St Kilda still trying to top up their list...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:24 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What I don't understand is how Lyon has managed to escape any real scrutiny over the last 18 months. It's not a pretty record.
1. Refuses to play Max Hudghton in the 2009 GF preferring Zac Dawson.
2. Relegates Luke Ball to 'depth player' status and removes him from the field during the GF loss to Geelong.
3. Refuses to trade Ball to Collingwood for Pick 30 and Goldsack/Wellingham
4. Loses Ball to Collingwood. St Kilda gets zip.
5. Drafts the troubled Lovett from Essendon. Lovett never plays a game before being sacked.
6. Learns nothing from the GF Draw and lines up virtually unchanged in the GFR. Astonishingly, moves Gilbert too late in successive weeks.
7. Having assembled a group of recycled players that falter under the ultimate pressure of grand finals, Lyon recruits further discards in Polo /Gamble, who either can't kick, or won't put their head over the ball.
The above record has led to an amazing win/loss ratio and 3 grand final appearances in two seasons without a win.

If it were MM making these monumental blunders the press would have hacked him to pieces.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:08 am

Pied Piper wrote:
Polo is about as relevant to St Kilda's fortunes as Anthony Corrie was to ours, and he cost them even less. He may play a role in the team, maybe not, but at pick number 108 it's nowhere near the big deal people are making of it in my opinion. The Andrew Lovett debacle last year was a far greater mistake IMO and may well have cost them a flag.

It's easy to laugh at St Kilda, and easier still to forget that if the ball had wobbled a different way late in the final quarter of the first grand final, they'd have won a premiership and we'd be the ones still bleeding. They're actually not that far off the pace. Sure, they have a pretty ordinary last half-dozen in their team, but they're hardly in rebuilding mode yet - they've got some of the best players in the competition and one of them, Lenny Hayes, is 31. Obviously they are trying to sneak a premiership before their window completely closes, as they should.

Polo's not a great player, but he's a bit of insurance, and does anyone really think pick number 108 would have broken into their side next year? Pretty unlikely.

If your going to make sensible posts then your not welcome on this thread Wink

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:16 am

Neil Appleby wrote:
What I don't understand is how Lyon has managed to escape any real scrutiny over the last 18 months. It's not a pretty record.
2. Relegates Luke Ball to 'depth player' status and removes him from the field during the GF loss to Geelong.
5. Drafts the troubled Lovett from Essendon. Lovett never plays a game before being sacked.
6. Learns nothing from the GF Draw and lines up virtually unchanged in the GFR. Astonishingly, moves Gilbert too late in successive weeks.
7. Having assembled a group of recycled players that falter under the ultimate pressure of grand finals, Lyon recruits further discards in Polo /Gamble, who either can't kick, or won't put their head over the ball.
The above record has led to an amazing win/loss ratio and 3 grand final appearances in two seasons without a win.

If it were MM making these monumental blunders the press would have hacked him to pieces.

Exactly right.

Lyon is the best defensive Coach going around. Wink Wink

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:00 am

Tannin wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:
It's easy to laugh at St Kilda, and easier still to forget that if the ball had wobbled a different way late in the final quarter of the first grand final, they'd have won a premiership and we'd be the ones still bleeding.

Jeeze I get tired of this rubbish argument. I expect better from you, Piper.

This is one of those ridiculous myths that just go and go forever. Yes, sure, if, but the only damn reason the ball was anywhere near Milne in the first place was because it took a very weird bounce indeed to negative Ben Johnson's comprehensive outpositioning of the St Vomirt player. The second weird bounce (away from Milne) simply balanced things up again.

Further, they did not deserve to be anywhere near that close to us. The only reason they were was that our guys lost their nerve and took their feet off the pedal. If they had fluked a win, it would have been a genuine undeserving win against the form line - they would have pinched it, same as we would have pinched one in 2003 if we had somehow managed to stumble over the line against the vastly superior line-up of the salary-cap cheating Bears. And if we are going to talk very small chance items that influenced the outcome of the season, then we had better rewind back to the first final they played when Geelong beat them by a goal, only to have the score reversed in a very controversial umpiring decision.

The 2010 Grand Final was unjust. No, not because the wrong team won it - we were the best side for the year and worthy winners - but because the wrong team were runners-up - St Vomit sneaked in by a fluke against Geelong and it should always have been a match between the best two sides in the comp that year - Collingwood and Geelong.

But that's footy - you never know what flavour you're going to get until you open the ball. Or bounce the chocolate. Or something.

Laughing Laughing I was thinking the same thing in bed last night Tannin. How many dead set gimmes did we miss in front of goals? At least four in the first half by my reckoning. We should have had GF1 done and dusted by half-time.

Milne's missed bounce should not have made any difference. And how do we know we mightn't have got another goal back from the centre bounce, like the one we got straight after Goddard's mark and goal?

And you are correct about the wrong GF.

The St Kilda premiership window is now officially closed. We nailed it up for another ten years at least I'd say and this attempt to top up their list will make certain of it. Laughing
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:04 am

Oops. Too much data.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:09 am

Neil Appleby wrote:

Very good post Neil.

You're right about the media. Why hasn't Caro been at him? But forget about the media, if Mick had made those sorts of monumental errors the members of Nick's would have hacked him to pieces first. Razz Laughing
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:09 am

Um, the members of Nick's (not mentioning any names) DID hack him to pieces when he made no such errors! Razz
The_Staunton Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:48 am

Don't forget he made Ben McEvoy a top 10 draft pick...
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:29 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:

Yep, we got him too. Laughing

Ross Lyon. The gift that keeps on giving. Razz
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
Um, the members of Nick's (not mentioning any names) DID hack him to pieces when he made no such errors! Razz

Well I do remember a few threads in that direction. Wink

Oh well, I've got a good name for Mick. Will it stick?

Resurrection Man.
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:18 pm

Going off topic, but speaking of Max Hudghton any word on whether or not he will be at the club again next year? This season he was a part timer, I've read...so it would be good if he stuck around.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
FlagPie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Maxy Hudghton looked absolutely thrilled at the end of GF2, you would never have known he played for the Aints, Lyon must have really made an impression on him.

Last edited by FlagPie on Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:54 pm

Can you remember any time that Maxy looked thrilled at the end of GF2 you would did it?
FlagPie 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:56 pm

Ok HAL you are slipping over into creepy :O
HAL 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Thanks for the information. ""? Ok you you are slipping over into creepy O?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: