Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Daics vs tiprat - Are you kiddin' me

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

uncanny wrote:
Milne wilted in many finals whereas Daicos usually played well in them. We'll never forget the bouncing ball in the 2010 gf that went through for a point will we? I'm backing Daicos, in the same situation, to run hard and pick up the half volley and slot the goal rather than wait for the bounce like Milne did. Daicos handled the biggest moments like this far better than Milne ever could.

^ Oh FFS, watch the replay. All of it. Milne was hopelessly out of position and Benny Johnson was in exactly the right spot to take possession when the ball took a freak bounce almost into Milne's arms, and then took a second bounce back to where it had looked like going in the first place, allowing BJ to clear.

Nearly all the replays just show the second bounce, and leave the first bounce out to make Milne look unlucky. In reality, Milne was outplayed, then was almost gifted an undeserved goal, only to have the rightful result reassert itself.

And yes, Daicos would most likely have swallowed that one. he was a far, far better player than Milne. If you want to compare Milne to a Collingwood player in the same league as himself, Didak is an appropriate one to ponder. Without checking the stats, I think I'm safe in saying that Milne would have kicked a lot more goals, but most of them in low-pressure matches, while Didak was a vastly more rounded player who made big impacts on games in the midfield outside of his periods playing forward, and also a player who you could rely in in pressure games, unlike Milne. On balance, I'd rate Didak a better player over his career than Milne, but you could argue the other way without being completely stupid.

Daicos, however, wasn't even in the same league. You might as well compare Milne to Plugger Locket or James Hird or Robert Flower or either of the Gary Abletts.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:57 pm

I saw all of Daic's games. I've attended over 700 games. Seen Thommo, Greening, Carman, Moore, Bucks. Daics was the best of them all. He was the most entertaining, electric, clever player that I have ever watched in the black and white. I carry a permanent appreciation inside me of how lucky I was to be the right age to watch his career. I also carry a sadnes that he is finished and that I can't ever imagine us having a player like him again. Maybe it will happen one day, but I doubt it. He was a champion of champions.
Museman 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:59 pm

Simply the most exquisitely skilled footballer I've ever seen.

Milne was a quality small forward, high quality football wise....

Daics however, was off the very top shelf.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:04 pm

We have never talked about it before. I can't say "yes" or "no".
jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:58 pm

perthmagpie wrote:
I saw all of Daic's games. I've attended over 700 games. Seen Thommo, Greening, Carman, Moore, Bucks. Daics was the best of them all. He was the most entertaining, electric, clever player that I have ever watched in the black and white. I carry a permanent appreciation inside me of how lucky I was to be the right age to watch his career. I also carry a sadnes that he is finished and that I can't ever imagine us having a player like him again. Maybe it will happen one day, but I doubt it. He was a champion of champions.

Can't agree. All were champions and Daics was probably the most enjoyable to watch play, but for out and out football and athletic ability, you cannot go past John Greening. He had it all. He had that Brownlow in his pocket before that mongrel, I won't even mention his name, karate chopped him, ending not only his season but creating life issues later. No doubt he would not only be in the Hall of Fame, but would be a legend of the game.

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:39 pm

John Greening could have been better but unfortunately we never saw him build a full career. He was my favorite player for a while.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:54 pm

jatsad wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:

Can't agree. All were champions and Daics was probably the most enjoyable to watch play, but for out and out football and athletic ability, you cannot go past John Greening. He had it all. He had that Brownlow in his pocket before that mongrel, I won't even mention his name, karate chopped him, ending not only his season but creating life issues later. No doubt he would not only be in the Hall of Fame, but would be a legend of the game.

I hate comparing Daics and Greening because they were both superstars and both in my five all time favourite players. I am with you jatsad Greening had it all his marking and just getting the ball and clearing packs was second to none. Daics like Pendles slowed the game down and weaved his magic with the best kick of the footy ever! but defensively (maybe due to the knee) he was found wanting.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:05 pm

Can't agree. All were champions and Daics was probably the most enjoyable to watch play, but for out and out football and athletic ability, you cannot go past John Greening. He had it all. He had that Brownlow in his pocket before that mongrel, I won't even mention his name, karate chopped him, ending not only his season but creating life issues later. No doubt he would not only be in the Hall of Fame, but would be a legend of the game.[/quote]

Another reason why this was insulting. We should have another one comparing Baldock to Shane Woewodin,

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:31 pm

ronrat wrote:

Another reason why this was insulting. We should have another one comparing Baldock to Shane Woewodin,

Baldock would win! Can I ask why everyone is getting so offended? Didn't Daicos win in a landslide? Doesn't the poll simply allow us to celebrate the fact that daicos (the best small forward of his generation - after he assumed that position permanently in the second half of his career) is significantly better than the best small forward of the current generation. What is wrong with a poll asking us to rate the best tow small forward of the past 2 generations.

Last edited by E on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brenny 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Some of those clips in the first 1/3 of the video did everything they could to make the rat look the better of the two.

Either way, more important things to get offended over. Daics for me, every day of the week. I'd have had the therapist at Collingwood any day of the week just as I'd have Ballantyne.

All of them are good, just Daics was better Wink
Doc63 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:16 pm

Tannin wrote:
uncanny wrote:
Milne wilted in many finals whereas Daicos usually played well in them. We'll never forget the bouncing ball in the 2010 gf that went through for a point will we? I'm backing Daicos, in the same situation, to run hard and pick up the half volley and slot the goal rather than wait for the bounce like Milne did. Daicos handled the biggest moments like this far better than Milne ever could.

^ Oh FFS, watch the replay. All of it. Milne was hopelessly out of position and Benny Johnson was in exactly the right spot to take possession when the ball took a freak bounce almost into Milne's arms, and then took a second bounce back to where it had looked like going in the first place, allowing BJ to clear.

Nearly all the replays just show the second bounce, and leave the first bounce out to make Milne look unlucky. In reality, Milne was outplayed, then was almost gifted an undeserved goal, only to have the rightful result reassert itself..

I think you might have to have another look at the replay Tannin. It went through for a behind - Johnno didn't clear it.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:21 pm

jatsad wrote:
perthmagpie wrote:

It is one of the great regrets of my life that I was too young to remember seeing much of Greening - he must have been a pleasure to watch.

So, for me, Daics is the best I've seen.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:30 pm

Doc63 wrote:
I think you might have to have another look at the replay Tannin. It went through for a behind - Johnno didn't clear it.

Quite right. Slip of the brain. The point stands nevertheless. (No pun intended.) Milne wasn't horribly unlucky. He wasn't even slightly unlucky. BJ outpositioned him, beat him clear and fair, and then the Tiprat was almost very lucky with a freak bounce but the chances evened themselves out again with the second bounce. Watch it and you will see for yourself.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:35 pm

Tannin wrote:
Doc63 wrote:

Quite right. Slip of the brain. The point stands nevertheless. (No pun intended.) Milne wasn't horribly unlucky. He wasn't even slightly unlucky. BJ outpositioned him, beat him clear and fair, and then the Tiprat was almost very lucky with a freak bounce but the chances evened themselves out again with the second bounce. Watch it and you will see for yourself.

I agree, Johnno was in the perfect position to run onto the ball & clear it, until that bounce.

Unfortunately, I cant bring myself to watch it, I get too tense!! And I don't have to, my seat was in Row A, right next to that behind post. I'll never forget it.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:53 pm

makri wrote:
Didn't see tiprat win a flag.

Be very careful, as this suggests Aaron Shattock is a better midfielder than Nathan Buckley.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: