Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Marley trade

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Museman 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:48 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

keep.

one of the only players we have that makes the opposition take a peak....

if you want to get rid of a chit kick, we have plenty of other candidates.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:08 pm

Reckon we have to make a stand against deplorable kicks and players whom are one-sided only. Marley unfortunately fits into both these criteria.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:12 pm

I've been waiting for you.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:31 pm

inxs88 wrote:
themonk wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
He's going through a form slump lately but he's a quality player when right, but if he wants out he wants out, second rounder minimum.

I think he is quality that has yet to find form this year due to injury, I'd prefer not to lose him but if he wants to go home them it's either a 2nd round from Fremantle (pick 21) or demand Eagles first round (pick 13) and throw in our 2nd round (pick 25) to get it over the line.

Freo have lost that pick to the Gold Coast in the Harley Bennell deal last year.

how do they intend to get McCarthy?

Eagles then, but as I said I'd prefer he stays, there are plenty in front of the queue
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:49 pm

A little bit of Marley history.....

Just a week after celebrating his Maori heritage in the multicultural round, details of Collingwood defender Marley Williams less celebrated, but highly compelling, family lineage have been revealed as he prepares to battle Carlton at the MCG tonight.

While Williams father George moved to Wagin from New Zealand as a teenager, the family tree stemming from his mother, Joanne Western, is littered with WA luminaries.

At the top of the tree is Williams great, great uncle and East Perths pre-war team of the century back pocket, Alby Nails Western, who represented WA 23 times.
Westerns son, Alby Jr, played 102 games for South Fremantle, four for Richmond and represented WA five times.

Alby Sr is also understood to have had at least four brothers Cedric, Eric, Charles and Harry who played in the WAFL.

Also featured on the tree as first cousins of Williams mother are 1988 Subiaco premiership captain and now Racing Victoria chief handicapper, Greg Carpenter, and his brother, former WA premier Alan.

It was against a legend of Williams new club that Alby Sr, who died in 1980, gave one of his most memorable displays when he tamed Collingwood legend Gordon Coventry in a 1927 State game.

The Daily News on June 18, 1932, tells how WA coach Phil Matson used the unorthodox Western, who played in five consecutive East Perth premierships, to combat the Magpies goal-kicking great and keep him to just two goals.

Williams, Carltons Josh Bootsma and West Coast rookie Jeremy McGovern all played in a colts premiership for North Albany.
Another teammate, Warrick Proudlove, is battling head injuries after a car accident last July.

Just five games into his senior career after being rookie drafted by Collingwood from Claremont, Williams extended family is closely watching him write the new chapter of their rich football history.

Alan Carpenter, an avid Fremantle supporter, was in the MCG crowd as the Magpies beat the Dockers last Saturday and grandmother Jeanette Western said the rising 19-year-old was making them proud.

Its so amazing, we cant believe hes actually over there already playing league ... and for Collingwood, she said from her Albany home yesterday.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:05 pm

themonk wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
themonk wrote:
Bob Sugar wrote:
He's going through a form slump lately but he's a quality player when right, but if he wants out he wants out, second rounder minimum.

I think he is quality that has yet to find form this year due to injury, I'd prefer not to lose him but if he wants to go home them it's either a 2nd round from Fremantle (pick 21) or demand Eagles first round (pick 13) and throw in our 2nd round (pick 25) to get it over the line.

Freo have lost that pick to the Gold Coast in the Harley Bennell deal last year.

how do they intend to get McCarthy?

You can bet the Dockers shall use:

* Mayne
* Barlow
* Sheridan
* Zac Clarke

as trade bait to get their list in order to secure the likes of McCarthy!

Eagles then, but as I said I'd prefer he stays, there are plenty in front of the queue

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:07 am

Skids wrote:

Just a week after celebrating his Maori heritage in the multicultural round, details of Collingwood defender Marley Williams less celebrated, but highly compelling, family lineage have been revealed as he prepares to battle Carlton at the MCG tonight.

While Williams father George moved to Wagin from New Zealand as a teenager, the family tree stemming from his mother, Joanne Western, is littered with WA luminaries.

At the top of the tree is Williams great, great uncle and East Perths pre-war team of the century back pocket, Alby Nails Western, who represented WA 23 times.
Westerns son, Alby Jr, played 102 games for South Fremantle, four for Richmond and represented WA five times.

Alby Sr is also understood to have had at least four brothers Cedric, Eric, Charles and Harry who played in the WAFL.

Also featured on the tree as first cousins of Williams mother are 1988 Subiaco premiership captain and now Racing Victoria chief handicapper, Greg Carpenter, and his brother, former WA premier Alan.

It was against a legend of Williams new club that Alby Sr, who died in 1980, gave one of his most memorable displays when he tamed Collingwood legend Gordon Coventry in a 1927 State game.

The Daily News on June 18, 1932, tells how WA coach Phil Matson used the unorthodox Western, who played in five consecutive East Perth premierships, to combat the Magpies goal-kicking great and keep him to just two goals.

Williams, Carltons Josh Bootsma and West Coast rookie Jeremy McGovern all played in a colts premiership for North Albany.
Another teammate, Warrick Proudlove, is battling head injuries after a car accident last July.

Just five games into his senior career after being rookie drafted by Collingwood from Claremont, Williams extended family is closely watching him write the new chapter of their rich football history.

Alan Carpenter, an avid Fremantle supporter, was in the MCG crowd as the Magpies beat the Dockers last Saturday and grandmother Jeanette Western said the rising 19-year-old was making them proud.

Its so amazing, we cant believe hes actually over there already playing league ... and for Collingwood, she said from her Albany home yesterday.

Great pick up Skids

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:28 am

watt price tully wrote:
Skids wrote:

Great pick up Skids

Nice I am a sentimental bugger and want him to stay but he has to learn to be smarter as many others have said and learn to kick on both sides. His Hardness and his mongrel is something I love.

www.facebook/the hybernators
makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:37 pm

woodys_world69 wrote:
Yeah I hate how nimble and agile he is. How good a tackler he is.
How he hardly ever gets beaten in contested ball.
Sigh...

Yes, all of the above, but has terrible disposals, how many of these players are we going to carry? We did it for so long with Licuria.

Going forward it looks like Adams has got the nod as the hard nosed player who couldn't hit the side of a house from 5m that we are going to keep.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:40 pm

makri wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:
Yeah I hate how nimble and agile he is. How good a tackler he is.
How he hardly ever gets beaten in contested ball.
Sigh...

Yes, all of the above, but has terrible disposals, how many of these players are we going to carry? We did it for so long with Licuria.

Going forward it looks like Adams has got the nod as the hard nosed player who couldn't hit the side of a house from 5m that we are going to keep.

Adams kicking efficiency is actually quite good now.
BHPIE 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:51 pm

Yes rudeboy, it has improved 100 % , why cant others improve?
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:04 pm

Suggest we get either Ben Johnson back or who ever improved his kicking back
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:48 pm

A while ago I would've been concerned but he's become a very frustrating footballer to watch. With such a horrible kick you need to be elite in other areas to compensate and while he's not necessarily a hack, he's probably only average to good with everything else. Not enough imo. If you look at someone like Toovey, another horrible kick, he was at least super quick, agile, played tall and short and was pretty much unbeatable one on one. We do have a few options as small-medium type defenders so perhaps a look at a trade would be a good scenario.
ip address 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:34 pm
Post subject: MarleyReply with quote

Why don't we try him either in the VFL or the top side as a small crumbing forward. I recollect in a pre season game in his debut year, I thought he kicked 3 goals(??)

He has a beautiful side step and is very evasive. "Front and square" and see how he goes. He's also very aggressive as a footballer, so could easily apply defensive forward pressure.

I'm aware his kicking to players needs attention but for goals it may be different. He would probably be getting the ball 30+ metres out or either snapping them near the goals. Rarely do you see the gun, elusive forwards having shots from 50 metres out. He would probably make the distance anyway!

Why seek this small, elusive forward we ALL yearn for .... where we could try and make one

What have we got to lose?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 pm
Post subject: Re: MarleyReply with quote

ip address wrote:
Why don't we try him either in the VFL or the top side as a small crumbing forward. I recollect in a pre season game in his debut year, I thought he kicked 3 goals(??)

He has a beautiful side step and is very evasive. "Front and square" and see how he goes. He's also very aggressive as a footballer, so could easily apply defensive forward pressure.

I'm aware his kicking to players needs attention but for goals it may be different. He would probably be getting the ball 30+ metres out or either snapping them near the goals. Rarely do you see the gun, elusive forwards having shots from 50 metres out. He would probably make the distance anyway!

Why seek this small, elusive forward we ALL yearn for .... where we could try and make one

What have we got to lose?

Excellent analysis, I believe he can improve and become a pivotal part of our side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: