Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Options for Mayne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
Invigoration wrote:
Give him the pre-season and another year to make a mark, we aren't that tight up for spots on the list that we need to cut him. Hopefully a fire spurs in his belly over the off season, surely he is embarrassed by the current state of affairs as from all reports he is a pretty honest and genuine sort of guy.

Re-assess at the end of 2018.

Absolutely agree with this.
In 2016, he was never dropped from the Dockers team at any point through that season. Less than12 months later, he is just average in a VFL team.
You just don't see such a fall from grace very often in a 28 year old player ( although Chris Dawes does spring to mind )

I don't think it's a big stretch to think he could improve a bit on his 2017 form. Whether we like it or not, he forms part of our TPP, so let's not completely write him off until maybe the half way point of next season.

In his last 3 years at the Dockers his form got worse and worse, then he followed the same pattern at Collingwood. Way too slow and not able to put on the forward pressure that he did 4 years ago. He was also a dead eye kick 4 years ago but that diminished in his last 2 years at the Dockers also. How he was recruited with so much evidence that he was gone is mind boggling. Hilarious that people on this thread blame the CEO for list management decisions just because he's no longer there. Hine and Buckley own this. Pay him out and get rid of him.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:45 pm

^^agree. Mayne was finished 3yrs ago.

The problem with Mayne is that game became too fast for him, and he doesn't have any skills to fall back on.

One look at Mayne's kicking action spelled trouble. Buckley mysteriously doesn't have a clue about valueing players' skills. Either that or he places zero importance on skills. Mayne, Blair, Adams, Crocker, Greenwood, Schade, Oxley all have flawed kicking actions. It sh#ts me to tears.

Then through the Channel 7 spy camera looking into our review meeting slide..."kicking skills" is shown there. What is this? The Benny Hill show?

So what will be done about it? Get a clue Buckley. Geez.
If you really can't see it, get Wells, Howe, WHE to take kicking practice...all lovely smooth kicks.

And Chris Mayne. Just get a haircut.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:06 pm

Howe is a serious clanger merchant, to my eyes.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:18 pm

Skids wrote:
Whatever the cost or consequence, get rid of him.

Absolute waste of space. The dumbest deal I can recall.

Finally something we can agree on.

Probably the worst trade decision of all time given the terms of the deal.

Effectively we just recruited a VFL player on massive coin (for a VFL listed player) for 4 years.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 pm

If we are really looking at someone like Crameri, then it's almost certain Mayne won't be on the list next year.

Keep in mind that we don't know the details of his contract. It definitely won't simply be $500k for 4 years. I'd be confident in saying it was more front loaded and may not even be a full 4 years - later years could be contingent. Any of that could make terminating the contract before 2018 more possible.

If that happens I wouldn't mind hearing an explanation from the club. The signing itself made sense, and if the rumours about Crameri are true we are still looking for a similar type. So what went wrong with Mayne?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:19 pm

swoop42 wrote:
[quote="Skids"]Whatever the cost or consequence, get rid of him.

Absolute waste of space. [b]The dumbest deal I can recall[/b].[/quote]

Finally something we can agree on.

Probably the worst trade decision of all time given the terms of the deal.

Effectively we just recruited a VFL player on massive coin (for a VFL listed player) for 4 years.
By "we" do you mean you and me?
ROB 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:22 pm

If he was to be hit by a bus (driven possibly by a Magpie supporter by pure coincidence) and was unable to resume playing football for at least 3 years (so whoever is going to take one for the team do the job well) would he then be reverted to a disability pension and the club would no longer have to pay him for (really not) playing football??
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:09 am

Mugwump wrote:
Howe is a serious clanger merchant, to my eyes.

Every player makes clangers. It's all about how those clangers affect the team as opposed to what the same player contributes to the team. Howe contributes far more to the team from the positive things he does rather than the negative things he does.

Take Phillips. Had 26 possessions against Geelong and wasted half of them. Against Melbourne he was much better despite a ball into the man on the mark and a boundary line kick, but overall contributed to the team win.

Footy is a team sport. It's not about the individual. It's only what the individual can bring to the team and I fail to see what Crameri offers to the team. Then again, I failed to see what Dunn could bring to the team last year and was totally wrong.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:16 am

^ no disagreement that he has been a huge net poisitive, BIFC, I was just surprised at the suggestion above that he is an exemplary kick. Either his technique or his situational awareness is ropey more often than It should be.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:19 am

Where did he get it?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:02 am

My apologies if I have missed the post but I am yet to read any smart BUSINESS reason as to why you would get rid of an experienced 28 year old after the first year of a four year deal. We all want to see the back of the worst contract offered in recent AFL history but I think that's just an emotional vent.

What do we actually gain by not even allowing him a preseason to redeem himself.
Do we shave any amount of money from the TPP if we unload him now ?
I believe the answer is NO ( and if it is YES, then he can go )
If we finish him up now, his spot either remains vacant on the primary list or we replace him with a contract to pick ninety something in the draft.

I know Liam Jones is a different player but everyone will tell you he was finished a few years ago too. I don't think Mayne will turn it around but the guy has pride and I believe it makes good sense to give him another preseason.
What I would do ( assuming he stays ) is have his role expanded to include onfield mentoring for the young guys in the VFL

I would also like to think that whoever was responsible for signing off on this deal, would have had his employment terminated at the club long before Mayne
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:39 pm

Did we make an error with Mayne? Yes.

But I think all we can do is just cop it on the chin and at least see what happens in 2018.

Yes, it's a lot to pay someone that will spend most of his time in the VFL, but we have to see if he can turn it around as we gain nothing by letting him go now.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:15 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Did we make an error with Mayne? Yes.

But I think all we can do is just cop it on the chin and at least see what happens in 2018.

Yes, it's a lot to pay someone that will spend most of his time in the VFL, but we have to see if he can turn it around as we gain nothing by letting him go now.

We gain a spot on our list for a young promising kid. The Mayne contract is a sunk cost. It's done and we can't recover any of it, because next year he will be even slower than this year. Just pay him out, let him go and suffer the salary cap penalty. It's a disaster either way.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:18 pm

^ I disagree - unless time actually stops, it is inconceivable that he could be slower next year.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:41 pm

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-01/mix-up-with-mayne-recruitment-concedes-buckley
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12   

Jump to: