Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ever seen a pink robin?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Android, yes? Does it do 5G?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:14 pm

Tannin wrote:
You will be fine with the 5D II Jo. So long as you don't expect anything much from the AF system, it is otherwise an excellent camera - quite outstanding when you realise how old it is. I can look at, say, a landscape taken with my 5D IV next to one taken with the ancient 5D II and not see any real difference. There are a few small usability features the 7D II has that you'll notice aren't there, but no show stoppers.

Oddly enough, I've never owned a Sigma lens. They used to be pretty unreliable back in the day, but they are way, way better now.

Currently I have the Canon 600/4 II, 100-400 II, 70-300L, 100L macro, 24-105/4 Mark 1 (the newer Mark II isn't any improvement, so I kept the old one), Tamron 85/1.8 (nice!), Canon 40/2.8 pancake (cute!), 35/1.2L Mark 1, 16-35/4, TS-E 24 Mark 1, and a delightful Tokina 10-17 fisheye zoom. Oh, and the 500/4 but I'm not using that.

The Tamron 100-400 is indeed weak. It is built to a price. The Canon 100-400 Mark II is awesomely good. Far and away superior to anything else in its class.

Here is a test for you: take your 100-400 II and shoot some tests at 400mm, both hand-held and with a tripod. Repeat the test with a Sigma 150-600. (Or any other cheap 600.) Now crop the 400mm shots to the same field of view as the 150-600. Blow them both up to the same resolution. Compare. Chances are, you'll find that the Canon results are better.

If my 100-400 II was 18 years old, I'd marry it.

hehehhe!! hmm thanks, lots to think about, ive kinda hinted about the 1DX, i mena i know i dont need it, and i even said id take the older model since its only $8k compared to $11K!!

i do love the 7Dmk2, its out of this world, and i treat it so so well!! I know if i killed it id just straight away buy another, or what ever the latest model was at the time! the speed of it, i just figured the speed which only the 1DX matches, and well, im guessing the 1DX processor is amazing, nah who am i kidding, i just want the best one!!

if i decide i like the 5d mk2 and can pick up a later model, new or almost new, would that be a good thing? is the focus better on the later models?

ill try that test, maybe tomorrow, hubby is on site somewhere, so plenty of time!

hmm so 12 lenses, i thought WOW, then i counted, i have 12 too! though that 600mm L is all of mine put together and then some!! im sure some poeple would take offence at the sigma 150-600mm being called a cheap lens at $1400 but then i tried the 600L! oh man thats a lens. and its so light, it looks so heavy!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I used to have one of these, that's the extent of my camera knowledge.

for some reason people keep giving me old cameras, i now have 3 vintage ones! good props!!

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:32 pm

^Nice. It would be even more frightening to get those 80s pics developed!

If you're a complete novice and a tight arse at the same time, is there a surprisingly good beginner's DSLR and zoom lens option for bird watching?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:39 pm

Yes, PTID. Look for a second-hand Canon 7D and a Canon 100-400 Mark 1. I wrote about the 100-400 Mark II above, they are superb but around $3000ish. You'd pick up a nice Mark 1 for under $1000, possibly well under.

For the camera, a 7D Mark 1 would be excellent and fairly cheap, though not great when the light is poor. Failing that, any of the semi-pro Canon crop bodies: 60D, 70D, 80D. At a pinch, a 50D. Or, best of all, a 7D Mark II (Jo and I both have them) but they are still being made new, so might not please the miser in you.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:03 pm

I’ve seen the 7D mk2 on special recently, maybe the 3 is coming out. Also, have a look on Facebook marketplace, I’ve noticed a lot of camera gear for sale, people need the money. I bought my 7Dmk2 new but the 5D was preloved. they are pro cameras so for one thing, people buy them and can’t use the, plus the expected life time shutter counts are a n the hundreds of thousands! A bargain isn’t that hard to find.

And definitely the L lenses, I love them, just look around, both of mine were bought off of people who really look after things, I wouldn’t but one that didn’t look new, and I couldn’t try first. And the 1.4 extender is brilliant, apparently the 2 is a bridge too far!

I agree with the 70D etc too, my first camera was a 700D and I got some incredible wild bald eagle shots with it in Alaska.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: