Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Australian federal election 2022

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:04 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh well nice to see the right wingers losing šŸ˜Ž Letā€™s celebrate democracyšŸŽˆšŸ‘šŸ½
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:55 am

eddiesmith wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
Well, that's a surprise, though possibly not to you locals.

Is it more a cyclical shift or was the ALP less on the nose than the Glibs? Or is it purely the fact that winning independents are more likely to be ALP-aligned ?

Any interesting policy implications?

Anti LNP sentiment but ALP has also lost 2% of primary vote.

But getting a 4th term was always unlikely, the fact the ALP havenā€™t won comfortably says a lot about how they arenā€™t seen in a very strong light either.

But with so many fake independents, for once in a hung parliament the Greens wonā€™t have much power, despite picking up seats.

Still beat Coalation very easy.

What you mean Fake Independents?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:15 am

^ I suppose he means the Teals:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/21/teal-independents-punish-liberal-moderates-for-inaction-on-climate-crisis-and-integrity-commission

Quote:
The teal independents are on track to win at least five seats from the Liberals, punishing the partyā€™s moderate wing for not securing strong enough action on the climate crisis or introducing a federal integrity commission.

The treasurer and longstanding MP for the Victorian seat of Kooyong, Josh Frydenberg, was set to be the most high-profile loss to the independents backed by the Climate 200 group.

The teal wins will have implications for the makeup of the Liberal party after the election, with the number of self-styled moderates in the party room eroded.

The convenor of Climate 200, Simon Holmes Ć  Court, said the results showed a significant proportion of Australians were ā€œsick of nine years of failureā€ on climate policy.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:36 am

Well, it sounds better for climate policy if the teals are Glib-lite??
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:46 am

76 House of Representatives seats is the majority number.

The Liberals look to have lost 22 seats, nationwide, so that the LNP now has just 53 seats (the split is, roughly, Liberal 44, Nats 9).

The ALP looks like it will win 72 (gaining 9 and losing 3). Critically, the 3 seats the ALP appears to have lost are 2 Green gains in Brisbane and the local backlash about Keneally being parachuted into Sydney's Fowler.

The Greens look set to win 4. The "Teal" (climate) independents look to have won 7.

In Victoria, the ALP has gained Chisholm (on a swing of 8.1%) and Higgins (which, hilariously, includes Toorak - Prahran, South Yarra, Windsor, Toorak, Armadale, Malvern, Ashburton, Carnegie, Ormond, Murrumbeena and parts of Glen Iris) on a swing of 8.7%. A series of formerly "safe" Liberal seats are now becoming marginal (eg, Casey, which the Libs will retain on a margin that looks to be about 1.3%, Deakin, which will drop from a margin of over 10% to about 2.7% and Menzies, where the Libs lead by just 45 votes on the two-party preferred, at the moment). Correspondingly, formerly marginal ALP seats have seen huge swings to the ALP (eg, Corangamite - formerly held on a 1.1% majority will now be held by over 10%).

So, no apparent anti-Andrews vote in Victoria - the message seems to be a clear one. The electorate wanted the LNP out and sent quite specific messages about the climate crisis - safe Liberals in blue ribbon seats have been kicked out because the LNP was doing nothing useful about it and the ALP has lost votes to the Greens, especially in safe seats. It looks like the message to both parties is clear - sort the climate crisis or get a kicking.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:26 am

pietillidie wrote:
Just came across this. Is it having much impact on election prospects?
Quote:
Australia election: How climate is making Australia more unliveable

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-61432462

It decided the election.

Hence, this (which the conservatives won't want to mention): https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/may/22/australian-greens-hails-best-result-ever-with-dramatic-gains-in-lower-house-and-senate

Quote:
Adam Bandt has hailed a ā€œgreenslideā€ as the Greens recorded its best ever election result, winning two lower house seats and holding hopes for two more.

The Greens have won the inner Brisbane seat of Ryan, held Bandtā€™s own seat of Melbourne and were ahead in the counts for the seats of Brisbane (held by the Liberal National party) and Griffith (Laborā€™s Terri Butler).

The party also expects to increase its numbers in the Senate, with hopes of winning seats in New South Wales, Queensland and South Australia.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:39 am

Iā€™m seeing mixed reports on whether Labor is on track for a slim majority (maybe 76/77) or will have to govern in minority with Green/independent support, which is obviously my preference. Either way, the results are extraordinary, and well beyond my wildest hopes ā€“ for the Greens alone, this is an election where theyā€™ve announced themselves as a formidable third force in Australian politics, with up to 5 lower house MPs and 12 senators.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:44 am

Well if thatā€™s true itā€™s a good thing, although Iā€™m not sure the new guy can hold back the flood like, um, that guy, well I havenā€™t read the bible, but Iā€™ve seen the picture!

I have to say, I took pretty much zero interest after doing a couple of online searches to see whoā€™s policies I like best, amd now I have no idea again!

Dumb it down for me, whatā€™s good, whatā€™s bad,

In saying that Iā€™m sure there has been a huge huge knee jerk reaction because of the last 2 years. And truth is no one will ever know ofthe other side would have even worse! Thenew guy appears to be a bit thick, I think I voted that way due to his parties policies on animal rights. I honestly canā€™t remember, certainly didnā€™t put a major party in the top three. ScoMo made some blunders, for sure, but I donā€™t think heā€™s a really bad dude, not like trump anyway! Or Whitlam! This was never a winnable election for him.

A lot of people lame governments for shit they canā€™t fully control. Covid was hopefully a once in a couple of lifetime thing, job keeper certainly saved a lot of families, but where did the money come from? I actually think the super for housing idea was brilliant. When you read the whole thing. People donā€™t. They birch about not enough ambulances or cops impinging the rights of people who are endangering all of us with idiotic protests during lockdown. All of these protests could have waited. As for ambulances, have you had a cold and tried to see a decent doctor? They wonā€™t let you in,well not easily. so people go to emergency or call ambulances out of desperation, clogging up the system, and people in real need of triple 0 die. Not to mention a desperate need for more of everything, nurses, doctors, paramedics, while these job sectors are being smashed by covid, depression, stress, huh, and people think they did it tough with a 5k lockdown, Iā€™d rather that than what those sectors went through. Or the cops. Yeah yeah everyone hates lazy good for nothing cops, but my sister was front line on the covid squad, and as much as she drives me crazy, I know just how hard the last 2 years have been for her. Medical sector and police sector depression, anxiety and suicide figures....and for trying to help is all. Gratitude and empathy, so sadly missing these days. ScoMo was dammed what ever decisions were made by anyone.

All I hope is some really tough lessons are learned.

For a start, donā€™t build houses in flood zones. if numbers are high, or you have a cold, wear a $£$%^%%$ mask or stay home. Common sense is a dying art.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 am

David wrote:
Iā€™m seeing mixed reports on whether Labor is on track for a slim majority (maybe 76/77) or will have to govern in minority with Green/independent support, which is obviously my preference. Either way, the results are extraordinary, and well beyond my wildest hopes ā€“ for the Greens alone, this is an election where theyā€™ve announced themselves as a formidable third force in Australian politics, with up to 5 lower house MPs and 12 senators.

According to the ABC, the ALP has won 72 seats, is "likely" to win Deakin (Vic) and Lingiari (NT) and "ahead" (which means, in substance, they have a mathematical but uncertain lead) in another 5. The 5 are:

- Sturt (890 vote lead, with 63.8% counted)

- Macnamara (probably an ALP v Green fight, with the ALP leading by 4,032 votes with 59.1% counted)

- Lyons (481 vote lead, 70.7% counted)

- Gilmore (1,370 vote lead 75.4% counted)

- Bennelong (1,237 voted lead, 56.0% counted),
roar 

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:15 am

It will interesting to see what happens to the LNP now.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:28 am

They'll probably just rename the Libs the "Queensland Party" - 20 of their 33 seats nationally are there. There's a hint in that, of course - sensible people who could read and write like Frydenberg and Birmingham have gone or become strangers as moderates in an increasingly reactionary party. The likelihood is that Dutton will "lead" them (for which, read "do whatever you do when you have an IQ 45 points below that necessary to lead a political party") for a short while.

The real concern for the LNP is that they've been hanging on to Qld on a fossil-fuel-abolition scare campaign. If the new government doesn't produce the catastrophic consequences for Qld jobs that allegedly underpinned that scare campaign, the LNP may never recover.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:32 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
David wrote:

According to the ABC, the ALP has won 72 seats, is "likely" to win Deakin (Vic) and Lingiari (NT) and "ahead" (which means, in substance, they have a mathematical but uncertain lead) in another 5. The 5 are:

- Sturt (890 vote lead, with 63.8% counted)

- Macnamara (probably an ALP v Green fight, with the ALP leading by 4,032 votes with 59.1% counted)

- Lyons (481 vote lead, 70.7% counted)

- Gilmore (1,370 vote lead 75.4% counted)

- Bennelong (1,237 voted lead, 56.0% counted),

A rare situation, then, where Iā€™m actually hoping the Liberals improve their position after pre-polls and mail-ins!

Hereā€™s a list of all the new teal independents whoā€™ve won or look like winning:

Zoe Daniel (Goldstein)
Kate Chaney (Curtin)
Kylea Tink (North Sydney)
Allegra Spender (Wentworth)
Sophie Scamps (Mackellar)
Monique Ryan (Kooyong) ā€“ ahead, not sure if confirmed

They join Zali Steggall, Andrew Wilkie, Helen Haines, Rebekha Sharkie, Bob Katter and the Greens on the crossbench. Iā€™m also quite satisfied by independent Dai Le (who isnā€™t a Teal, but more Liberal-aligned) defeating the loathsome Kristina Keneally in Fowler. All up, this will be by far the biggest lower-house crossbench the country has seen since World War II ā€“ the next biggest number of non-ALP/Coalition MPs after an election was 6. So things are changing in a big way.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:51 am

What seems to be very clear from the numbers is this was a vote against the LNP after 9 years, and Morrison.

On a Primary vote basis, Labor had a swing against of 0.5%. hardly a ringing endorsement for Albo

In Victoria, the swing against Labor in primary vote was 4%. That may not count as an Anti Dan vote but it will have some sphincters twitching at Dan HQ leading up to a state election.

The Teal Party ran a very clever, strategic, targeted campaign, right down to their colour choice of teal, combining small L Liberal values (Blue) with a Green tinge.

They targeted mainly Male Liberal members with Female candidates in affluent seats where that message would fly and while they took most of their votes from Labor and Greens, they took enough Liberal votes to take some seats. Whether that combination would work at a national level across the board or not is an intriguing proposition but certainly provides some food for thought. Interesting that the seats the Greens picked up were urban seats where the Teal Party chose not to field candidates. The Greens only got a 1.7% swing in Primary vote.

What will be interesting is how Albo approaches this if they don't get a majority in their own right. Will be form a formal coalition with the Greens which he has previously ruled out, or try to gather enough support from the cross benches to form a minority government and then rely on negotiation. The Teals aren't necessarily ideologically aligned to Labor values, just a couple of policy areas, so he likely won't get any traction with them if he tries to revive Shorten style policies.

Fun and games for the next 3 years it seems.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:54 am

To win the next State election in Victoria, the LNP needs a uniform 10.3% swing against the ALP - and to it. That's not going to happen.

There wasn't even a uniform Victorian swing in last night's election. What actually happened is that the ALP generally picked up votes everywhere it could win an election against the Libs but there was obviously a lot of strategic voting - plenty of progressives shifted their vote to Green and a lot of ALP voters in hopeless electorates obviously backed the anti-Lib climate change candidates in otherwise safe Liberal seats.

It's too difficult to do a seat by seat swing analysis to and from the ALP at this stage, given the way the votes are being reported as two-party preferred (many in places where the ALP isnā€™t one of the two parties) but one can see, out of the 37 Victorian Federal electorates, that on a two-party preferred basis:

- There was a swing to the ALP in 18 of the 37 seats;
- There was a swing to the Greens in 3 safe ALP seats;
- There was a swing to the Libs in 8 safe ALP seats;
- There was a swing against the ALP in 3 safe country Lib/Nat seats;
- There were massive swings to independents against the Libs or Nats in 4 seats, 2 of which changed hands;
- No swing is available in Bruce (I donā€™t understand why), which the ALP holds comfortably.

I have little interest in how what-passes-for-a-brains-trust-at-the-ALP thinks about these things but I suppose they might be thinking that:

- it doesnā€™t matter what happens in the bush, where they trail by margins of 25% or more;
- getting people to unite behind independents to dislodge or nearly dislodge safe Liberals at the expense of ALP two-party preferred votes is neither here nor there;
- the real threat in ALP-voting electorates is from the Greens.

Thus, far from being concerned about what the result might mean for Victoria, I reckon the State ALP would take huge comfort from these numbers. The ALP vote held or improved everywhere it mattered.

And on the World stage:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/the-only-way-is-up-for-french-relations-after-le-drian-takes-final-swipe-at-morrison-20220522-p5andy.html
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:24 am

The ABC has created a little change-over-time graphic, embedded in this article: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-22/election-how-labor-anthony-albanese-won/101087904 that shows how the LNP had a credible presence in all States (but not the Territories) before the election but now has a passable impact only in Queensland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 21 of 28   

Jump to: