Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Well done Toovey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lanstro 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

He's improving. Although he'll never be a star (he just doesn't seem to have the innate class about him), he'll end up a very good ordinary player. And every team needs a few of those.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:34 pm

member34259 wrote:
Piemind, a good coaching panel will look to the future and have a secondary plan in place for the early retirement, be it for personal reasons or injury.
That is the true measure of a coach and recruiting panel.

Oh you mean like Carlton have planned for FEV leaving, Hawthorn have planned for Taylor retiring, Bombers have succeeded with Neagle replacing Loyd, or the difficulties WB will have in replacing Johnson,

Its not that easy particularly in circumstances of unforeseen retirement.
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:13 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Newton's law.

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".

Yep pretty much sums up Tooves, you get the very good with the very bad.

He is an enigma.

This!!!

Best way to dicribe Tooves.

BARRACK HARD!
kickit2me Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:21 pm

He's Malthouse's Kevin Walsh.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:40 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
DaVe86 wrote:
Every team has lousy kickers.

St.Kilda have about 6 or 7. (Jones, Dawson, Baker, Blake, McQualter, Geary)

Even the highly skilled Doggies have 2 or 3 shockers. (Cross, Picken)

Tooves isn't there to be a high possession winner. He is there to shut down opponents. I judge him on that.

I think generally this year, he has been OK by foot. Not going for anything crazy...just playing the percentages. He'll keep getting better too.

Well as long as he Hardly Touches the Ball he would be Just Okay.

Still Think he make way of Blight when he is ready

I repeat.You know nothing about footy DTM.Toovey is a star in our best 18 and is there to stay.Make no mistake.All the white anting in the world will shift this kid.Blight.WTF has he done???? SFA.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
While everyone here acknowledges Toovey's limitations, it's instructive that almost no one questions his place in the side anymore. He's come a long way from being Nick's whipping boy a year or two ago.

The thing is, Toovey also knows his limitations, and plays as much as he can within those limitations. Nick Maxwell did much the same for years, building his confidence to the point where eventually he was able to add an attacking dimension to his game.

I think Alan Toovey is officially the most underrated player on our list. He's played just over 50 games. I will stick my neck out and predict he'll play another 100.

+50 PP.A 200 gamer for sure. Cool
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 pm

nulla wrote:
jmcp wrote:
member34259 wrote:
How many games Toovey?
Website say 52, so in my opinion he has just become an AFL player.
Never judge a player under 50 games, so his next 10-20 games will give me all the info I need.

*edit* Can I also state here that I like the boy?

given that the average afl career is only four years long, he is going ok.

I did not know that... can it be said then that those beyond that average are above average players... maybe it depends on a few other factors as well.

Not picking here but Rus has near on lasted that long in the medical rooms

it's only an average and there are always some exceptions to the rule.

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:27 pm

ThePieMind wrote:
member34259 wrote:
Piemind, a good coaching panel will look to the future and have a secondary plan in place for the early retirement, be it for personal reasons or injury.

Oh you mean like Carlton have planned for FEV leaving, Hawthorn have planned for Taylor retiring, Bombers have succeeded with Neagle replacing Loyd, or the difficulties WB will have in replacing Johnson,

None of them are Collingwood.
We pay above the odds ,as Eddie has stated in the past, to make sure we are not like the common clubs.
If you want to compare the great CFC with the filth, then go ahead. I believe that our President has spoken that we will pay the extra dollars not to be put in that situation.
That we have been put in that situation is an indictment on him, the coaching panel and you.
mel_kay39 

PIES PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:32 pm

David wrote:
I thought he was good as usual, and did the things that he's in the side for (tackling, pressure, run out of defence). Still, he did have a number of shocking disposals, including one in the last quarter which could have been disastrous. I think he still needs to work on that aspect of his game a bit.

Agreed. He has his good points - he tries his heart out and MM really values that. Unfortunately one day his poor disposal may cost us a goal at a crucial point in an equally crucial game. I hope not, and I also hope he realises this and works at improving how he delivers the ball, particularly by foot (but as someone said, some of his handballs are wayward, too). His second efforts the other night were great, just as they are most weeks. I just wish he would stop kicking the ball out of bounds on the full. I know what he's trying to do - pretend he's kicking up the ground to a player and have it go over the line, for a throw in closer to our goals, but twice on Sunday it was judged out of bounds on the full and gave the Dogs a free kick. Was frustrating the shit out of me!

ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:25 pm

member34259 wrote:
ThePieMind wrote:
member34259 wrote:

None of them are Collingwood.
We pay above the odds ,as Eddie has stated in the past, to make sure we are not like the common clubs.
If you want to compare the great CFC with the filth, then go ahead. I believe that our President has spoken that we will pay the extra dollars not to be put in that situation.
That we have been put in that situation is an indictment on him, the coaching panel and you.

I think I draw the line at prophecy and fortune telling - I'm unaware that we have money to ensure that we are covered in these areas, otherwise we would have been prepared for the unforeseen retirement of Clement.

There's just some things that money can't buy - Even Eddie has his limits
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:27 pm

Money can buy anything.
Just ask the mining industry! Can buy you a whole political party.........
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:32 pm

Compare:

Tannin wrote:
I blame the coaching staff (for our "lack of shut-down defenders"), Too much emphasis on attack, they need to remember that a defender's FIRST duty is to defend.

ThePieMind wrote:
How can you blame the coaching staff - they did not cause Clements premature retirement.

^ This is a classic dirty debating trick: simply pretend that your opponent said something bad or stupid that they did not, in fact, say at all. It works very well, unless you are caught out with the proof - which, thankfully, is readily available for all to read earlier in this thread.

In reply, Tannin wrote:
Who the hell said anything about blaming the coaching staff for Jimmy retiring? Certainly not me. As should be obvious to anyone who actually bothered to read my post.

ThePieMind wrote:
Please re-read my post I think it is quite clear, and does not accuse you of blaming the coaching staff for Clements retirement

^ Straight-out untruth. No ifs, no buts, you are not telling the truth. Read your own posts.

• Post 1: You say that I "blame the coaching staff" for "Clements premature retirement". (Flat wrong.)
  • Post 2: You pretend that you did "not accuse" me "of blaming the coaching staff for Clements retirement". (Flat wrong again.)

Now I don't mind robust debate. If you want to disagree with me, you are perfectly entitled to do so. But you are not entitled to make up lies about what I did or did not say, and I will make a point of bringing any further untruths from you to the attention of the Nick's community.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm with Tannin on this, ThePieMind had his post totally wrong and I thought so before Tannin's understandably apoplectic reply. It was a pretty unfair accusation.

As speaker of the house I ask that the honourable member withdraw the remark Cool

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:56 pm

mel_kay39 wrote:
David wrote:
I thought he was good as usual, and did the things that he's in the side for (tackling, pressure, run out of defence). Still, he did have a number of shocking disposals, including one in the last quarter which could have been disastrous. I think he still needs to work on that aspect of his game a bit.

Agreed. He has his good points - he tries his heart out and MM really values that. Unfortunately one day his poor disposal may cost us a goal at a crucial point in an equally crucial game. I hope not, and I also hope he realises this and works at improving how he delivers the ball, particularly by foot (but as someone said, some of his handballs are wayward, too). His second efforts the other night were great, just as they are most weeks. I just wish he would stop kicking the ball out of bounds on the full. I know what he's trying to do - pretend he's kicking up the ground to a player and have it go over the line, for a throw in closer to our goals, but twice on Sunday it was judged out of bounds on the full and gave the Dogs a free kick. Was frustrating the shit out of me!

Any player's mistake can cost a crucial goal at a crucial time. Sure, some players are more error-prone than others, but they're playing AFL football because their strengths far outweigh their weaknesses. I think we as supporters are far too unforgiving of players making mistakes - far worse than coaches, in fact.

Penguin Pie Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 pm

David wrote:
I don't really rate Tooves, just think there are better long-term options in the VFL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: