Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lost at selection?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barrackers 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Delete
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:55 am

Moronic posts aplenty here. In FACT, we finished the game with 22 players and very nearly won. With Moore or Reid in the side, we would not have come anywhere near so close. Not just huge injury risks, neither one had played since forever.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:01 am

Tannin wrote:
Moronic posts aplenty here. In FACT, we finished the game with 22 players and very nearly won. With Moore or Reid in the side, we would not have come anywhere near so close. Not just huge injury risks, neither one had played since forever.

Spot on, exactly how we saw it

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:24 am

Tannin wrote:

Look at the scoreboard mate. We lost. If you don’t want to analyse why we lost and what we have to do to get better so we get past WCE next year then fair enough. Your bias against Moore is pretty clear.

Hope you enjoy next year’s GF when we lose again.
mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:38 am

There were no selection issues. The game was lost by those 3 green maggots who purport to be fair. The hit on Maynard in the first 1/4,,should not only have been a free kick,Ryan?? should have been reported and given a 50 mtr penalty.Cox was held and or blocked on at least 3 seperate occasions, all within range.The block on Maynard that resulted in the winning goal even had Ling saying it was clear block.Just prior to that we had the ball in our forward line,McGovern got the ball and ran off to kick and was brilliantly tackled and his foot missed the ball.Clearly incorrect disposal no more than 20 mtrs out.The one and only deliberate out of bounds was paid against Treloar and was described by the commentators as being,"Vigorously tackled and slings he kicked.What else could he have done"???This resulted in another repeat entry to west coast.Brilliant tackling by our boys was rarely rewarded and those 3 scum of the earth should hang their heads in shame, but I expect the AFL,as did the commentators will say they covered themselves in glory.Our boys were out gunned by a much too big for us unit. While I'm here I'll have my say on a few issues that cost us through player error. The first and one of the most crucial was the Eagles first goal, that fluke that hit one of their legs and led to 2 in a minute, was Langdon, who had done all the hard work in spoiling and scrambling was 1/2 mtr out from their goal and all he had to do was scramble it over the behind line, but it looked like he tried to keep it in play and managed, somehow,to push it into the square and it hit Rioli's leg as he ran onto it.As good a game as Langdon played, that was unforgiveable and they scored another almost immediately, stuffing up a premiership winning first qtr.Second was when we got the ball out of defence,3rd qtr I think, we got out and were streaming forward it got into Pendelbury's hands and Miochek led into the pocket,3 mtrs clear.As usual, Pendles kick was poor and not only did it miss Miochek and he didn't go hard, he let it bounce,McGovern swooped and they went coast to coast for a goal.I was very critical of Miochek for dropping a LOT of marks but even worse, he fell over just about every time leaving the Eagles to clear, easily. The 3rd is the DeGoey play on, in the last.He has kicked goal after goal from that position yet he played on ,could have straightened up or looked for someone in a front on spot, but wanted to do it all, which would have put us 3 goals up and in a winning position, but NO!!All pipe dreams now.I don't know where we go from here.We won't get anyone we are linked to.May appears to be out of reach, we clearly need a Key Back and a big forward.It's another lost opportunity and another grand final loss to add to the list.I have never felt such devastation before. I said I was finished here but this is my final, last hurrah.Fair well during the off season.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:44 am

Well, I’m very interested in analysing why we lost but I don’t think it was the backline. They held up well against a forward line that had a third more inside 50s than ours did. Kennedy and Darling kicked 4 between them. They are good footballers (although Darling remains a pea heart) and will do damage if they get enough chances. Their midfield won the game - they kicked about half West Coadt’s goals, whereas Adams was our only midfielder to hit the scoreboard.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:49 am

Backline wasn't the problem, they kicked 11 goals with all that supply, I thought the backline was epic, as was Mayne.

It was, as others have pointed out, the lack of run and spread in the last, and it was clearly because the boys were absolutely spent; that's the problem with the run and gun style, when it comes to the finals crunch of a close game, what you really need is a down the line contested marker, in fact you need 2 or 3.

Cox did very well, we just needed another

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
Backline wasn't the problem, they kicked 11 goals with all that supply, I thought the backline was epic, as was Mayne.

It was, as others have pointed out, the lack of run and spread in the last, and it was clearly because the boys were absolutely spent; that's the problem with the run and gun style, when it comes to the finals crunch of a close game, what you really need is a down the line contested marker, in fact you need 2 or 3.

Cox did very well, we just needed another

Exactly

We simply needed a little more, and we didn’t have it, sometimes the other team is better, they were, probalby more than 5 points better, but by gee we made em work for it.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:53 am

Tannin wrote:

Well one thing is certain - we lost with what we took in with us - that's a 100%

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:20 am

^Yes, the exact same line up that lost narrowly to this team in a Qualifying Final in similar circumstances.

Again in the last quarter of that match, their midfield got on top and their tall forwards did some damage.

Moore or Reid helps mitigate that aerial edge - as the ball comes in to our defence but also as we try and take the ball out via our kick outs. We seemed to have no avenues to clear the ball out effectively in the 4Q. While Cox was doing his bit, he played a lone hand as a tall, marking option.

Anyway, this forum is not for sniping at one another (incl describing others reasonable observations, based upon observations at the past 4 weeks of training, as moronic) but to discuss what we see with respect to our common love of the Pies.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 am

mudlark wrote:
There were no selection issues. The game was lost by those 3 green maggots who purport to be fair. The hit on Maynard in the first 1/4,,should not only have been a free kick,Ryan?? should have been reported and given a 50 mtr penalty.Cox was held and or blocked on at least 3 seperate occasions, all within range.The block on Maynard that resulted in the winning goal even had Ling saying it was clear block.Just prior to that we had the ball in our forward line,McGovern got the ball and ran off to kick and was brilliantly tackled and his foot missed the ball.Clearly incorrect disposal no more than 20 mtrs out.The one and only deliberate out of bounds was paid against Treloar and was described by the commentators as being,"Vigorously tackled and slings he kicked.What else could he have done"???This resulted in another repeat entry to west coast.Brilliant tackling by our boys was rarely rewarded and those 3 scum of the earth should hang their heads in shame, but I expect the AFL,as did the commentators will say they covered themselves in glory.Our boys were out gunned by a much too big for us unit. While I'm here I'll have my say on a few issues that cost us through player error. The first and one of the most crucial was the Eagles first goal, that fluke that hit one of their legs and led to 2 in a minute, was Langdon, who had done all the hard work in spoiling and scrambling was 1/2 mtr out from their goal and all he had to do was scramble it over the behind line, but it looked like he tried to keep it in play and managed, somehow,to push it into the square and it hit Rioli's leg as he ran onto it.As good a game as Langdon played, that was unforgiveable and they scored another almost immediately, stuffing up a premiership winning first qtr.Second was when we got the ball out of defence,3rd qtr I think, we got out and were streaming forward it got into Pendelbury's hands and Miochek led into the pocket,3 mtrs clear.As usual, Pendles kick was poor and not only did it miss Miochek and he didn't go hard, he let it bounce,McGovern swooped and they went coast to coast for a goal.I was very critical of Miochek for dropping a LOT of marks but even worse, he fell over just about every time leaving the Eagles to clear, easily. The 3rd is the DeGoey play on, in the last.He has kicked goal after goal from that position yet he played on ,could have straightened up or looked for someone in a front on spot, but wanted to do it all, which would have put us 3 goals up and in a winning position, but NO!!All pipe dreams now.I don't know where we go from here.We won't get anyone we are linked to.May appears to be out of reach, we clearly need a Key Back and a big forward.It's another lost opportunity and another grand final loss to add to the list.I have never felt such devastation before. I said I was finished here but this is my final, last hurrah.Fair well during the off season.

Thanks for raising my spirits mate just from reading your post. So devestated at the moment it helps to talk things over to get over it. If I watch a replay of the game I never want to watch a repeat of the last 2-3 minutes of the game where you recall being at the game and watching it unfold and being helpless to alter the score line about to happen. Worse still fleeing the ground to avoid watching faces of the Collingwood players exhausted on the ground whose whole season just went up in smoke. Then passing children outside the ground crying. You want to be positive about what we achieved this year but if we rest on our laurels, this competition is vicious and will do to us next year, what it did to Adelaide this year.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:51 am

Cox was getting whacked across the ears, blatantly. He's 211cm tall, how the **** did the umps not see that?
Hm Leo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:02 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Cox was getting whacked across the ears, blatantly. He's 211cm tall, how the **** did the umps not see that?

Conspiracy theory: After giving the bulldogs twice as many free kicks to Sydney in 2016 and then helping Richmond to a flag, the AFL could not afford to be seen as bias against WCE and for 3 years in a row allow the home team to be premiers against the interstate club. So they got the frees and 50 metre penalties when they mattered most. My wife is a "new" Collingwood supporter and said "what did you expect the umpiring always goes against Collingwood in crucial times".
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:44 pm

A strong, fit and in form Moore or Reid would have certainly won us the Grannie, but the fact is neither of them had the necessary form or physical conditioning, that could be relied upon.
John LEWIN 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:28 pm

This is an excellent thread, it really pinpoints what's required. I saw the team up close today as they were walking to the supporters function, very lean athletically built players. I can see how they got through 104 tackles, chasing like greyhounds. The Eagles are a strong balanced and efficient team they just managed to get past our game with some help from the umpires.

I felt we lost a key piece of the puzzle when Dunn went down and said so at the time. As I watched the players go by today it stood out. But, additionally, the general observations here about marking power around the ground are spot on as is the point about the need for a little more in the midfield, Degoey maybe, some physical prowess to push the confrontational conflict envelope and address the waning of Pendlebury's supremacy.

Clearly we played with a plan built around our depleted playing stocks but couldn't quite pull off the running game. Maybe that is because we were a little more worn than the Eagles over the journey. Perhaps Pendles was off a bit due to meningitis, which wouldn't be at all surprising.

I think it is eminently debatable that we might have played Reid or Moore instead of Aish. It would have been a lively discussion at match committee but in the end the decision to back the 22 selected can't really be criticised with any great force because a whistle against Ryan's block would have seen the Pies win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: