Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cricket !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive seen England last few series and they have played good cricket. The fact is Australia in Australia are unbeatable and will destroy any opposition.

England have been hit hard by injury but i dont think are as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Marcus Trescothick is a gun batsman and he will improve as the series gets on i hope.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Abi 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:40 am

In the current English side most of the bowlers average well into the thirties, a shit attack. McGrath and Warne are very good as is Gilchrist, the top order batsmen are pretty good, but the middle order has been inconsistent for years now and would have been badly found out by good bowlers. Most attacks we have come up against have had very few bowlers with good averages. And even then the likes of Akram are just about over the hill.

Pie fan forever

Joel Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 4:56 am

But Abi, haven't England won their past few test series?

JDF

"We've never quit, and we won't."
Pies Premiers 2003 Aquarius

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 5:52 am

In honour of the Ashes series against the old foe (i.e."used to be a threat"), the time is opportune to regurgitate old jokes about pommie
cricketers!

Q. What is the height of optimism?
A. An English batsman putting on sunscreen.

Q. What would Glenn McGrath be if he was English?
A. An all-rounder.

Q. What is the main function of the England coach?
A. To transport the team from the hotel to the ground.

Q. Why is Darren Gough the unluckiest bowler on tour?
A. Because he was born in England.

Q. What's the English version of a hat-trick?
A. Three runs in three balls.

Q. Why don't English fielders need pre-tour travel injections?
A. Because they never catch anything.

Q. What's the English version of LBW?
A. Lost, Beaten, Walloped.

Q. What do you call a Englishman with 100 runs against his name?
A. A bowler.

Q. What's the most proficient form of footwork displayed by Stewart?
A. The walk back to the pavilion.

Q. Who has the easiest job in the England touring party?
A. The guy who removes the red ball marks from the bats.

Q. What does "Ashes" stand for?
A. Another Sad Horrific English Series.

Q. What do English batsmen and drug addicts have in common?
A. Both spend most of their time wondering where their next score will
come from.

Q. Why are English batsmen so fond of the new millennium?
A. Now they can at least say they passed a century.

Q. Why are English cricketers cleverer than Houdini?
A. Because they can get out without even trying.

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:14 am

If anyone has Foxtel you gotta watch Sth Africa v Sri Lanka tour. The one dayers should be starting now i think ? The sledging and tension between the two teams is a classic as they leave the stump microphone on. Its funny as both teams consider Australia to be bullies yet they sledge just as bad!! My mate also reckons Pakistan are the worst sledgers its just that we cant understand what they are saying

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:25 am

NOTE...Kallis is in rare form as too Pollock.....

is Rohesh kalwithernana still playing as opener for the lankens?

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:29 am

Nope Kalu is gone.......they have another skinny dude.......actually since Arjuna has left they all are skinny........lol

Ntini is the bowler who has improved the most. At start of Australian tour he was a "token" player based on their selection policy. But now he is bowling quick and fast and has turned things around very quickly

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:53 am

POOR OLD KALU....he was in sparkling form on a previous aussie visit....hopefully the lankens can take it up too the aussies as they need a solid build up for the WC

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:20 am

Not everyone visits the Bored Board so here's a bit of fun we're having over there. I asked ppl to speculate on how many runs Hayden will score in the second Test.

I went with 175.

Lisey, of course, said 777.

CQ thought 179.

Ben specified 140 in the first innings and 80 n.o. Presumably, as we cruise to a win.

Mrs Tarrant reckoned he'd score a quacker but added she was kidding.

From JLC: I think this will be Langers test match. Langer is due for a big score and all he needs to be is patient. He seems to be in too much of a rush or maybe the tests are too easy as Justin is a fighter.
Gilchrist should go crazy as well as he loves cutting and pulling and as mentioned previously by others the small boundaries square of the wicket should suit him

My money is on Justin Langer this test

jlc

Hey m8. The question was: How many runs will Haydos make in Adelaide ?

Incidentally, I hope you're right about Alfie and I also think Gilly is in for one of those special 'Gilly" innings and not just bcoz it's Adelaide. His unbeaten 60 in the first Test and a good hit out against the Bushrangers have him right back in form and we know this bloke doesn't need short boundaries to hit fours and sixes !!

And let's not forget the Shrek. No-one knows the Adelaide wicket like Lehmann.

Feel free to join in the 'how many runs will Haydos make in Adelaide?' guessing game.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!

KEEP SEPTEMBER FREE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:51 am

74 runs.....will only bat once....

THE PIES GO MARCHING ON
Abi 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:52 pm

Joel England winning their past few series is a further reinforcement of the overall weakness of world cricket. Aussies fortified by the academy and a more competitive environment are light years ahead but that doesn't make them the super team of all time. If England are beating other nations are weak are they? Think about it.

Pie fan forever

foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:25 pm

yeah the sri lanka/south africa test was a deadset classic. some of the sledging was hilarious! but it was good to see they all shook hands when pollock hit the winning runs.

i love murali. if he doesn't come out for the one-dayers here a lot of people will be shattered, and sri lanka won't stand a chance.

frankly it's taken me a while to warm to recent australian teams, though i respect their achievements. i just can't help but feel that if there were any decent fast bowlers in the world today we might see the REAL ability of some of these 'champion' aussie batsmen.

put some of the current aussie batsmen up against the champion west indies bowlers of the 80's and i think we'd see what the aussies are really made of. it's easy to maintain an above 50 average if the best fast bowlers you're gonna face this summer are caddick, hoggard, chaminda vaas, and fernando.

that's why it was so bloody exciting watching shoaib akhtar literally RIP through the aussie batsmen in the recent australia/pakistan series. guys like steve waugh and gilchrist didn't know what hit them. it was classic.

mind you, i still think gilchrist is the pick of the aussie batsmen. where hayden has become a great player through sheer hard work and concentration, gilchrist is a supremely natural stroke-making talent.

of the current aussie batsmen, i'd tip that guys like gilchrist, martyn, and ponting (all fluent and natural strokemakers) would fare best against REALLY good fast bowling.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:36 pm

Yeah i agree Foxy, Akhtar in full flight was amazing to watch. The aussies didnt know what had hit them. Brett Lee can bowl quick as well but at the end of the day he is a bit predictable. I have never seen a bowler get so excited at dismissing a tail ender like Brett Lee does....lol

I reckon if McGrath and Gilespie and Warne bowled to the current Australian batsmen in test match conditions they would roll them quick smart.

The Windies of the Eighties were awesome. Having Big Bird fielding in the gully was pure genius. Plus they were of the philosophy that they could defend any score and most of the time this was proven to be correct.

Even the batsmen were fairly arrogant ie Viv Richards never bothered with a helmet and Richie Richardson didnt wear one often......lol But i guess if an opposition bowler ever hit one of their batsmen he was a deadman.....Garner, Holding, Marshall would have made sure he was paid back in kind!!!!!!!!!!

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
scud 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:01 pm

Foxy I wouldn't put Gilchrist as the best batsman in the aussie team because he has such an easy job. He comes in at seven when the ball is old and the fielders and bowlers are tried. He usually comes in with over 300 runs already on the board and under no pressure. I believe he is a great batsman but ponting is the best batsman in the test side. He was playing test cricket at 18. Enough said. Hayden is the second best followed by gilly, marto, langer, boof and steve.steve should be dropped for love

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:25 pm

I seem to recall Gilchrist playing a great knock in Hobart against Pakistan when the pressure was on.

Ponting has yet to prove himself against quality spin bowling.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11   

Jump to: