Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Destination Club: We now are.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't won anything yet, so there's a way to go in the process.

Improving the culture and hysteria management, and protecting players instead of bowing to media pressure and crucifying them is one ingredient (in progress).

Another ingredient is having a good team vibe and playing expressive, exciting footy (check).

A further ingredient is being trusted to win silverware rather than folding under the expectations, media targeting and histrionics (to come).

Sensible recruiting and salary management bind the whole, which thanks to Wrighty is also gradually being realised.

We've got the right football people in place for these, and the pres and new CEO are smartly keeping low profiles, ensuring we're a small target, so the direction of travel is very positive.

The (eventual) mature support and protection of Jordy, followed by the management of the Ginni and Ash Johnson situations, show that we're understanding that we need to have players' backs in the face of media mischief and hysteria, and life's ups and downs. Because this aspect of our culture is being led by our coach, who simply won't tolerate otherwise, this too is almost a check, but our shocking record means more proof is still required from us as an organisation.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:32 pm

inxs88 wrote:
Free agents available:

* Harry Himmelberg
* Ben McKay
* Tom Doedee

If you could select any two of the above, who would you pick or who do we need?

If Himmelberg decides to vacate GWS, his asking price might be right up there, but he does give Mihocek-like value for the dollar.

McKay again would come with a massive price tag; I'm doubting we could afford him on the books anytime soon; at least till Treloar and Grundy are wiped for good.

Doedee might be a great value for money get to replace Howe if he pulls the plug? Unless Doedee wants to go back to Geebung, but he won't find an elusive flag there anytime soon - that window is closing fast...

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:08 am

Imagine introducing a prospective recruit to a video package : the history, the facilities, the big game experiences of ANZAC day, QB, finals and our home crowd. Then, they roll in Macrae and co to cover the past 18 months, the new management, the mums / family involvement.
It's brilliant.
Where do I sign...

Think Carltoon could do the same...

We're a new Club, onfield and off.

And Loving It .jpg

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Thu May 18, 2023 4:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
jonmac1954 

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 7:33 am

pietillidie wrote:
We haven't won anything yet, so there's a way to go in the process.

Improving the culture and hysteria management, and protecting players instead of bowing to media pressure and crucifying them is one ingredient (in progress).

Another ingredient is having a good team vibe and playing expressive, exciting footy (check).

A further ingredient is being trusted to win silverware rather than folding under the expectations, media targeting and histrionics (to come).

Sensible recruiting and salary management bind the whole, which thanks to Wrighty is also gradually being realised.

We've got the right football people in place for these, and the pres and new CEO are smartly keeping low profiles, ensuring we're a small target, so the direction of travel is very positive.

The (eventual) mature support and protection of Jordy, followed by the management of the Ginni and Ash Johnson situations, show that we're understanding that we need to have players' backs in the face of media mischief and hysteria, and life's ups and downs. Because this aspect of our culture is being led by our coach, who simply won't tolerate otherwise, this too is almost a check, but our shocking record means more proof is still required from us as an organisation.

Agree with all except description of media as 'mischievous' - far too soft a description.
Howard and his two mates cooked up a 2 person media exclusivity and the right wing nutjobs concocted legislation to allow a total monopoly of all media services for two individuals.
We now have the consequences - coldly calculated cynical attacks upon individuals secure in the knowledge of media invulnerability with no free press left to raise a voice of protest.
Remember that the first casualty of war is the truth - and the mainstay of this is total control of the media.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:23 pm

Quote:
If Himmelberg decides to vacate GWS, his asking price might be right up there, but he does give Mihocek-like value for the dollar.

I hope you're right. I feel like we're where Melbourne was leading into them acquiring the likes of Lever and May to underpin their Premiership push.

Slotting Himmelberg into our backline along with the likes of Frampton Moore and Murphy would certainly give it an injection of class.
If the backline becomes stacked, his ability to play forward would clearly be a bonus.
Just depends if he wants to trade off say $150-200k a year for the potential to play in this juggernaut.
I've no idea what price he'd command, I'm guessing $750k p.a.

All of these higher profile players would certainly be aware of the new CBA yet to land. I'd see that as a big reason before any material contacts are likely to land this year.

AFL Players Association boss Paul Marsh said the players and the AFL were “a long way apart on everything” in the CBA negotiations, with the league making its first proposal during April.
The AFLPA is pushing for 32 per cent of total revenue to be returned to players in a joint AFL-AFLW collective bargaining agreement. Under the previous CBA the AFL players received 28 per cent and the AFLW players the equivalent of 2.5 percent, so Marsh said the effective combined level had been at 30.5 per cent and the players were now looking at an increase to 32 per cent.[/quote]

LaurieHolden Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:17 pm

A bit of Gold from Titus.

Oliver.jpg

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:16 pm

piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Free agents available:

* Harry Himmelberg
* Ben McKay
* Tom Doedee

McKay again would come with a massive price tag; I'm doubting we could afford him on the books anytime soon; at least till Treloar and Grundy are wiped for good.

Doedee might be a great value for money get to replace Howe if he pulls the plug? Unless Doedee wants to go back to Geebung, but he won't find an elusive flag there anytime soon - that window is closing fast...

McKay because we need another tall with potential for quality outings. I would hope our system helps him improve.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:08 pm

It seems like we had $$$ aside for Doedee who seemingly is getting $600,000+ from the Lions and if Adams leaves, you'd think he was on $600,000 approx. Does this $1,200,000 = a war chest??? Smile
Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:03 pm

inxs88 wrote:
It seems like we had $$$ aside for Doedee who seemingly is getting $600,000+ from the Lions and if Adams leaves, you'd think he was on $600,000 approx. Does this $1,200,000 = a war chest??? Smile

And who at AFLHQ is constantly pushing players towards Brisbane? They are desperate to keep QLD interested in the AFL so I don't think my theory is completely baseless.

Neale, Charlie Cameron, Daniher, Gunston and now Doodee.

Newelly Aries

newelly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:12 pm

Newelly wrote:
piedys wrote:
inxs88 wrote:
Free agents available:

* Harry Himmelberg
* Ben McKay
* Tom Doedee

McKay because we need another tall with potential for quality outings. I would hope our system helps him improve.

Actually, Himmelberg might be better than Spud McKay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4   

Jump to: