Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

David Hookes - Assualt or Manslaughter?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

And you were there every ten metres were you?

Surrounded probably by yelling, other idiotic security encouraging no doubt, while all throughout you have alcohol induced taunts and abuse. Yes, I can see it, him sitting there every ten metres like "The Thinker', hand on chin...'hmmmm-should I walk on or not?'

Absolutely no excuse though, but stopping and thinking?

Please.

Obviously he didn't have the capacity to deal with that situation-like many others. Hence the law reviews.

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:27 pm

JLC wrote:
There are better things that taxpayers money can be spent on then propping up this guy in jail.

jlc

yeh, a bullet would be much cheaper. im sick and tired of the soft laws australia has.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:07 pm

tessa403 wrote:
The so-called Political Correctness that you people downgrade protects me from people like this guy who would otherwise find that’s its OK to do what they want to people like myself. Would you prefer we went back to a world where what happened to me would have only been one of the stories I could tell about being bashed?
You can't be half hearted about this “new” world we live in, its not perfect but FFS its better than what we had only 7 years ago.

Tess, looks like we'll have to agree-to disgree on this one. IMHO Political Correctness is hugely responsible for thugs like this prick, murderers, rapists, drug dealers etc getting dragged into court by police who work their arses off 24/7, only to have these parasites walk away holding their lawyers hand after they've been smacked on the wrist.
Not perfect but better than 7 years ago you say? From what i hear from the elder statesmen of our society, the streets were safer 40-50 years ago when people could feel safe in public. And perhaps back then a punch-up in a pub was sorted out by everybody shaking hands and buying each other a beer afterwards!
It's our laws which frustrate us so. Yes society has changed it's values for the worst as the decades pass, BUT the laws and penalties NEED to change with them accordingly. As society becomes more violent, the penalties must become more harsh. If i posted a poll on VPT asking whether or not capital punishment should be re-introduced into Australia, we all know the answer would be YES in a landslide in the current climate.
So Tess, whilest i feel your spirit of forgiveness is noble to those who have unjustly wronged you, many more of us feel let down and accept that some people are just violent by nature and are WAY beyond redemption.
They are the ones who need to be sent back to the Almighty with "REJECTED" stamped on their forehead in red-ink.

Dyso
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:19 pm

CQ wrote:
JLC wrote:
There are better things that taxpayers money can be spent on then propping up this guy in jail.

jlc

yeh, a bullet would be much cheaper. im sick and tired of the soft laws australia has.

Move to Iran then!
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:53 pm

i dont think ill be moving anywhere thankyou. besides i dont believe in 'allah' or any other 'god' for that matter.

well he will hopefully go to jail and we'll see how good his boxing skills are when its 5 vs 1, ha, he'll see what its like to be violated.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:26 am

piedys wrote:

Tess, looks like we'll have to agree-to disgree on this one. IMHO Political Correctness is hugely responsible for thugs like this prick, murderers, rapists, drug dealers etc getting dragged into court by police who work their arses off 24/7, only to have these parasites walk away holding their lawyers hand after they've been smacked on the wrist.

This guy's been slapped on the wrist? First you complain he only get's charged with assault, then after the charge is altered to manslaughter (as I predicted) you have already seen far enough into the future to know that he will either beat the rap, or if convicted, walk off with effectivley a slap on the wrist. (Which judging by the tone of your previous posts, would be anything less than the death penalty!) There were thugs, murderers, rapists etc before political correctness, and there'll be them during and after it.

piedys wrote:

Not perfect but better than 7 years ago you say? From what i hear from the elder statesmen of our society, the streets were safer 40-50 years ago when people could feel safe in public. And perhaps back then a punch-up in a pub was sorted out by everybody shaking hands and buying each other a beer afterwards!

From what I hear from elders...the plural of anecdote is DATA! Elders tell me it was more dangerous 50 years ago, now, who is correct? You can't claim the moral high ground or win an argument with "the good old days" routine. You might keep repeating yourself long enough for you to believe it, but I don't buy it.

piedys wrote:

It's our laws which frustrate us so.

Wrong!! Frustrate YOU so.

piedys wrote:

If i posted a poll on VPT asking whether or not capital punishment should be re-introduced into Australia, we all know the answer would be YES in a landslide in the current climate.

perhaps yes...and if you did it a week ago, the answer would have perhaps been NO...and if you did in in a year, it'd probably be NO again. Proving what...people vote with their emotions? The death penalty works, just look at how murder and violent assault rates have gone down in Texas, for example.

piedys wrote:
So Tess, whilest i feel your spirit of forgiveness is noble to those who have unjustly wronged you, many more of us feel let down and accept that some people are just violent by nature and are WAY beyond redemption.
They are the ones who need to be sent back to the Almighty with "REJECTED" stamped on their forehead in red-ink.

Dyso

So I gather you support the death penalty...good for you. Now, explain how this would have prevented last Sunday's incident?, or the future occurence of something similar?
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:08 am

Special Delivery wrote:
And you were there every ten metres were you?

Surrounded probably by yelling, other idiotic security encouraging no doubt, while all throughout you have alcohol induced taunts and abuse. Yes, I can see it, him sitting there every ten metres like "The Thinker', hand on chin...'hmmmm-should I walk on or not?'

Absolutely no excuse though, but stopping and thinking?

Please.

Obviously he didn't have the capacity to deal with that situation-like many others. Hence the law reviews.

In some industries when you work with patrons who drink surely when taking the job you realise that you will get taunted by some of the patrons now and again. However it doesnt mean you go smack them and kill them. I think Mr Crowd Controller killer, should have taken a course on conflict resoloution and learn how to defuse and not inflame a situation.

jlc

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:24 am

JLC wrote:

In some industries when you work with patrons who drink surely when taking the job you realise that you will get taunted by some of the patrons now and again. However it doesnt mean you go smack them and kill them. I think Mr Crowd Controller killer, should have taken a course on conflict resoloution and learn how to defuse and not inflame a situation.

jlc

He did, he was licenced. Now, where does that leave 'the blame'?
dilly5 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:53 am

I have to say that I'm with Special Delivery- this man did a stupid, irresponsible thing. But hang on hang on guys- let's not forget that it is very very unlikely that it was his intention to kill anyone.

Everyone who has seen or been a part of a fight would have to know that there's BIG difference between throwing a couple of punches to teach someone a lesson, and actually intending to hit them hard enough to induce a heart attack and hope their head hits the concrete hard enough to kill them.

There are PLENTY of people out there (not just bouncers) who have done exactly the same thing and no-one is too bothered, because the outcome hasn't been as tragic. He just happened to hit the wrong guy and inadvertently induce the most tragic outcome.

Let's be honest about this- if Hookesy hadn't died, we would be going "ahh, that mug who gave Hookesy a black eye and a bump on the head.... but I guess these things happen"- if he had survived, we probably wouldn't have even considered the prospect of him dying in a pub fight -- but because of the unfortunate result of what was meant to be nothing more than an (unfortunately common) bouncers' touch up, all of a sudden everyone wants this guy hanging by his thumbs....
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:06 am

I think there's been some misconceptions regarding some of the law arguments. Some of us here who have put forward some sort of legal scenario seem to be getting lynched....but for what? the legal system exists so there's no point in naively disregarding it. WHAT THIS DOESN'T MEAN IS THAT WE CONDONE WHAT HE DID. Personally I think he's as big a piece of scum as the next person does, but the legal system is in place for a reason and I stand behind it.

Soft laws.....this is the best flippin country in the world to live in, soft laws or not.

There is always high emotion involved in these situations but emotion clouds judgement in a big way. Remove the emotion and look at the facts of the case. That is what the courts must do. The legal scenarios presented are not a "your wrong, I'm right" thing. It's more of a "don't be disappointed because murder probably won't happen and here is the reason why....etc"

To answer some questions posed earlier if it was my dad, uncle etc I would be calling for murder.....for a while, but my call would be emotionally charged, therefore my view clouded.

He set out to be a big man, to show his mates he was tough...I don't believe he went intentionally kill a man. Even if he did the prosecution could NEVER prove it without a confession. That is why you can scratch murder and pray the manslaughter charges stick. This guy is going to jail, no doubt about it. We have a chance to make some sort of good out of this terrible situation. David Hookes death cannot be undone, but the courts have a choice of how to handle another life. I'm one who still believes that some good can come of this much later on. I hope our judicial system sees things the same way.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:06 am

dilly5 wrote:
I have to say that I'm with Special Delivery- this man did a stupid, irresponsible thing. But hang on hang on guys- let's not forget that it is very very unlikely that it was his intention to kill anyone.

Everyone who has seen or been a part of a fight would have to know that there's BIG difference between throwing a couple of punches to teach someone a lesson, and actually intending to hit them hard enough to induce a heart attack and hope their head hits the concrete hard enough to kill them.

There are PLENTY of people out there (not just bouncers) who have done exactly the same thing and no-one is too bothered, because the outcome hasn't been as tragic. He just happened to hit the wrong guy and inadvertently induce the most tragic outcome.

Let's be honest about this- if Hookesy hadn't died, we would be going "ahh, that mug who gave Hookesy a black eye and a bump on the head.... but I guess these things happen"- if he had survived, we probably wouldn't have even considered the prospect of him dying in a pub fight -- but because of the unfortunate result of what was meant to be nothing more than an (unfortunately common) bouncers' touch up, all of a sudden everyone wants this guy hanging by his thumbs....

You gotta laugh.

The guy is meant to be a crowd CONTROLLER. His duty is to look after the patrons not to stalk them 70 metres from the premises and beat them.

Secondly this guy is a boxer. You would think he would know his capabilities and know better than to use them outside of the boxing ring.

Since when is stupidty and naivity a defence ?

jlc

Special Delivery 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:50 am

Now we're getting somewhere.

Stupidity and naivety are not defences-hence he will (I believe assassin) be doing time.

JLC you hit the nail on the head-he and all other crowd controllers must be put through a far more intensive program for conflict resolution-paid for by the AHA (Australian Hotels Association), and any other bodies that require their services, so quality staff are available.

And I'll just add that while I am a swing voter-Peter Costello should stay out of the debate. The law, and legal procedure failed David Hookes and many other patrons who have been victims of assault by not legislating effectively in this area of our society.

That's why the system failed, and why we have tragedies like this.

This incident has not been a case of wrong place/wrong time, it was a case of wrong person in the wrong job. Quite clearly indeed.

dilly5 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 12:52 pm

JLC I am not suggesting for a second that his stupidity or naivety should be, or even IS his defence, and I have already admitted that I think bouncers go way over the line in too many cases- especially this one. I think it's appalling that he followed them that far from the pub to 'finish the job'.
My point is only that his idea of 'finishing the job' most likely didn't include killing anyone, and had Hookesy happened to survived, nobody would have thought twice about the fact that a couple of bouncers followed a couple of patrons for a knock around.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:59 pm

Ok if you didnt intend to kill someone wouldnt you check to see if they are ok ?? Surely you wouldnt just walk off as if nothing had happened ??

Its quite simple really if he stuck to crown controlling at the hotel where he was employed and didnt provide an "after hours service" to the patrons nothing would have happened. Its a pretty big effort to walk about 70 metres to follow someone.

jlc

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:50 pm

tessa403 wrote:
piedys wrote:

Let me make this perfectly clear I have never for one minute contemplated forgiving the bastard. Something I didn't mention is that my cousins son is serving a very long sentence for mansluaghter. He killed someone during a street fight.

Tess, okay - firstly i stand corrected! Having re-read your post, you stated that you "have no malice/don't feel anything" towards your attackers. My apologies here, as i confused that with forgiveness.
Looks like i'm the one needing your forgiveness now!

In reference to your cousins sons crime, well, i'll presume he was young at the time of this fight? Tess, street fights are street fights, they're just like a punch up in a pub but the event is held outdoors! I don't know what the variables were here, whether alcohol was involved, whether it was only 2 of them or a whole bunch of people swinging punches at each other. So the point i'll try to make is that tempers frey and punches fly. So in this sitiuation people get hurt, that is the INTENTION of the fight! To belt sense into people who upset you or your friends. If it was a gang-related fight over territory or ego, with weapons produced, then i have no time or sympathy for that type of violence. So comparing a street fight to a CCE assualting a patron without REMORSE because he challanged your ego and authority, i believe are poles apart in INTENT.

Over to you Tess, if i have missed your point.

Dyso
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: