Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Well done Toovey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

For all the criticisms of his kicking, I ask his knockers to watch the last quarter again. Make no mistake, his courage and fierce attack on the ball and his opponent was a crucial factor in us winning the game. Tooves is without doubt a seriously underrated player. Well done mate.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:08 pm

Tannin wrote:
Compare:

Tannin wrote:
I blame the coaching staff (for our "lack of shut-down defenders"), Too much emphasis on attack, they need to remember that a defender's FIRST duty is to defend.

ThePieMind wrote:
How can you blame the coaching staff - they did not cause Clements premature retirement.

^ This is a classic dirty debating trick: simply pretend that your opponent said something bad or stupid that they did not, in fact, say at all. It works very well, unless you are caught out with the proof - which, thankfully, is readily available for all to read earlier in this thread.

In reply, Tannin wrote:
Who the hell said anything about blaming the coaching staff for Jimmy retiring? Certainly not me. As should be obvious to anyone who actually bothered to read my post.

ThePieMind wrote:
Please re-read my post I think it is quite clear, and does not accuse you of blaming the coaching staff for Clements retirement

^ Straight-out untruth. No ifs, no buts, you are not telling the truth. Read your own posts.

• Post 1: You say that I "blame the coaching staff" for "Clements premature retirement". (Flat wrong.)
  • Post 2: You pretend that you did "not accuse" me "of blaming the coaching staff for Clements retirement". (Flat wrong again.)

Now I don't mind robust debate. If you want to disagree with me, you are perfectly entitled to do so. But you are not entitled to make up lies about what I did or did not say, and I will make a point of bringing any further untruths from you to the attention of the Nick's community.

I said "How can you blame the coaches - they did not cause Clement premature retirement"
Let me interpret this for you:
You blame the coaches for our current predicament. I say this not the case because I believe that our current predicament is due to Clement retiring.
Therefore the coaches are not to blame for the current predicament, and by inference, the explaination must rest with Clements retirement.

In an earlier post I highlighted in RED what I said. Its clear and unambiguous and does not make any suggestion that you believe the coaches caused Clement to retire.
If others believe that I have unfairly maligned you I'm sure I'll be swiftly corrected.
I believe Clements left a big and unforeseen hole in the defense, you believe its the coaches lack of planning, and made no comment about Clement, either because you forgot or unlike myself thought it irrelevant.

I find your suggestion that I'm deliberately making up lies offensive, and respectfully suggest that resorting to this tactic as a means of intimidation is uncalled for and childish.
I have been here long enough for others to judge my integrity, in the various debates and posts I have been involved in, and were your protestations legitimate, I would have been exposed long ago.

Last edited by ThePieMind on Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:12 pm

You are struggling Piemind.
Big time.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:27 pm
Post subject: Re: Well done TooveyReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
Although a bit wobbly early on I thought Toovey's last quarter was terrific and a main reason why we won the game. Well done mate.

I've watched the game live & now without the racing pulse, shortness of breath, & anxiety of the last quarter I've been able to watch it on the computer.

Goodcall Rudeboy. I share your sentiments on this one. Tooves was one of the reasons we won & did very well. His disposal in the last few weeks has not been as it was earlier in the season this year. However, he wasn't Robinson Crusaoe yesterday - both Collingwood & Footscray had poor disposal efficiency for too much of the game I thought.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:46 am

RudeBoy wrote:
For all the criticisms of his kicking, I ask his knockers to watch the last quarter again. Make no mistake, his courage and fierce attack on the ball and his opponent was a crucial factor in us winning the game. Tooves is without doubt a seriously underrated player. Well done mate.

If anyone wants to talk about poor kicking,check out Sharrod Wellingham in this game.This is THE epitome of poor disposal.His first kick of the game went DIRECTLY to the oposition and they kicked thier first goal from it.Have a look if you are one of the non believers. Then ,amongst several less important turnovers,he missed 2 of the MOST simple set shots from inside 20 meters imaginable.One didn't even register a score from 20 meters out!!! Embarassed YES he kicked 2 goals..YES he gave THAT inside handball,Which could have gone anywhere and YES he has a go,but to lump Toovey with the poor kick tag is piss weak.The kid is all heart and he saved us plenty on the weekend and it's high time people looked at what he DOES rather than think about what might happen "ONE DAY"??
1eyedpie Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:50 am

mudlark wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

If anyone wants to talk about poor kicking,check out Sharrod Wellingham in this game.This is THE epitome of poor disposal.His first kick of the game went DIRECTLY to the oposition and they kicked thier first goal from it.Have a look if you are one of the non believers. Then ,amongst several less important turnovers,he missed 2 of the MOST simple set shots from inside 20 meters imaginable.One didn't even register a score from 20 meters out!!! Embarassed YES he kicked 2 goals..YES he gave THAT inside handball,Which could have gone anywhere and YES he has a go,but to lump Toovey with the poor kick tag is piss weak.The kid is all heart and he saved us plenty on the weekend and it's high time people looked at what he DOES rather than think about what might happen "ONE DAY"??

Further more to the Wellinham clangers he was the sole reason the Dogs got a spate of frees from the centre bounce clearances which gave them numerous forward thrusts which resulted in goals. Pull your head in Shazza!

On toovey he might fluff a kick or two here and there but I would still pick him in our starting 18. Well done son!

BARRACK HARD!
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:07 am

Some players just cop the brunt of seeing negatives, when the positives are more than prolific. Tooves will be a 100+ player.

He has pace reads the ball well. He gets in and under and puts his body on the line in defence.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
nulla 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:22 am

I think the surface had something to do with the clangers especailly early in the game... even Pendles kicked into the man on the mark in a freekick/mark situation.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Tannin wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
DaVe86 wrote:
Dave...is Blight able to totally shut a player out of a game??? Not everyone can be about attack.

Not Yet and That something he would work on but He won't turn it over as much as Toovey does and against Zoning Sides Blight would really be an Asset with taking the game on and long kicking to break the Zone

DTM, you are mad. Our defence is bloody drowning in attacking run-it-out defenders who can be very scary for the opposition on the rebound, and even scarier for us when they have te damn ball:

• Nick Maxwell
  • Heath Shaw
  • Ben Reid
  • Harry
  • Ben Johnson

That leaves two - count 'em two genuine defenders in the classic mould (Presti and Tooves) and no less than FIVE loose-checking, exploitable run-it-out merchants.

No wonder some sides give us a thrashing! We need more genuine defenders like Toovey, not more brilliant but sloppy risk-taking players like Heater and Maxwell who get too many goals kicked on them.

Exactly, it's all about balance. Tooves offers more upside than down.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:24 pm

nomadjack wrote:
Wouldn't matter what Toovey did, the same knockers would still have a crack at him. Nearly half of his possessions (46%) are contested possessions which is well above the team average of 36%. Gee, isn't it surprising that someone who does more of their work under pressure turns it over more often. Rolling Eyes

Toovey is ranked second for tackles for us and fifth for 1%ers. His disposal efficiency (66.9%) is on a par with Wellingham and well above that of Ball, Davis, and DAWES DTM Shocked

To quote that wonderful Sage from the HS Mark Robinson:

"Their teammate, Alan Toovey, beat Brennan Stack senseless, and also held Mitch Hahn and Daniel Giansiracusa in turn, which is a fair night's work.

He will get a fair pat on the back from the coach, too, not just because he beat his opponents, but for how he went about it. He looks awkward, but has a big heart."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/davis-and-carringbush-back-from-hell/story-e6frf9jf-1225876231462

Exactly!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:25 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
While everyone here acknowledges Toovey's limitations, it's instructive that almost no one questions his place in the side anymore. He's come a long way from being Nick's whipping boy a year or two ago.

The thing is, Toovey also knows his limitations, and plays as much as he can within those limitations. Nick Maxwell did much the same for years, building his confidence to the point where eventually he was able to add an attacking dimension to his game.

I think Alan Toovey is officially the most underrated player on our list. He's played just over 50 games. I will stick my neck out and predict he'll play another 100.

I'm on board, but then again I have been from the start (much to Lazza's dismay)
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 pm

nulla wrote:
I think the surface had something to do with the clangers especailly early in the game... even Pendles kicked into the man on the mark in a freekick/mark situation.

Pendlebury kicking into the man on the mark, and Wellingham missing those 2 set shots go down as some of the worst exhibitions of skill I have ever seen.

Yet, Toovey's sloppy kick in the last when every single player was exhausted is what is getting air time on Nicks. Pendlebury got voted best on ground!

You have to excuse a few mistakes in a high pressure game like that. Toovey made no more errors than any other player...including the highly skilled player like Pendles and Thomas.

BUNG Capricorn

pies forever

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:10 pm

he isnt named, " turnover toovey " for nothing people, for mine, golsack is twice the player as toovey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: