Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Joel Duckwood may miss Pies Clash

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ And Duckwood would earn it as well.
Pants 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:40 pm

Millane would have just run thru him like a tank and Duckwood would be assesing whether he made the right career choice after he woke up
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:45 pm

How old are you?
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Mossi wrote:
Retaliation is deemed irrelevant. Both hits are seen as intentional. Selwood's was seen as being below a reportable level of impact (Raines suffered no ill effects). Selwood fell to the ground and was in the hands of trainers after the Raines hit. On impact, it would be difficult to argue that Selwood's hit was more severe than Raines's.

Selwood has been watching too many soccer games and has taken out some Academy award scenes to apply to his game. Knowing fully well that he was going to be looked into for his provocation in hitting Raines, he duly acted out Raines retaliation. I have seen Selwood get back on his feet after worse hits in packs and not call for assistance. I'm glad he won't miss our game we need to play a full strength Cat side to know where we're at.[/quote]

watched Mick on game day. was surprised more of it was not made when Mick was asked about the incident. Mick had said basically there was nothing in either strike, however some players go down easy and make something minor look worse than it is for the other player. He implied Duckwood should have stood up as Rains did.
Richo said rains should be embarrassed for the open hand slap.

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:52 pm

The MRP have just basically said if two players hit each other and one has a stronger chin than the other, then the player that makes the least fuss about the punch will be the one getting suspended.

Shocking decision and Selwood should be embarrassed by his performance. At least he knows he has a career in acting after football.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 pm

Pants wrote:
think positive wrote:
Steve wrote:
think positive wrote:
1eyedpie wrote:
Duckwood gets off while Raines gets two.

Fkn chooklotto boys are at it again. FMD get rid of these clowns!!!

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/134420/default.aspx

OMG

how is that possible? Brisbane should put in a protest

that is just beyond a joke.

Selwood should be booed every time ho goes near the ball
can't believe people haven't been taking duck calling whistles to games.

where do i get 1??

Any Gunshop, i will be bringing my duck whistle in a few weeks time when we play those pussies, funny thing is,at half time in the 2010 GF replay outside the ground,Duckwood was next to us , one of the boy`s goes, there`s Duckwood ! in unison we all started going quack quack quack, he went as red as a beetroot, it was an absolute pisser.

haha!
love it! Laughing

WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:53 pm

Count DUCKULA

DAICOS MAGIC 35
VINTAGE DARREN MILLANE 42
Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:55 pm

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 pm

OEP wrote:
The MRP have just basically said if two players hit each other and one has a stronger chin than the other, then the player that makes the least fuss about the punch will be the one getting suspended.

This has always been the case. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it makes some sense.

To be fair, the same offense should receive the same penalty. However *hypothetical situation* => if one case leaves an opposition player with a broken jaw and another, hitting with what looks like similar force, does no damage whatsoever it seems somewhat sensible that the player who does the greater damage receives a greater penalty. For me, this comes down mostly to luck, and I feel the AFL focuses too much on outcome and not on action, but it does make some sense.

Getting back to this case: the MRP goes on the footage, medical reports, and (I think, in some cases) interviews of those involved. They took into consideration that Selwood took no further part in the game (dubious here as the game was over), and the medical evidence they were presented with, in addition to the footage. Raines was obviously not greatly affected by Selwood's hit. The evidence showed that Selwood was affected by the Raines hit. I don't think the MRP could have graded the two incidents the same based on the evidence.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:27 pm

The sound of Duck Callers echoing throughout the MCG when Duckwood takes a dive. I'd like to experience that. Anybody know when I can pick up a Duck Caller?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Northern Pie wrote:
Pity he didn't play in the days of Dennis Banks. Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3yCiG8YcpU

....and Banksy got only 3 weeks....God I miss that hard footy!

I was never a fan of hitting a bloke from behind when he wasn't looking and couldn't defend himself, that's the kind of stuff the video ref was bought in to stop.

But Rys Jones earned it and I enjoyed it. Twisted Evil

Yep, saw it live at MCG in 1986. Very little attempt to disguise it. Shocked It was a square-up for an earlier snipe, not surprisingly, retaliator gets nabbed again. Banks admitted that years later.

Dyso
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:14 pm

What a joke of a decision but of course it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

What's most concerning about this decision isn't the fact he's been punished for the incident, but he will continue to milk for free kicks and suck up to the umpires which is annoying opposition sides. Raines shouldn't have retaliated but you can't blame the guy for punching him even if Selwood milked it for all it's worth.

Selwood's a good player no doubt, but he will always be remembered for other things he did on the field.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:28 pm

Pity he didn't hit him hard enough to justify the three weeks! Gutless coward, Selwood, you bloody cheat.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:41 pm

BUT of COURSE he got off, his name is DUCKWOOD and he plays for the Pussies, what else did we expect, really. ????? One day this prick will get fairdinkum hit for cheating, and he will have a face like a bruised turd for a few weeks. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
arb 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:41 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Lone Ranger wrote:
But arguably retaliation is reckless whereas selwood was intentional.
Regardless, the mrp routinely adjust intent, severity to get the outcome they want. To come up with a result where selwood gets nothing and Raines gets 3 weeks is disgraceful

Retaliation is deemed irrelevant. Both hits are seen as intentional. Selwood's was seen as being below a reportable level of impact (Raines suffered no ill effects). Selwood fell to the ground and was in the hands of trainers after the Raines hit. On impact, it would be difficult to argue that Selwood's hit was more severe than Raines's.

There should be no concept of a hit (whether it is a punch or a slap) being deemed "below a reportable level of impact". He intended to hit the other bloke - that should be 1 week (minimum). The force of the hit can add weeks, but a deliberate hit should be reportable.

Heck, I recall one of ours (Brodie maybe?) being suspended for a couple of weeks for missing another player - he swung and missed and was rubbed out for attempting to strike. Now if you can be rubbed out for an attempt to strike, then surely you must go for actually making contact?!

The MRP is like the rest of the AFL administration - a bloody joke!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7   

Jump to: