Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Crows - All comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

ThePieMind wrote:
I see the midfield battle as the key again this week

Douglas dominated for them this week, and given the job Taylor did on Beams (who is a better player), I think he can also do a shutdown job on Douglas. Physically TA is both bigger and taller.

I think Danger is a brute and will be matched by a taller and bigger brute in Crisp who can also run all day.

That leaves Pendles and Swan for Sloane who most people would argue is there only other A grade mid.

As for the Ruck, they play just one Ruck in Jacobs and pinch hit with Jenkins.
Similar to us with Grundy and White (who is about the same size as Jenkins) - so unless Grundy is fatigued I would not bring in another tall.

Contested possession will be where this is won or lost, as it will be the only way to stop supply to Walker.

So I say beef up the options around the stoppage, and if fit I would give Freeman a crack, who has size, speed and endurance.
If not fit then I would bring in BK, but have concerns about his engine but he can play as a crumbing FWD, which would then allow Elliot to run through the middle.
Broomy would have been my choice for inclusion but unlike BK he is not proven at stoppages.

Fantastic analysis, and taught me alot.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:15 pm

Mossi wrote:
^ the only way to keep big Tex out of it is pressure on the ball carrier and since Adelaide have a tendency to go straight down the ground using the speed and power of their midfield we have to be competitive there. I have a feeling the closing speed and physicality of Frosty won't let us down. North were still bathing in the Bahamas on Sunday.

Bingo. We need to apply the pressure to the contest that we applied against the Bears for the first 3 quarters. Deny them clean ball and time and space.

Walker is a damn good player but he's not actually that tall, both Frost and Brown are taller. If he's getting away from them on the lead, I'd put Toovey on him who's towelled up Jack Darling before.

Lock down the game with pressure and deny Walker from being able to get and distribute the ball and we make them scrounge for goals. Betts will get his 2-3 but otherwise we can beat them.

With their two talls we do need support for Grundy though I think. He needs to be able to have a spell on the bench but if White is his only relief that leaves Cloke as the only tall forward. I'm tempted to bring in my boy Corey purely for the flexibility he offers, He can play forward and ruck and has played Key Back in the VFL so could be a handy option against jerkoff Jenkins.

The Roos just got caught on the hop (pun intended). We won't be,

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:17 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
ThePieMind wrote:

Douglas dominated for them this week, and given the job Taylor did on Beams (who is a better player), I think he can also do a shutdown job on Douglas. Physically TA is both bigger and taller.

I think Danger is a brute and will be matched by a taller and bigger brute in Crisp who can also run all day.

That leaves Pendles and Swan for Sloane who most people would argue is there only other A grade mid.

Similar to us with Grundy and White (who is about the same size as Jenkins) - so unless Grundy is fatigued I would not bring in another tall.

Contested possession will be where this is won or lost, as it will be the only way to stop supply to Walker.

So I say beef up the options around the stoppage, and if fit I would give Freeman a crack, who has size, speed and endurance.
If not fit then I would bring in BK, but have concerns about his engine but he can play as a crumbing FWD, which would then allow Elliot to run through the middle.
Broomy would have been my choice for inclusion but unlike BK he is not proven at stoppages.

I'll second that.

So piemind can we win it?

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:52 pm

While Tex is an obvious danger we would be wise to pay a lot of respect to Jenkins.

He kicked 4 goals against us in Adelaide last year (didn't play the return game) and finished the season with one more goal than Cloke.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 pm

So Swoop, are you in favour of playing the extra tall to counterbalance Jenkins?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:55 pm

With Brown and Frost as our designated tall defenders, I don't think there's a need to bring another tall in, considering both Toovey and Langdon can also play tall.

The big question is should we consider another tall up forward, to provide greater assistance for Grundy in the ruck? I think not at this stage. I'd rather stack our team full of hard runners. So I'd be considering Broomhead, Seedsman, Kennedy, Dwyer and Freeman as possible inclusions, replacing Sidey and possibly Ramsay or Oxley. This week we will find out just how deep our midfield stocks are.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 pm

we have quite a few who can roll through the midfield. pk might get a call up to give us an extra mobile forward which then leaves elliott, crisp, williams and others to support adams, pendles and swan.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 pm

simon tonna wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
ThePieMind wrote:

Similar to us with Grundy and White (who is about the same size as Jenkin- so unless Grundy is fatigued I would not bring in another tall.

I'll second that.

So piemind can we win it?

I think we are a far far better chance than most of the experts believe.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:16 pm

We will win if we apply frenetic physical pressure throughout the game. Their midfield contains a few front runners. We need to unsettle them early and they'll spill and fumble. Cloke needs to kick fu*king straight!
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:20 pm

The Crows play "fast footy".
This is our archilles heal.
Get a plan to beat this and will be competitive
this year.
One on one we can handle but this fast footy is the winning style of 2015.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:29 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
So Swoop, are you in favour of playing the extra tall to counterbalance Jenkins?

Well if we did select Gault he could give us coverage for our defence if required as he's played there at VFL level but he appears more suited up forward and plays his best footy there.

I thought last week we could have exposed Brisbane further at times with an extra tall marking option up forward.

Players like Toovey, Langdon and Oxley wouldn't have the physical strength to go with Walker or Jenkins IMHO so we will very much be hoping that Brown and Frost can nullify there influence.

It's a difficult one as it's plainly obvious with Sidebottom now missing along with Greenwood we need to inject more midfield options and in reality to replace Sidey we might need to go with a two for one deal because he will be a big loss.

If we don't look to bring in Gault then perhaps Karnezis might be of use as both a player who can go through the midfield as well as being of a handy height above 190cm.

In essence Goldsack and Karnezis would be that mobile 3rd tall forward option.

Honestly for the first time in a long while I don't have any strong opinions on this weeks selection as there is just to many possibilities and in each one a case could be made why it's the right one.

I'm thinking Sidey and one of our back flankers out for Karnezis and a midfielder.

De Goey another who could be unlucky to make way if we don't feel he's capable yet of playing 75% game time.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 pm

fasolo is the bizzaro version of Blair. PK is the same for Goldsack. Based on what I saw last year I just can't see us playing Fas and PK in the same forward line.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:23 pm

And if all that isnt enough, they have two of the best running defenders in the competition. Brodie smith was all australian last year and Jaench has not missed a target since he debuted. These are the games where goldsack as a defensive forward comes into his own. Blair is way shorter than both ( in fact he is shorter than everyone ) but he can lead one away from the contest when we are in possesion. As always, first use in midfield is king but stopping their quality half backs is almost as important.
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:25 pm

GO FLAGPIES WOO

I'm sure we'll beat the Crowbots.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:27 pm

Where is that?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 5 of 11   

Jump to: