Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lost at selection?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Number 35 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as i found out it wasnt raining, I'd have played Stephenson on the Wing, dropped Phillips, and played Moore.

I understand though that this was a very hard call for Bucks

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Well, I’m very interested in analysing why we lost but I don’t think it was the backline. They held up well against a forward line that had a third more inside 50s than ours did. Kennedy and Darling kicked 4 between them. They are good footballers (although Darling remains a pea heart) and will do damage if they get enough chances. Their midfield won the game - they kicked about half West Coadt’s goals, whereas Adams was our only midfielder to hit the scoreboard.

Yep. Wasn't lost at selection. Backline stood tall and with the amount of dangerous ball that came in time after time, I'm amazed they held them to 11 goals. We just couldn't manage to create crucial stoppages. The ball kept getting loose and out the back. The midfield lost it and we were much too slow to change things around. In fact, even after a 5 goal start I would've moved things around so at least we were remaining proactive and unpredictable. We let them dictate and they simply shut the game down knowing they would lose and open shoot out. Make no mistake, Collingwood played well but I felt the fear of losing made them play safe after quarter time.
lanstro 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:03 pm

I agree that the backline played extremely well yesterday and performed much better than our midfield and forward lines, but picking Moore/Reid over a small might still have gotten us over the line. They're both utilities that play on both ends of the ground and can take a decent down-the-line mark on the wing. Would've been handy to have against Vardy when he drifted forwards, or up against Gov to make him a bit more accountable, or to help relieve the defence by marking on the wing. Would have loved to have seen how the game would have turned out with one of them in the side.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:37 pm

I was concerned all week about this , Goldy did very well , it would have being great to have " Chop" in the squad, i wish someone had run through mcgovern or that poncey shit Jetta.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:21 am

Sheed’s and Shuey’s career statistics make for distressing reading. I do not understand how these 2 average footballers could both play the best game of their careers in a Grand Final. I really think that is of more concern than anything that happened in attack or defence. We had our first choice midfield, apparently in good form. They had lost Priddis and Mitchell from last year’s midfield and their best current mid was suspended.

It defies belief that we would lose the game there.
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:40 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Sheed’s and Shuey’s career statistics make for distressing reading. I do not understand how these 2 average footballers could both play the best game of their careers in a Grand Final. I really think that is of more concern than anything that happened in attack or defence. We had our first choice midfield, apparently in good form. They had lost Priddis and Mitchell from last year’s midfield and their best current mid was suspended.

It defies belief that we would lose the game there.

But you are right. It was in the mids that we should have expected to better them. Their top ruck was out (Natanui, their top mid was out Gaff), but they got us. Even in the last quarter we clearly win the first two centre clearances and bang we have two quick goals. But they come again and we lose clearances after that. Even that last goal - Sheed ends up unmanned inside 50 with Maynard on Rioli desperately waving for help when Ryan marked. Sheed rolled the dice ran deep forward and made a 2 on 1 contest and wasn’t tracked. I’m not worried about any free against Rioli, I couldn’t believe at the 27 minute mark of a last quarter a midfielder could drop deep forward and have no one pick him up. As Rioli kicked it forward Sheed was already down there ready in a 2 on 1 with Maynard. How on earth could that happen at such a time ?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 am

We won our previous two finals against good opposition with the same personnel.
Moore virtually had no impact all season to our fortunes.
We lost a grand final by 5 points. How anyone can suggest Moore or Reid would be a better option than what got us there in the first place, is beyond reasoning ....... but not beyond hindsight.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 am

Pies2016 wrote:
We won three finals against good opposition with the same personnel.
Moore virtually had no impact all season to our fortunes.
We lost a grand final by 5 points. How anyone can suggest Moore or Reid would be a better option than what got us there in the first place, is beyond reasoning ....... but not beyond hindsight.

A fit and in-form Moore or Reid would clearly have won us a Premiership, but the fact is they neither had the necessary form or the physical/mental conditioning to be relied upon to make an impact and get through the Grannie.
K 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:00 am

But there were people (and not just McGuane) calling for the inclusion of one of them (presumably it would have been Reid, who was deemed ready weeks ago) beforehand.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:32 am

If we selected either we prob would have lost by 5 goals.
ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:18 am

The only things that could've got us over the line on the weekend:

1. Rain
&
2. Dunn

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:47 am

ANNODAM wrote:
The only things that could've got us over the line on the weekend:

1. Rain
&
2. Dunn

Sounds like a country & western group Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5   

Jump to: