Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#22 Steele Sidebottom

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Lazza wrote:
IMO he has let the club down. This affects trust issues and a lack of loyalty to the club that has stood by and supported him. I have slept on it and woken up to the same decision. Trade him out for an equally talented player and cut our losses.

So let's recap the extent of Sidebottom's betrayal:

1) Went over to a mate's place one time in the midst of a pandemic (not social distancing!!!!) and had too much to drink.
2) Had the temerity to attend the birth of his child.

Still one of our best players and a key onfield leader. But yeah, **** him off. Clearly, we need to be setting an example by crucifying anyone who makes one bad decision (that didn't actually hurt anybody and that he was already harshly punished for). Also, getting rid of him altogether will show him for not being there when we need him.

1B - knew damn well he should not be a)out late B) drunk c) in the street half naked, which caused the most important thing here HE MISSED 4 IMPORTANT GAMES

2B and no one has begrudged him that i can see, but getting him back to QLD able to play should have been put in place even taking into account a late birth. He gets paid very bloody well, especially right now, hes a top 10 player, and we NEED him, we were there when he NEEDED us he barely copped a whack, maybe thats the problem.

footy is surely about winning premierships?

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:53 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
Start of the season when we were absolutely flying. Fit, looking sharp, no injuries. This was our year. Go back to game day threads from the first few games, the positivity was endless here and in media. The hub �$%$ed us. That month of 4 and 5 day breaks against opposition who didn’t travel and had twice as long breaks �$%$ed us. Howe’s knee �$%$ed us. JDG’s criminal charges and injury �$%$ed us. Sidey’s transgression �$%$ed us. It all fell apart when we had to go into the hubs. Other teams coped better, we didn’t for various reasons. Honestly, if there had been no Covid this year and it was normal, we’d be locking in a GF. It’s been a shit year and frankly I think it’s a miracle we’re playing finals.

This was our best chance to win a GF, without a crowd or with a small crowd interstate. If we don't, it's just another cheap, cheap, cheap flag gone begging.

The decision by club/Steele also makes me think they secretly don't think they can make the GF. I wonder if the same decision would be made if we were raging favourites for the flag.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:56 pm

think positive wrote:
footy is surely about winning premierships?

It helps if a club is professional. Sadly, ours is not.
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:58 pm

At the end of the day the problem was that Steele and his wife didn't follow the golden rule. If you are an AFL player you cannot have unprotected relations during the December/January period for fear of a September baby. During these dangerous months if it's not on it's not on.

MONCO: Your life.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:09 pm

K wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:
Start of the season when we were absolutely flying. Fit, looking sharp, no injuries. This was our year. Go back to game day threads from the first few games, the positivity was endless here and in media. The hub �$%$ed us. That month of 4 and 5 day breaks against opposition who didn’t travel and had twice as long breaks �$%$ed us. Howe’s knee �$%$ed us. JDG’s criminal charges and injury �$%$ed us. Sidey’s transgression �$%$ed us. It all fell apart when we had to go into the hubs. Other teams coped better, we didn’t for various reasons. Honestly, if there had been no Covid this year and it was normal, we’d be locking in a GF. It’s been a shit year and frankly I think it’s a miracle we’re playing finals.

This was our best chance to win a GF, without a crowd or with a small crowd interstate. If we don't, it's just another cheap, cheap, cheap flag gone begging.

The decision by club/Steele also makes me think they secretly don't think they can make the GF. I wonder if the same decision would be made if we were raging favourites for the flag.

for sure, i mean they basically said it, he could only play the 2nd week as he has left it too late, so clearly, he thinks we have no chance, thanks for that mr team mate, what a message that sends!

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:09 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
At the end of the day the problem was that Steele and his wife didn't follow the golden rule. If you are an AFL player you cannot have unprotected relations during the December/January period for fear of a September baby. During these dangerous months if it's not on it's not on.

Yes, the club should have ordered the players to follow that.

Matthews did at Brisbane.

Last edited by K on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
you may be joking, but it certainly would not hurt, babies have been planned around lesser things, and also, whos baby was induced early a few years ago?

as an aside, my kids were 5 days and 9 days late, id take this as a good excuse to be induced early and get it over with!!

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:12 pm

TP, when Leigh M. ordered it, Leppitsch initially thought he was joking, but of course he wasn't.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:19 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
It's not ideal that he will be missing our finals campaign, but losing Sidey is not as bad as say losing Pendles or DeGoey or Moore or Grundy etc. He isn't a critical cog in this team, he is more cream than cake these days. We know how he goes in big finals against the big teams, not too well, they tag him out and he cannot shake it. We can cover him now and it won't be the reason why we lose a final. Now go and smack those Collingwood wannabes.

Agree with this, and also agree with the other comment that it gives someone else the chance to replace him and not play the role of tagged out and unsighted mid.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:31 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
It’s the team collective that dictates the result of a game, not an individual.

This is what Buckley claimed until his last press conference, when he admitted he'd been talking bollocks. Exclamation

He did too, which is bizarre in itself because it flys in face of every team first principle in sport. I would be fairly confident he’s not relaying the same message behind closed doors.
I can’t imagine him saying at the pre match meeting to not bother putting in today because Jordy is still 4 weeks away.

I think there are two factors at play here. The team first orientation is correct, and the vast majority of games will be won on the basis of team solidarity system and coordination. But there is also the dynamic factor, the individual spark which can in a few situations as the critical link, either through inspirational acts to change the psychology of the entire team, or through repeated individual brilliance leading to goals. You need both to win a flag: the team cohesion and systems, and the dynamic factor. I think it is clear from the game against GC that JDG is one such player who can be the dynamic factor. I don't think Sidey nowadays is such a player. He is a great player, but not the critical link, dynamic factor. I am not stressed out by Sidey's absence from our finals campaign. It gives another player the chance to play a slightly different role that we have never tested out in finals before. The old plan against us of "tagging Sidey" will no longer be available to our opponents.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:36 pm

^ It just frees up their tagger to take down someone else, like Pendlebury.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:38 pm

K wrote:
If that's the case, then they should have tagged Pendles in the first place.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:41 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
K wrote:

If that's the case, then they should have tagged Pendles in the first place.

Well, the clubs reckon (rightly or wrongly) that you can only put one tag on, so then they need to choose who gets it.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:22 pm

Ryan's article on GAJ:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ablett-s-last-chance-20200918-p55wug.html
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:42 pm

I think the decent thing for Sidey to do is get a Vasectomy for the remainder of his career, it can (hopefully) be reversed after he retires, and would demonstrate to his team mates that his sole priority is this club getting its next flag.... and I'd also like to think some of his team mates will follow his example.

At the end of the day these players are on top dollar, and if they can't show commitment to cause by snipping the balls, well what hope do we have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 45 of 77   

Jump to: