Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

David Hookes - Assualt or Manslaughter?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:41 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:

IMHO Political Correctness is hugely responsible for thugs like this prick, murderers, rapists, drug dealers etc getting dragged into court by police who work their arses off 24/7, only to have these parasites walk away holding their lawyers hand after they've been smacked on the wrist.

London Dave wrote:
This guy's been slapped on the wrist? First you complain he only get's charged with assault, then after the charge is altered to manslaughter (as I predicted) you have already seen far enough into the future to know that he will either beat the rap, or if convicted, walk off with effectivley a slap on the wrist. (Which judging by the tone of your previous posts, would be anything less than the death penalty!) There were thugs, murderers, rapists etc before political correctness, and there'll be them during and after it.

Dave... perhaps my generalisation above, which i stand by, was a little vague to you. I cannot YET group him with the elite vermin of our society (listed above) as he won't face trial until April i believe. And where have i complained about the charges laid against him? I know full well that manslaughter is the appropriate CHARGE, but IMHO he WON'T be punished to the full extent of the law, because the current laws don't seem to me to be enforced by those in authority ie. magistrates etc.
piedys wrote:

Not perfect but better than 7 years ago you say? From what i hear from the elder statesmen of our society, the streets were safer 40-50 years ago when people could feel safe in public. And perhaps back then a punch-up in a pub was sorted out by everybody shaking hands and buying each other a beer afterwards!

London Dave wrote:
From what I hear from elders...the plural of anecdote is DATA! Elders tell me it was more dangerous 50 years ago, now, who is correct? You can't claim the moral high ground or win an argument with "the good old days" routine. I don't buy it.

DATA hey? I'll have to consult Mr.Webster when i'm in a better frame of mind to vaildate that. Whaddya mean you don'y buy the "good old days" routine. The cuurent day and age couldn't get any more violent right now could it?
piedys wrote:
It's our laws which frustrate us so.

London Dave wrote:
Wrong!! Frustrate YOU so.

BA-BOWWW!! Frustrate "us" meaning myself and the other anti-politically correct minority posting heatedly in this thread. Don't believe me? Can i prompt you to read this thread from the start again, then disagree?
piedys wrote:

If i posted a poll on VPT asking whether or not capital punishment should be re-introduced into Australia, we all know the answer would be YES in a landslide in the current climate.

London Dave wrote:
perhaps yes...and if you did it a week ago, the answer would have perhaps been NO...and if you did in in a year, it'd probably be NO again. Proving what...people vote with their emotions?

Point taken, but isn't there ALWAYS a catalist such as this prompting these things to change in momentum and snowball in one direction?
piedys wrote:
some people are just violent by nature and are WAY beyond redemption.
They are the ones who need to be sent back to the Almighty with "REJECTED" stamped on their forehead in red-ink.

London Dave wrote:
So I gather you support the death penalty...good for you. Now, explain how this would have prevented last Sunday's incident?, or the future occurence of something similar?

Ah Dave, the death penalty is a CURE, not a PREVENTION. It should be there merely as a warning to others, whether it is enforced or not, i'd leave to the legally minded.

And Dave, this very valid observation from you the other night which i should have mentioned earlier...
London Dave wrote:
As for losing his crowd controllers licence, he couldn't, as the Private Agents Act 1966 states that a crowd controller's licence can be suspended or cancelled if the holder has been convicted of an offence.

Now we're getting somewhere... this is the loophole that has had such unfortunate consequences! Now if the PAA/1966 could be amended so that a CCE's licence can be suspended or cancelled if the holder has been charged with an offence, therefore perhaps terminating his employment in the first place.... then perhaps we'd all be reading another thread right now and Hookesy's voice could still be heard on radio 3AW.
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:16 am

piedys wrote:
[Dave... perhaps my generalisation above, which i stand by, was a little vague to you. I cannot YET group him with the elite vermin of our society (listed above) as he won't face trial until April i believe. And where have i complained about the charges laid against him? I know full well that manslaughter is the appropriate CHARGE, but IMHO he WON'T be punished to the full extent of the law, because the current laws don't seem to me to be enforced by those in authority ie. magistrates etc.

He may well be not punished to the full extent of the law, by which I take it you mean the maximum penalty available to the judge. Then again, I'd prefer to let the court decide it on the evidence presented in front of it. I'd be fairly confident that if found guilty, he will get pretty close to, if not the, maximum penalty. I think its public knowledge he will plead not guilty, so he's not trying to plea bargain his way out of it, he's letting it all ride. I apologise if I wrongly accuse you of complaining about the charges laid, must have been someone else of the 'anti-PC' minority'!!!

piedys wrote:

DATA hey? I'll have to consult Mr.Webster when i'm in a better frame of mind to vaildate that. Whaddya mean you don'y buy the "good old days" routine. The cuurent day and age couldn't get any more violent right now could it?

It may or it may not, my point being that your anecdotal evidence does not make your case.

piedys wrote:
BA-BOWWW!! Frustrate "us" meaning myself and the other anti-politically correct minority posting heatedly in this thread. Don't believe me? Can i prompt you to read this thread from the start again, then disagree?

Now we are getting somewhere...don't try to make yourself into this impartial 'voice of the people' by proclaiming yourself as 'anti PC'. That's the second weakest trick in the book. All I'm pointing out is you speak for yourself, and no one else. Trying to boost your arguments and gain a bit of sympathy by claiming you speak for the 'silent majority', and adding in a populist grab by being 'anti PC' may gain you credibility with some, but it cuts no ice with me. As for the weakest trick in the book, that's the 'un-Australian' call. We've already seen that in this thread.
What exactly is being 'anti-PC? Is it simply someone who has a different opinion than you. Believe me, my acquaintences would describe me as extremely 'anti-PC'. How is it you speak for me, yet are of a contrasting opinion?

piedys wrote:

Point taken, but isn't there ALWAYS a catalist such as this prompting these things to change in momentum and snowball in one direction?

Exactly. I think I've made the point a few times, if you have a problem with the laws, call your MP.

piedys wrote:
Ah Dave, the death penalty is a CURE, not a PREVENTION. It should be there merely as a warning to others, whether it is enforced or not, i'd leave to the legally minded.

A cure for what, bloodlust? A CURE, in a case like this, is impossible. A man is dead. No cure for that. It's a pointless exercise. Let em rot in the nick for life. Plenty of people have been found guilty of heinous crimes, only to be found innocent later on (Lindy Chamberlain ring a bell? I was in NT then, she had no hope, public opinion had her GUILTY...would have looked pretty good if she'd got a posthumous pardon a few years later, eh?)

piedys wrote:
Now we're getting somewhere... this is the loophole that has had such unfortunate consequences! Now if the PAA/1966 could be amended so that a CCE's licence can be suspended or cancelled if the holder has been charged with an offence, therefore perhaps terminating his employment in the first place.... then perhaps we'd all be reading another thread right now and Hookesy's voice could still be heard on radio 3AW.

I wouldnt call the presumption of innocence a 'loophole'. It's a central tenet of the law. If the dickhead didn't follow hookes 70m out from the pub, the incident wouldn't have taken place, and we wouldnt be chewing the fat over it. It ain't the laws fault Hookes died. If it was, we are all responsible.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:03 pm

London Dave wrote:

He may well be not punished to the full extent of the law, by which I take it you mean the maximum penalty available to the judge. Then again, I'd prefer to let the court decide it on the evidence presented in front of it. I'd be fairly confident that if found guilty, he will get pretty close to, if not the, maximum penalty. I think its public knowledge he will plead not guilty, so he's not trying to plea bargain his way out of it, he's letting it all ride. I apologise if I wrongly accuse you of complaining about the charges laid, must have been someone else of the 'anti-PC' minority'!!!

Dave, i guess well find out at the trials conclusion exactly what respect magistrates and the law have for us Joe Citizens and our safety.
London Dave wrote:
Now we are getting somewhere...don't try to make yourself into this impartial 'voice of the people' by proclaiming yourself as 'anti PC'. That's the second weakest trick in the book. All I'm pointing out is you speak for yourself, and no one else. Trying to boost your arguments and gain a bit of sympathy by claiming you speak for the 'silent majority', and adding in a populist grab by being 'anti PC' may gain you credibility with some, but it cuts no ice with me. As for the weakest trick in the book, that's the 'un-Australian' call. We've already seen that in this thread.

Well! I had no idea that i had become this impartial 'voice of the people'! I haven't considered myself a Vox-Pop! What i was attempting to do was illustrate a point by using my inerpretation of the opinions i had read in the posts prior to mine. As for me using the 1st & 2nd weakest tricks in the book, well it wasn't a bad guess considering i had no idea they even existed as argumentative cop-outs!. I'll bare that in mind next time!
London Dave wrote:
What exactly is being 'anti-PC? Is it simply someone who has a different opinion than you. Believe me, my acquaintences would describe me as extremely 'anti-PC'. How is it you speak for me, yet are of a contrasting opinion?

Fair enough call. I'll take that on board too.
London Dave wrote:
A cure for what, bloodlust? A CURE, in a case like this, is impossible. A man is dead. No cure for that. It's a pointless exercise. Let em rot in the nick for life. Plenty of people have been found guilty of heinous crimes, only to be found innocent later on (Lindy Chamberlain ring a bell? I was in NT then, she had no hope, public opinion had her GUILTY...would have looked pretty good if she'd got a posthumous pardon a few years later, eh?)

Dave, after analysing this whole DH scenario over and over as many of us have done, perhaps the death penalty is not warranted in this instance. Whilest i do obviously believe society needs its re-introduction, it would be better served on multi-murderers like Ivan Milat, a psychotic waste of space, whose guilt to these crimes is doubtless. I'd love to see more criminals "rot in the nick for life" particularly drug-barons, murderers and rapists. But again i do believe that the maximums penalties ARE NOT being enforced by the powers that be. With the benefit of DNA evidence at our disposal now and over the last 10 years or so, and an apparent accuracy/probability of over 99% i honestly can't see the innocent proven guilty. I'd hope you'd agree your example of the Lindy Chamberlain/dingo case whilest being valid, was ultimately the biggest farcical beat-up "witch-hunt" with only flimsy circumstancial evidence to support it, that this country has ever had the misfortune to witness. Am i right in saying that it actually took DNA evidence to clear her name?
London Dave wrote:
I wouldnt call the presumption of innocence a 'loophole'. It's a central tenet of the law. If the dickhead didn't follow hookes 70m out from the pub, the incident wouldn't have taken place, and we wouldnt be chewing the fat over it. It ain't the laws fault Hookes died. If it was, we are all responsible.

That loophole i referred to in the PAA/1966 is somewhat of an inconsistancy with other terms of employment. What would happen if a policeman was accused of assault? He'd be STOOD DOWN, either with or without pay until his case/trial was brought to a conclusion. Therefore he couldn't act as an officer of the law until the issue was resolved. Do you consider that a fair comparrison?

Dyso
Yobbo^LuKa Libra

=[(World Champion)]=

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:54 pm

Everyone has an opinion/ a story bout what the believe happened and its the same with anything like this that happens. Nobody will ever know the real story. Whether the Bouncer had intent to cause serious injury or was belting a rowdy pub goer. This most unfortunate incident is a stain on todays society right next all the others. The world is stuffed.
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:55 am

Yobbo^LuKa wrote:
Everyone has an opinion/ a story bout what the believe happened and its the same with anything like this that happens. Nobody will ever know the real story. Whether the Bouncer had intent to cause serious injury or was belting a rowdy pub goer. This most unfortunate incident is a stain on todays society right next all the others. The world is stuffed.

Since when is belting a rowdy pub goer legal ?? If a patron is rowdy then he kicks them out of the premises not literally though. He has no right to bash the person.

jlc

CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:57 pm

who gives a shit who hes with? holy matromony or wateva, its all bullshit these days anyway, no one cares!! affairs left right and center!! so what!!

(btw im not saying he had an affair, just talking in general)
Blanch Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 10:03 am

I agree that his personal situation has absolutely nothing to do with his case. However, holy matrimony these days is not bullshit. For some of us it holds great value and gives us great happiness.

The day we all believe it's bullshit is the day it's worth nothing....that will be a very sad day.

All WA Magpies join the Western Magpies now:
http://www.westernmagpies.com
(At least go and sign the guestbook).
CQ 

ambitious that

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2004 12:07 pm

wel maybe 4 u but the ppl i kno who care about it are a minority compared to those who dont!
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:33 pm

BUMPORAMA....

Can anybody give me an update about the charges laid against the accused?

Dyso

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:57 pm

Hearing date for Hookes charge
Heraldsun
11may04

THE bouncer charged over the death of former test cricketer David Hookes would face a 10-day preliminary hearing in November, a Melbourne court was told today.

starts on 15th of that month
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:46 pm

Good work Dave, bring it on..

Can i plug the chair in yet?

dyso

eddies bank balance 

evolving-unlimited-intellect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 9:25 am

Over the yrs I've known many bouncers, having said that, i hope they throw the book at him!
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 10:54 am

No doubt it should be a manslaughter charge. But everyone deserves a right to a fair trial think about yourself in a similar situation. Let a jury decide his fate. I wonder if it would be of such interest if this tragic incident happened to your average punter on the street!

www.facebook/the hybernators
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: