Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre match. Pies v. Saints - all comments please

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:34 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

jackcass wrote:
slydog81 wrote:
From what I saw in the magoos on the weekend I would have Adams ahead of JT atm.

Would love to see Broomhead get a run and Dwyer is also playing better than JT.

Thomas and Adams may have had similar games against the Cats but I still think Thomas was the more creative of the 2. And Thomas has been more consistent. Adams the previous game was reportedly going at below 50% DE by foot, and according to reports lost confidence in his kicking to the point where he was opting to handball. Surely consistency of effort counts for something when selectors make their decisions.

Agree on Broomhead and was at a loss as to why Dwyer was dropped in the first place.

All that said, can't see too many changes being made beyond Brown - Keeffe unless Frost doesn't get up. I'd retain both Witts and Grundy. Adams, Thomas, Kennedy, Broomhead, Seedsman, and Dwyer would all be under consideration. Young and Fasolo should be worried.

I suppose the theory is that Adams would replace Ball in the side. Ball's footskills are also very bad and I would say Adams has more penetration and footspeed than Ball. So although Adams is not the best user by foot, as a whole you get an improvement. I'm not saying I attest to this theory because I am still a huge Luke Ball fan, but I can see the merit.

I think Adams is the next best 'in and under' on the list that is at VFL level. I think JT is a gun clearances player, but he is not a 'bottom of the pack' player like Ball. Ball is the type that gets to ground level and dishes off a handball to an outside type like Swan. With Swan spending more time up forward, I actually see JT as his replacement in the middle...not Luke Ball's replacement.

It's hard to find room, but in my opinion we need to get more midfielders into the side. As I said, Swan is spending more time forward and Ball is not covering the ground very well. Sidebottom is starting on a wing and pushing back to be the +1. Macaffer is purely defensive. This is leaving all the burden on Pendlebury and Beams.

I'm not saying Ball is finished because if you watch last week's games, he did some amazing things in the second half and he clamped down on Priddis in the last. I just think we need to find more for more midfielders.

I agree that Fasolo and Young are the ones right on the fringe at the moment, which is a shame because they add qualities which other players on our list don't possess.

I think long term we will probably need to re-think Langdon's role if we already have Maxy, Williams and Toovey...and potentially Seedsman comes in to add some drive off half back.

I'm also not sure if you can have Fasolo, Elliott and Blair in the one side because neither are real midfield rotations. Port Adelaide do it well with Gray, Monfries and Wingard who all spend substantial time in the middle. This may be why we are seeing more of Elliott through the middle.

We might actually be looking at using Adams as a small forward or even Broomhead, and then they can rotate on the ball. Especially if we still want to use Goldsack up forward along with Cloke, White and Reid.

So many options. I'm so intrigued to see how Buckley goes about it. I do think though that the side is a bit flat at the moment and it would get a spark from the likes of Adams, JT, Kennedy, Seedsman or Martin coming into the team.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:18 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
I suppose the theory is that Adams would replace Ball in the side. Ball's footskills are also very bad and I would say Adams has more penetration and footspeed than Ball. So although Adams is not the best user by foot, as a whole you get an improvement. I'm not saying I attest to this theory because I am still a huge Luke Ball fan, but I can see the merit.

I think Adams is the next best 'in and under' on the list that is at VFL level. I think JT is a gun clearances player, but he is not a 'bottom of the pack' player like Ball. Ball is the type that gets to ground level and dishes off a handball to an outside type like Swan. With Swan spending more time up forward, I actually see JT as his replacement in the middle...not Luke Ball's replacement.

It's hard to find room, but in my opinion we need to get more midfielders into the side. As I said, Swan is spending more time forward and Ball is not covering the ground very well. Sidebottom is starting on a wing and pushing back to be the +1. Macaffer is purely defensive. This is leaving all the burden on Pendlebury and Beams.

I'm not saying Ball is finished because if you watch last week's games, he did some amazing things in the second half and he clamped down on Priddis in the last. I just think we need to find more for more midfielders.

I agree that Fasolo and Young are the ones right on the fringe at the moment, which is a shame because they add qualities which other players on our list don't possess.

I think long term we will probably need to re-think Langdon's role if we already have Maxy, Williams and Toovey...and potentially Seedsman comes in to add some drive off half back.

I'm also not sure if you can have Fasolo, Elliott and Blair in the one side because neither are real midfield rotations. Port Adelaide do it well with Gray, Monfries and Wingard who all spend substantial time in the middle. This may be why we are seeing more of Elliott through the middle.

We might actually be looking at using Adams as a small forward or even Broomhead, and then they can rotate on the ball. Especially if we still want to use Goldsack up forward along with Cloke, White and Reid.

So many options. I'm so intrigued to see how Buckley goes about it. I do think though that the side is a bit flat at the moment and it would get a spark from the likes of Adams, JT, Kennedy, Seedsman or Martin coming into the team.

God I hate well reasoned arguements... leaves no wriggle room... you're going to have to stop doing that...

Agree on Young and Fasolo. Not saying they should be dropped but one of the benefits of having reserves who are performing is that there is capacity to address poor performance in the seniors and at some stage that needs to be demonstrated by the selectors. That's when you'll start to get guys giving their all because they'll know there are consequences.

Agree we're lacking a bit of x-factor. Love to see Broomhead, Seedsman and Karnezis getting games soon because I think they more than any of the other guys not in the senior side bring that.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:31 pm

Quote:

Yeah, Adams is more In and Under Type like Ball and while Thomas is more Like Beams

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, Adams is more In and Under Type like Ball and while Thomas is more Like Beams

Well argued Dave. It's not that one is better than the other, it's because they bring different attributes and at the moment the team needs more of what Adams brings over what Thomas brings.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:53 pm

jackcass wrote:
Agree we're lacking a bit of x-factor. Love to see Broomhead, Seedsman and Karnezis getting games soon because I think they more than any of the other guys not in the senior side bring that.

Not that I disagree with your comments Daz but don't you think that Adams brings an X factor?

Mind you I'm the one who suggested well before the season that Adams should spend at least half the season in the VFL getting used to the Collingwood game plan and playing style (and got howled down for having that opinion) but I still believe he brings an X factor to the team as well.
slydog81 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:57 pm

Where is Dwyers role on the team? he's not the same hard ball nut that JT and Adams are but he's in better form.

Broomhead's skills are delicious.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:00 pm

slydog81 wrote:
Where is Dwyers role on the team? he's not the same hard ball nut that JT and Adams are but he's in better form.

Broomhead's skills are delicious.

Geez our depth is such a bloody worry these days........ Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:07 pm

gurugeoff wrote:
Rest Swan, Rest Ball, others too maybe, to give some of these other guys a game. We need to work out who our best 22 is when finals come around.

It doesn't matter if player X is doing okay, if player Y in the reserves might be doing better if he got the chance.

Personally, I can't believe that Josh Thomas can't get a game, Sam Dwyer would be handy too.

We just had a bye, we need to get as many games into our best 22 as possible, We need to create chemistry.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:26 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:

Not that I disagree with your comments Daz but don't you think that Adams brings an X factor?

Mind you I'm the one who suggested well before the season that Adams should spend at least half the season in the VFL getting used to the Collingwood game plan and playing style (and got howled down for having that opinion) but I still believe he brings an X factor to the team as well.

You need to insert this as your footer because you seem to include it in most of your posts anyway...

For mine, Adams, like Luke Ball, brings grunt without too much flair so I can't understand the x-factor link. Can he sing or dance? Juggle maybe? Thomas actually has more footy flair than Adams.

At the moment, Elliott, Pendles, Swan and Sidebottom bring a little x-factor. Fasolo has shown he can but hasn't recaptured that sort of form yet. But none of them are on the same x-factor page as Dick, Didak, Davis, Medhurst and Krakouer of recent seasons. Seedsman does and Broomhead and Karnezis could. Dwyer possibly as well.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
One of those games where we need to consider the health of umpires. Goal umpires, that is. On one end there's a great risk of Repetitive strain injury through the constant waving of both arms while on the other we have the danger of Deep vein thrombosis due to lack of movement. Pies by 83!

Don’t be that Cockie

You're right, Dave, I shouldn't be that Cockie.

I'll be this Cockie instead.

Pies by 97!

burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:59 pm

Seen their injury list??

If we dont win this by a triple figure margin in perfect conditions at the Dome then we're kidding ourselves...

That said, pies by 27 Wink

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:04 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
Seen their injury list??

If we dont win this by a triple figure margin in perfect conditions at the Dome then we're kidding ourselves...

That said, pies by 27 Wink

We'll be up by 70 odd at 3qtr time only to rack the cue and win by 30.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:23 pm

mattys123′s Match Preview Round 11 – Collingwood vs St.Kilda is up on the site

http://www.magpies.net/nick/?p=1490

cheers Matt

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm

DaVe86 wrote:
jackcass wrote:
slydog81 wrote:
From what I saw in the magoos on the weekend I would have Adams ahead of JT atm.

Would love to see Broomhead get a run and Dwyer is also playing better than JT.

Thomas and Adams may have had similar games against the Cats but I still think Thomas was the more creative of the 2. And Thomas has been more consistent. Adams the previous game was reportedly going at below 50% DE by foot, and according to reports lost confidence in his kicking to the point where he was opting to handball. Surely consistency of effort counts for something when selectors make their decisions.

Agree on Broomhead and was at a loss as to why Dwyer was dropped in the first place.

All that said, can't see too many changes being made beyond Brown - Keeffe unless Frost doesn't get up. I'd retain both Witts and Grundy. Adams, Thomas, Kennedy, Broomhead, Seedsman, and Dwyer would all be under consideration. Young and Fasolo should be worried.

Can't have that. Ball has no depth on his kicking, sure, but no way is he a "very bad" kick. He is a very smart footballer and makes good decisions with ball in hand. Nothing wrong with his short passing. Adams on the other hand has poor execution and poor decision making, and is as likely to make a mistake with a short kick as a long one. He can kick the ball further, that's about all he has on Ball.

DaVe86 wrote:

As you said, Adams is more like Ball than Thomas is. If we're playing Ball then Thomas makes more sense as an in than Adams who has not shown any real flexibility as yet. If Adams plays, Ball pretty much needs to be rested if we want a good balance.

DaVe86 wrote:

He is still playing better than either Adams or Thomas. They need to show more to replace him, especially in such a key leadership position. Adams so far lacks maturity, Thomas is more settled, but is not yet showing the necessary form.

DaVe86 wrote:

Don't see why. He's just about our best performed defender over the season. No way I'd have Williams ahead of him. He stays until others outperform him. So far that's not even close to happening.

DaVe86 wrote:

Elliott is a real midfield rotation. Provided crucial minutes in the middle against the Eagles, and in other games has been playing all over the field. Fas can also do this. Blair is fine as a mid for short periods. I'd say Elliott is the best mid of the three.

DaVe86 wrote:

I see no chance of Adams playing forward. He doesn't look at all capable. If we want a forward who can rotate through the middle, the obvious option is Kennedy, not Adams or Broomhead, though the latter can do the job, Adams just isn't an option in my opinion.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:56 pm

Adams is much faster than Ball, he's a better long and short kick, and he gets much more of the ball when played in the midfield. He showed what he can do when he played a whole game in the midfield against the cats in the NAB cup game, collecting over 30 disposals - something I can't recall Ball doing for several years. Put simply, Adams is a much improved model than the aging Ball.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10   

Jump to: