Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Cats pip Pies All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

shawthing wrote:
Brown26 wrote:
C'mon Duke - we can all argue wether the umpires were good or not, but you can't argue that the don't affect a result in a close one. There have been a few obvious examples mentioned that remain un explained, by you or anyone else, and they never will be.

If the business world or the aviation world or the health world ran their departments with the lack of accountability and transparency the umpiring department is run with they would be living in Russia. The reason why people should be able to question umpiring decision is for them to be able to be improved. For everyone to say "nothing to see here folks" there will never be any improvement.

Interestingly the umpires are very critical of their games behind closed doors (usually) but there is no accountability or consequence for that, so really little motivation to improve. The same goes for the rules - little reason / motivation to make them actually easier to follow or umpire.

I think this argument has reached a level of logic not usually associated with the post game thread though, so until there is any change and improvement in transparency and process within the umpiring department I will continue to complain about their mistakes, especially recurrent biased errors / unequal interpretations, and you are of course free to ignore anything you wish.

Right. Two things the AFL can do about the umpiring.

(1) For God's sake give up the bounce. We don't need it anymore when more than half the bounces are no good. Throw it up!

(2) Umpires should be on a demerit system with points lost for every bad decision in the games' reviews. This should result in suspensions or demotion to the VFL. There has to be a consequence for bad decisions.

Good start - personally I think it would be enough to have the umpires front up and explain their decisions to the public. They would make a lot less 50/50 decisions that way and we might finally be able to let them say to the world that they made a mistake and that's ok - the occasional mistake is going to happen - but the number of dodgy frees geelong got when they DIDN'T umpire the same standard the other way should be un excusable. The fact that no one will mention it because they'll get a fine or it's taboo in the media means it'll keep happening.

When it happens to Brisbane or Geelong or Hawthorn we'll see an out cry and an umpire demoted, until then the media say silent and the AFL keep it all behind closed doors, resulting in continual and increasing plane crashes, business defaults and patient deaths... or cheating umpiring Razz

But look on the bright side - we played pretty well for 3 quarters and well enough to win the game usually, and we're arguing about a game of footy not something on the other side of the world...

- Ben
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:07 pm

Greening gold wrote:
Horrible night. And the bl00dy cricket in Pakistan is Aus 5/69. Where’s my book.

This is like 1/2 of the Aussie team. And the captain is past it.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:09 pm

Look young teams will have days or quarters like that
Momentum is a fickle beast we had it in spades in term 3 they had it in term 4
Difference was they kicked a late one in the 3rd and kicked straighter all night

Starting he last term we had Adams Elliott on the bench that was a rookie coaching error
We needed to start the last term strong get the ball going our way and then spell them
Sidey got a bump early in the last so we had Adams Elliott Sidey all off 3 minutes into the last term not ideal leaving so many youngsters exposed
Adams is our barometer in the middle he isn’t our most skilled but he is our toughest in and under player
Coaching wise Fly missed a couple of moves that could have helped steady us more
Move checkers back to add assistance to Moore Howe who were being over run
Load the forward line with all our smalls who could have pressed up high then turned and run back at speed
I’m disappointed with a few of the senior players who made some every ordinary errors in that final term notably Crisp Pendles Moore and Grundy

Look this is NOT world ending stuff we are playing a new highly manic game plan and the kids just run out of puff
We got no favours from the umps when we needed a break to the contrary we got pinged relentlessly on every 50/50

We still had a chance to win with 5 minutes to go so there is light at the end of the tunnel

Last edited by qldmagpie67 on Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:11 pm

No doubt there are a thousand things, did Cameron win it off his own boot?.

We lost because in the clinches, in those moments of truth, Geelong was able to have just one more touch pushing the ball to the advantage of that one extra player at the tail of the contest.

We got caught over the top when it counted. Proving it is an experience problem, not a skill problem.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:11 pm

qldmagpie67, do you mean "not" world-ending stuff?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:13 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
qldmagpie67, do you mean "not" world-ending stuff?

Yes edited old mate
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:14 pm

We can play well for three quarters we need a couple more preseasons
We showed our kids what they can do
No-one should think we can play finals this year
Our kids are developing well

We need a KPF should get one at the end of season
No way is a rebuild one year

Enjoy the year as a development year not a won/loss year

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:17 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Load the forward line with all our smalls who could have pressed up high then turned and run back at speed

These were the type of moves I was hoping for, but nothing happened.
I guess I may have unfairly expected something from a coaching panel that includes two previous senior coaches. Best to have zilch expectations at this stage I guess.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:19 pm

neil wrote:
We can play well for three quarters we need a couple more preseasons
We showed our kids what they can do
No-one should think we can play finals this year
Our kids are developing well

We need a KPF should get one at the end of season
No way is a rebuild one year

Enjoy the year as a development year not a won/loss year

Summed up perfectly. I don’t care about the wins, and I’d prefer we don’t make finals so we can target a forward. I’ve had a feeling from before the start of the season that we will make the eight though. We are tracking where we need to be. I can see what we are trying to do and it looks good. Everyone should enjoy the ride, I think it will result in success.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:20 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

These were the type of moves I was hoping for, but nothing happened.
I guess I may have unfairly expected something from a coaching panel that includes two previous senior coaches. Best to have zilch expectations at this stage I guess.

Yea and have no tall targets up forward, where we already struggle. Glad you two weren’t in the box. I mean we can write a coach off after his third game in charge, I’d give him more time seeing we gave the previous one 10 years and a premiership winning team to start his tenure.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:27 pm

No targets up forward but stopping Geelong kicking 8 goals would have won the match... Wink But I see your point - really we're a strong key forward short, and we all know that, and a full back short due to injury, and we all know that.

Limited coaching moves can do to help that but it would have been something. I think though from a coaching perspective you need to really look at the middle and if the players aren't able to run and hit and chase, there's not much you can do throwing other players in there.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:29 pm

I missed the game entirely, but it seems from comments here, that in the last qtr, we should have put the McCrae attack at all costs game plan aside , and gone back to the Bucks defensive game plan, just for that last quarter. Would that have helped save the match at all ?

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:30 pm

shawthing wrote:
duke750 wrote:

Before the game most Pies supporters would have taken a loss by a couple of goals.

Against Geelong, NEVER. They are easily my most hated side. I'd rather see Carlton beat us than those Corio Pensioners.

Wow now I have heard it all 😳 Hating a team more than Carlscum? WTF is wrong with this current generation? Obviously can’t read bloody history 😡🤬

Return of the baldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:31 pm

Disappointing to lose the way we did, but I wanted us to be competitive. And that we did. Had their measure for 3 quarters before we ran out of legs in the last.
That third quarter was something special and first half was high class except for the goal kicking. Felt that their strong bodies came to the fore in the last.
Lots to work on and good learnings from this game.
woodys_world69 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:31 pm

gave away 50 free kicks in the first 10 minutes of the last Quarter. Pretty hard to hold the tsunami back!

was probably a strategy to go all out in the 3rd Quarter and try and hold on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13   

Jump to: