Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the kind of films you like.

The Herald Sun's no star review is entirely in line with their readership. I'm sure Andrew Bolt is writing an article about it as we speak.

I gave it 4 and a half stars out of 5, myself. Be warned though, it is unashamedly 'arty', and the sex and violence are more graphic than much preceding it. It's beautifully shot though, and quite clever in its own twisted way.

Last edited by David on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:32 pm

The kind of films you like is always an important factor.
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:02 pm

Hostel 1 & 2 - great for me, not so great for Kingswood....

Happy trails my friend!
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:19 am

New Movie: 'Choke', based on the book writtin by Chuck Palahniuk, author of Fight Club.

You can tell it's by the same author as it has some similar things to Fight Club (e.g. self help groups... in this case for sex addicts), but is more quirky and revolves around a guy's relationship with his mother who is slowing getting worse with dementia - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024715/

Old Movie:
'Godfather III'. Classic! Godfather Part II is still my favourite.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:22 am

Did you know that you can download your own chat robot and create your own robot personality? Is that your final answer?
Bruno 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 am

Which publication do people believe provide the best film reviews?

I fully trust The Times (London). (Sorry for mentioning this newspaper AGAIN).

As for local Melbourne newspaper, the Herald Sun is a bit low-brow whilst the Age is a bit too into films like Yi Yi and Australian Story for my liking.
Bruno 

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:15 am

... sorry. I mean't "Japanese Story" and not "Australian Story".
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:40 am

Bruno wrote:
Which publication do people believe provide the best film reviews?

I fully trust The Times (London). (Sorry for mentioning this newspaper AGAIN).

As for local Melbourne newspaper, the Herald Sun is a bit low-brow whilst the Age is a bit too into films like Yi Yi and Australian Story for my liking.

Sight & Sound Magazine from the UK is my first choice, and Film Comment from the US is also quite good. Of the local newspapers, The Age is the only one that I bother to read the film reviews in.

Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:56 am

i find i agree with most of roger eberts reviews he is usually the first opinion i seek out
David Libra

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:27 pm

Ebert's ok, but he frustrates me from time to time. I think my favourite critics are Jonathan Rosenbaum (Chicago Reader) and Geoff Andrew (Time Out) (like me, they're both huge Nouvelle Vague fans), with David Stratton (At the Movies) and Jim Schembri (The Age) being my favourite local critics.

As for movies, I saw The French Kissers last night. The first 10 minutes made it seem like a French attempt at American Pie or Superbad, but it turned out far better than those, and it's really quite funny for a teen comedy. I'd really recommend it if you're looking for something light.

Jameoz23 Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:03 pm

paranormal activity it is boring
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:40 am

I like Margaret and David at the Movies. They are both quality reviewers (if you can ignore David Stratton's obsession against hand held cameras). I am probably the only poster on this thread old enough to be turned on by Margaret Pomerantz but I think she is wonderful. I think what I like is seeing the passionate enthusiasm that you would associate with a very young woman in the eyes and voice of a well preserved woman pushing sixty!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:10 am

Dr Pie wrote:
I like Margaret and David at the Movies. They are both quality reviewers (if you can ignore David Stratton's obsession against hand held cameras). I am probably the only poster on this thread old enough to be turned on by Margaret Pomerantz but I think she is wonderful. I think what I like is seeing the passionate enthusiasm that you would associate with a very young woman in the eyes and voice of a well preserved woman pushing sixty!

I have to admit their reviews are very good, and often conflicting with each other which is good because you can take what you need out of each review and come to a pretty good conclusion about the movie in question.

David Libra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:13 am

Wow, there are some great movies out at the moment:

Away We Go: Sweet indie romantic comedy about a couple looking for a place to raise their soon-to-be-born child. Great performances by the leads, and even though some of the people they come across are little more than caricatures, it's all very believable and funny throughout, and sometimes quite poignant. Really recommend it. Directed by Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Jarhead)

Where the Wild Things Are: Marketed as a kids film, but most adults will probably find this quite moving. Fantasy tale with quite dark elements and painful observations about childhood and loneliness. Directed by Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation)

The French Kissers: Not officially released until Saturday, but I saw a preview screening and was very impressed. If you can handle subtitles, this is one of the funniest and most excruciating teen comedies I've ever seen. One of the more accurate portrayals of the high school experience I've seen - will probably appeal to those who liked Superbad or John Hughes' films of the 80s.

Genova and Antichrist are still showing, and I'd recommend both highly (the latter, of course, with caveats). Otherwise, Bright Star, The Lovely Bones, Fantastic Mr. Fox, In the Loop and Precious all look worth seeing, and are coming out over the next month. I'll be doing a lot of film viewing, that's for sure!

OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:32 am

David wrote:
Wow, there are some great movies out at the moment:

Where the Wild Things Are: Marketed as a kids film, but most adults will probably find this quite moving. Fantasy tale with quite dark elements and painful observations about childhood and loneliness. Directed by Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation)

Wanted to take my 3 year old son to see this, he's a massive fan of the book. Unfortunately some of the reviews have put me off taking him, not due to being negative as they've all been positive to date, but they have pointed out some things about the movie that make me think some parts may be a little "heavy" for him.
Normally I'll see any movie first before I'll take my kids just so I can screen it and make sure it's appropriate. One movie I was glad I screened was "Up", an incredibly depressing movie full of violence and aggression. In my opinion definitely not a young child friendly movie.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 238, 239, 240  Next
Page 7 of 240   

Jump to: