Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#47,#11 Jarryd Blair

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

5150 wrote:
What sort of coin do you think he would have signed for?

Anything over $200k would surprise me.

He really should only be seen as depth so anything over $100K would shock me.

But then, we signed Young and White to 3 year deals so maybe I should be less shocked (but no less appalled) about these things.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:28 pm

FWIW Blair is far, far from the worst player ever to play for the Pies. Just saying.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:47 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:
Typical. How many Buckley fanboys told use before his appointment he wouldn't tolerate mediocrity?

Yeah right.

I don't recall you complaining about Blair when he played under Malthouse.But obviously in your view of the world saint Mick can do no wrong and spud Buckley can do no right. Rolling Eyes

That's patently untrue! Blair in 2010 was a revelation. Malthouse has nothing to do with it. But only the most one-eyed fool would say Blair hasn't gone backwards a big way since then. Since when was five possessions the measure of a fair match at Collingwood? Under Buckley. Boom boom.

I just think this contract extension highlights the sheer mediocrity that has gripped our club. It started when Eddie extended Bucks contract earlier in the year. No other clubs were queuing up for Buckley's services and what had he done to justify an extension?

The same applies to Blair. Surely the better thing to do would have been to say to Blair, "Look mate, you have three weeks to show us why we should renew your contract." Why do it now? It's not as if ANY other clubs are looking for him.

Everyone inside the club is on easy street (courtesy of the 80,000 memberships). I hope next year a little financial reality will kick in and people will have to earn their keep for a change! Evil or Very Mad

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:42 pm

Well,Jack,i mean Collie dog,i can remember when Malthouse was coach he would play Leigh Brown continually even though he would get five possessions or less in a game and have no impact on the game.He would also recruit duds from the West Coast eagles like Chad Morison and Andrew Williams,and play them for years before finally discarding them after belatedly realizing that they were no good.

He always played favourites with certain players,just as Buckley is doing with Blair right now.They're both as bad as eachother in that regard as far as i'm concerned.

But to suggest that Buckley tolerates mediocrity,while Malthouse never did,is blatantly untrue and a clear re-writing of history to serve your own purposes.
ThePieMind 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:46 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
Typical. How many Buckley fanboys told use before his appointment he wouldn't tolerate mediocrity?

Yeah right.

Who is busting the door down at VFL level to take his spot?
I doubt Bucks would be playing him if an inform replacement was available.

KM was punted by many but got stage fright or is not upto it - I doubt he is a straight swap given he lacks grunt.

If BK, Broomhead and JT can live up to their potential do you think Bucks would still pick Blair?

I doubt it - the guy is a pragmatist, and much less likely to pay favourites than other coaches.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:21 pm

Tannin wrote:
piedys wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
David wrote:
You guys suck. Blair is great, and I'm happy that he'll be wearing the black and white for another two years. You don't have to like all our players, but no need to act like tossers.

Midgets are meant to be tossed.

Or traded. Or delisted. And most certainly not re-signed.

And David, there is absoltutely nothing "great" about Blair, unless you consider his undeniable ability to get worse with each passing season.
He is the epitome of why our club fails. Senior players showing no desire to improve themselves each pre-season. Just the same old one-trick-ponys who deteriorate their skills to ball-slaughtering reserve level.
But they don't care, because they've got their contracts. Chaaa-chiiiing.
Lock it in Eddie.

All i see is players from other clubs passing him for talent and execution by the week, like he is standing still. Many of us on this forum wonder with astonishment on exactly how and why he demands a game each week, with what very little he brings to the table.
You certainly have more faith in him than i and a few others do.
But hey, i respect your opinion regardless.
You suggest he has value, i say label him a list-clogger.

Dyso, you got it dead wrong. Sorry, it's a plain fact that you are mistaken. No doubt about it at all. Not opinion, fact. In the real world, "ponys" is written "ponies" and don't you forget it. Sadly, one can only agree with the remainder of your post. Blair is a decent player, very very good at his one special skill (puffing out his cheeks to show everyone how hard he is trying - he's the undisputed world champion at cheek-puffing) and fair-to-middling at most of the other aspects of the game.

He's been in the system as a senior player for five years now and the frank reality is that he is no better today than he was in 2010. If anything, he's gone a bit backwards in that time. Face facts, Collingwood, he is never going to develop into the pocket dynamo he looked like becoming as a youngster. He went straight to his maximum level in 2011 and that is all there is. If there was more to this player, if he had the potential to develop into a genuine best-22 member of a premiership side, he would have done so already.

He is no dud. He can play, and he works hard at it. At a battling club - a St Kilda, say, a Melbourne, or a GWS of last year - where they are not looking a being a contender anytime soon and need a core of experienced players to hold things together while the kids learn the trade, he might be useful. Or he could play VFL or SANFL and be a genuine star at that level - you could see him winning a Sandover Medal in the WAFL. but at a club with premiership hopes, he is one of two things: (a) a list-clogger who needs to be moved on, or (b) a handy depth player good for five games a year to cover injuries and a stalwart of the VFL side.

It's not his fault he keeps on getting picked despite not being quite up to AFL standard. He undoubtedly does his best, which is all you can ask of any man. It's the fault of the selectors who keep mindlessly picking the same old failures knowing that they will never improve instead of rolling the dice with some kids to see who can step up and become a premiership-standard player. Try all the kids! If they can't perform, throw them back and try some different ones in next year's draft. Just don't, FFS, keep on playing dead-end players who will never take you to a premiership.

Embarassed Embarassed

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:37 pm

Some really ordinary posting in here by the usual haters and shit stirrers. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Well done Blair on reaching the ton and congrats on the contract.

Thank you for your loyalty. Given the reaction from your collective fan base here I'm surprised you didn't choose to leave TBH.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:49 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Well,Jack,i mean Collie dog,i can remember when Malthouse was coach he would play Leigh Brown continually even though he would get five possessions or less in a game and have no impact on the game.He would also recruit duds from the West Coast eagles like Chad Morison and Andrew Williams,and play them for years before finally discarding them after belatedly realizing that they were no good.

He always played favourites with certain players,just as Buckley is doing with Blair right now.They're both as bad as eachother in that regard as far as i'm concerned.

But to suggest that Buckley tolerates mediocrity,while Malthouse never did,is blatantly untrue and a clear re-writing of history to serve your own purposes.

Most of us will recall Jack bagging Malthouse at every opportunity and promoting Buckley as the saviour not all that long ago. He has no credibility on this topic.

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:49 pm

Wokko wrote:
princem007 wrote:
All the so called experts bagging Blairy, how many games did you play in black and white ?

I bet half of you never got off the couch.

And you have to be under 139cm to be a midget.

Some of the best analysts of the game never played. This is a stupid a fallacious argument when someone says something you don't like. Blair's been spudding it up this year but trying really, really hard. To suggest otherwise is delusional.

For someone who says he doesn't go to any (or not many) games, how can you tell he's "spudding it up"??
Stats??
He hasn't dropped too many chest marks on the lead like a few others. Rolling Eyes

In fact, if we want to judge football "the old way" (which I'd much prefer but isn't relevant the way football is played at the moment), Blair doesn't really get beaten in a 1-on-1 very often does he?? One of his strengths is actually breaking even when outnumbered, he does this regularly. You don't get a stat for stopping the opposition break away, but I'd bet my hat you get a tick from the coach.

This argument has been done to death - he's basically in the side to thwart the opposition, and to bring teammates into the game including covering for the likes of Elliot, Beams, Sidebottom when they run forward, amongst other things. Anything he does in an attacking sense is a bonus. Pointing out his 10 goals in 18 games is missing the point really.

Not agreeing we need someone to do these things is one thing, I can certainly understand that, I'm frustrated by our current game plan and by extension the modern game as much as the next person - but bagging a bloke for doing what he's been asked to do is arse-about............

I can't wait until our team develops so we can play 22 blokes that average 25 possessions and 2 goals each.
That's 550 possessions and 44 goals every week!! Givus the next 10 flags!!!!!!!!

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Not a classy thread despite the best intentions of the OP.
thompsoc 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:46 pm

I see the usual club stooges posting on this thread.
Tow the party line and claim all is well in pieland.
Blair is averaging 0.6 goals and just for comparison
betts of adelaide is averaging 2.2.
Why bother going on.
if blair ever got another club interested in his services
i would be amazed.
It is a good deal for blair. if i was blair i would be very happy.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:07 pm

ThePieMind wrote:
rocketronnie wrote:

Yeah right.

Who is busting the door down at VFL level to take his spot?
I doubt Bucks would be playing him if an inform replacement was available.

KM was punted by many but got stage fright or is not upto it - I doubt he is a straight swap given he lacks grunt.

If BK, Broomhead and JT can live up to their potential do you think Bucks would still pick Blair?

I doubt it - the guy is a pragmatist, and much less likely to pay favourites than other coaches.

Exactly!
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:13 pm

King Monkey wrote:
Wokko wrote:
princem007 wrote:
All the so called experts bagging Blairy, how many games did you play in black and white ?

I bet half of you never got off the couch.

And you have to be under 139cm to be a midget.

Some of the best analysts of the game never played. This is a stupid a fallacious argument when someone says something you don't like. Blair's been spudding it up this year but trying really, really hard. To suggest otherwise is delusional.

For someone who says he doesn't go to any (or not many) games, how can you tell he's "spudding it up"??
Stats??
He hasn't dropped too many chest marks on the lead like a few others. Rolling Eyes

In fact, if we want to judge football "the old way" (which I'd much prefer but isn't relevant the way football is played at the moment), Blair doesn't really get beaten in a 1-on-1 very often does he?? One of his strengths is actually breaking even when outnumbered, he does this regularly. You don't get a stat for stopping the opposition break away, but I'd bet my hat you get a tick from the coach.

This argument has been done to death - he's basically in the side to thwart the opposition, and to bring teammates into the game including covering for the likes of Elliot, Beams, Sidebottom when they run forward, amongst other things. Anything he does in an attacking sense is a bonus. Pointing out his 10 goals in 18 games is missing the point really.

Not agreeing we need someone to do these things is one thing, I can certainly understand that, I'm frustrated by our current game plan and by extension the modern game as much as the next person - but bagging a bloke for doing what he's been asked to do is arse-about............

I can't wait until our team develops so we can play 22 blokes that average 25 possessions and 2 goals each.
That's 550 possessions and 44 goals every week!! Givus the next 10 flags!!!!!!!!

Actually beat Nic Nat in a 1x1 contest last week, got to love him!
Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:01 pm

Well done, Blairy. Hope the team can get the win, and you can celebrate a memorable 100th game.

Go the Pies!
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:39 am

thompsoc wrote:
I see the usual club stooges posting on this thread.
Tow the party line and claim all is well in pieland.
Blair is averaging 0.6 goals and just for comparison
betts of adelaide is averaging 2.2.
Why bother going on.
if blair ever got another club interested in his services
i would be amazed.
It is a good deal for blair. if i was blair i would be very happy.

No not much is going well at pieland. Who's saying that? Or did you just make that part up to puff up your argument?

Fact is Blair has been a loyal player and given his all. Why shouldn't we be happy for him ??? He plays for our club. The one we supposedly support. He busts his gut week in week out for our club.

The fact he's probably a Fringe player or even just at vfl standard for a club like hawthorn is irrelevant, because he plays for our club....you know ....the one we support? And at our club there's not a lot of competition for his spot. Primarily because it's not all Blair's fault, there are 22 other players you could argue aren't delivering at present either but who's waiting to take their spots? Our list doesn't run that deep right now and Him playing in the twos will make very little difference to our current performances ......all you'll do is take away some experience from the team, something we lack badly.

The nastiness and Ill will towards a a player who just committed to our club and stayed loyal blows me away. There may not be other other clubs knocking down his door, but he certainly didnt test the waters either.

I respect the guy, and I'm happy for him...... It's pretty straight forward.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 7 of 43   

Jump to: