Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2019 Pre-season training reports and other observations

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

35forever wrote:
There seems to be a school of "thought", which says you just can't anticipate the rolling Sherrin. To some extent that's true, and it's more true as velocity DE-creases. A quickly bouncing ball is fairly easy to pick up as the bounce will overcome the propensity to move sideways. Once the ball slows down the likelihood of sideways travel & uneven height of bounce increases. But watching the bounce closely & keeping the head low allows a player to more easily track & anticipate the ball's path & bounce.

Hmm... Do people agree with this claim? Should I start (another) poll?
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:58 am

Gold Coast pre-season training @ Southport FC ~
Players fly up Sunday 13th, training Monday 14th to Friday 11th.
Training times to follow. Football Dep't yet to confirm with front office admin.

Training report to follow.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:31 pm

LaurieHolden wrote:
Training times to follow. Football Dep't yet to confirm with front office admin.

I'll be going down to the training once I know the times and will report on same
Hopefully I can upload some video for those interested
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:29 am

K wrote:
35forever wrote:
There seems to be a school of "thought", which says you just can't anticipate the rolling Sherrin. To some extent that's true, and it's more true as velocity DE-creases. A quickly bouncing ball is fairly easy to pick up as the bounce will overcome the propensity to move sideways. Once the ball slows down the likelihood of sideways travel & uneven height of bounce increases. But watching the bounce closely & keeping the head low allows a player to more easily track & anticipate the ball's path & bounce.

Hmm... Do people agree with this claim? Should I start (another) poll?

Which one?

The physics of the Sherrin? Its PHYSICS.

But feel free to take a footy out on the street & start rolling it. I believe it works best on wider streets, and with the sun lower in the sky, so I recommend trying it on St.Kilda Rd, or perhaps Hoddle St. before 9 or after 5 Mr. Green

But seriously, watch the Greening clips on YT, he bends his back remarkably low, and anticipates the ball awful goodly. I can assure you though, with more & more practice it does get easier to follow & anticipate the ball. It can't be perfect because of surface, the individual ball etc. But the whole time I played I was better than most at picking up the ball, probably because my bro & I were kicking the ball every spare moment.
I find myself stunned & slightly sick watching modern players farf around trying to grab the loose pill. Clearly they don't spend NEARLY enough time with the footy. They do so much fitness & other shite they can't take sitter marks & can't kick for shit.

Whats the point!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:39 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

I'll be going down to the training once I know the times and will report on same

Are they not going to the Sunshine Coast this year? Sad

VERY interested in seeing vid QP, that would be great! And put yer own mug on the tape too, so we know what you look like.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 am

35forever wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

Are they not going to the Sunshine Coast this year? Sad

VERY interested in seeing vid QP, that would be great! And put yer own mug on the tape too, so we know what you look like.

That may not be a great idea, his missus used to have a portrait of him over the mantlepiece to keep the kids away from the fire. Wink

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:15 am

In a place called Everton ,a 26 kilometre ride from Wang and the Will Work
For Beer!!! didn’t sorry to say —-friken pub shut

Off to grow a beard to see if that’ll work

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:11 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
LaurieHolden wrote:

Do you think we could get some footage of Tommy Langdon (other than when he runs past Dayne Beams of course)?

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm

35forever wrote:
K wrote:
35forever wrote:

Hmm... Do people agree with this claim? ...

Which one?

The physics of the Sherrin? Its PHYSICS.

But feel free to take a footy out on the street & start rolling it. I believe it works best on wider streets, and with the sun lower in the sky, so I recommend trying it on St.Kilda Rd, or perhaps Hoddle St. before 9 or after 5 Mr. Green

Yep, 35f, the question of the physics of the Sherrin. I'm sure it will bobble about. I just don't know whether the irregularity of the bounce increases as the velocity decreases. (Maybe it does. I just don't know.) Are you saying that your described experiment unambiguously shows that at high speeds the ball is much more straight and predictable in its bounce? (Are you sure that, in what you see, the slowly and quickly moving footballs are in other respects basically the same, so it's not comparing chalk and cheese?)

(I think rolling it on a footy ground is more realistic and convenient than on St. K Rd.)
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:08 pm

Photos from the first training session of 2019.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2019-01-09/pies-back-on-deck

Based on the above comments, K has clearly never played footy or he'd understand the bounce of the Sherrin.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:14 pm

35forever is perfectly correct, of course. Anyone who has played much footy (even just kick-to-kick in the schoolyard or the street) knows this.

The physics of a slow-bouncing ball and a fast one are quite different, largely because of the limited ability of the ball-grass interface to transmit force. A slow ball tends to grip, where a fast ball tends to slide. In consequence, the slow ball is more prone to changing direction.

For exactly the same reason, a slow bowler (e.g., a leg spinner) gets a lot more sideways movement than a quick, even if they impart equal rotation as the ball leaves the hand. A slow bowler with a bit of loop and drop (again, any good leggie does this) also has the ability to get the pill to bounce high off a good length, or stay low and come straight on. Quicks cant do this, not to the same extent. Why? Because physics.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Tannin, if you're sure that in your experience for exactly equivalent balls there is more deviation in one case, then that's fine. But the spinning cricket ball is not a good analogy. In football, it's not grip or spin that's the issue (or, rather, spin is an added issue). It's just the shape of the ball and which part at which angle makes contact with the ground. There's no grip issue there.

If we want dubious cricket analogies, we could claim it's closer to movement off the seam. Is that more or less for faster bowlers? It could be neither...

(In my experience, especially kick to kick you mention, the ball was never bouncing around on the ground at different speeds. Aren't you supposed to kick it to each other in kick to kick? It's definitely possible I cannot remember these things any more, though.)
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:33 am

Yes, there is a grip issue, and no it's not just the shape of the ball. When the ball bounces, there is almost always some lateral component to its motion on impact. (The only exception is when the ball is travelling straight down at 90 degrees to the surface - typically for a centre bounce.) Where the ball grips and "resists" this lateral component, you get bigger deviation angles. Where the ball slides (rather than grips) you get less deviation. Basic physics. Same as a cricket ball. (There are difference too, of course, but grip certainly makes a difference to the way either ball bounces.)
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:12 am

I feel for Jamie E. he was a spectator or non participant for the time trial and left the track earlier than the squad before the break. according to Walsh "just precautionary". no one in the footy world believes that.
where to for J?
my personal believe he is broken and unfixable. but fact he's a super star and has plenty of youth on his side the club has given him another chance in good faith and with this new set back we won't be seeing him until the last 1/4 of the season. here's hoping anyway.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:25 am

Tannin wrote:
35forever is perfectly correct, of course. Anyone who has played much footy (even just kick-to-kick in the schoolyard or the street) knows this.

The physics of a slow-bouncing ball and a fast one are quite different, largely because of the limited ability of the ball-grass interface to transmit force. A slow ball tends to grip, where a fast ball tends to slide. In consequence, the slow ball is more prone to changing direction.

For exactly the same reason, a slow bowler (e.g., a leg spinner) gets a lot more sideways movement than a quick, even if they impart equal rotation as the ball leaves the hand. A slow bowler with a bit of loop and drop (again, any good leggie does this) also has the ability to get the pill to bounce high off a good length, or stay low and come straight on. Quicks cant do this, not to the same extent. Why? Because physics.

Malcolm Marshall didn't know anything about physics so he just moved the ball off the seam as far as a leggie could spin it, but at 145kmh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 7 of 18   

Jump to: