Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Cats pip Pies All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I am gutted to lose like that. But there is alot to be happy about. The ball movement has been transformed, and the players are playing with an aggression and energy that we hardly ever saw unleashed last year. The massive improvement in goal scoring potency is astonishing. It is due in part to the aggressive ball movement and also due to the high pressure we are exerting in our F50. During the game I noticed that we left our defensive 50 open a couple of times, which allowed Geelong an easy goal when they counterattacked after we lost possession. Nevertheless, I didn't mind that too much - I see that as a consequence of playing a highly aggressive and risk taking game style. There is enormous talent in our team which remained untapped due the previous coach's game plan (resulting in 1 goal to 3/4 time) - We are now witnessing it and it is exhilarating. We looked awesome in the 3rd quarter. it reminded me of how we played in 2010. Young players in the team lacked stamina and experience and we were unable to clinch the game. Coaches will need to draw the lessons and practise strategies for situations such as this when maybe we needed to adjust our play. I think the team will learn alot from this experience.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:33 pm

Brown26 wrote:
No targets up forward but stopping Geelong kicking 8 goals would have won the match... Wink But I see your point - really we're a strong key forward short, and we all know that, and a full back short due to injury, and we all know that.

Limited coaching moves can do to help that but it would have been something. I think though from a coaching perspective you need to really look at the middle and if the players aren't able to run and hit and chase, there's not much you can do throwing other players in there.
Correct. Making changes, like moving Checkers back would have done nothing. The midfield not getting back to help cover in defence is what cost. We stopped sticking tackles and their bigger bodies and better fitness won the game. Losing Sidey didn’t help either. We need all the experience we can get on the field right now.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:45 pm

It’s really easy to over analyse this stuff. There’s a seasoned opposition out there and they have been doing the same thing under the same coach for many years. That same group also play finals every year but thankfully they don’t win the one that counts.
Our new style of footy stacks up. We’ve kicking close enough to 100 points three weeks in a row and we’re winning more quarters than we’re losing. We simply have to get better longer and that will come. It will come with time, bigger bodies, more experience and playing under this game style more often.
We haven’t yet found the right balance of offence vs defence or the right mix of players staying down or going up or going in and staying out. The VFL squad looks promising and there’s still plenty of talent yet to be unwrapped.
It will come but it doesn’t come without a few speed bumps along the way.
Think of the entire season last year and then think of an overview of our first three weeks this season. If that’s not enough to remind you of the direction we’re headed in, then nothing ever will.
schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:48 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
It’s really easy to over analyse this stuff. There’s a seasoned opposition out there and they have been doing the same thing under the same coach for many years. That same group also play finals every year but thankfully they don’t win the one that counts.
Our new style of footy stacks up. We’ve kicking close enough to 100 points three weeks in a row and we’re winning more quarters than we’re losing. We simply have to get better longer and that will come. It will come with time, bigger bodies, more experience and playing under this game style more often.
We haven’t yet found the right balance of offence vs defence or the right mix of players staying down or going up or going in and staying out. The VFL squad looks promising and there’s still plenty of talent yet to be unwrapped.
Think of the entire season last year and then think of an overview of our first three weeks this season. If that’s not enough to remind you of the direction we’re headed in, then nothing ever will.
See you get, why is it not easy for others.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:50 pm

Them having Cameron kick 6.1 and us having De Goey kick 1.4 had a fair bit to do with it, too. The game should have been over at 3/4 time. Collingwood had played 18 goals worth of football but muffed easy chances, early. If they'd put them on the board, it wouldn't have mattered.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:51 pm

schuey07 wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
See you get, why is it not easy for others.

Pies2016 cheats by knowing about stuff. Laughing
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:52 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
I missed the game entirely, but it seems from comments here, that in the last qtr, we should have put the McCrae attack at all costs game plan aside , and gone back to the Bucks defensive game plan, just for that last quarter. Would that have helped save the match at all ?

I’m not overly unhappy at pushing a top four team right to the end. We will learn from this and go on to improve. Kicking for goal is our nemesis. That’s an area we have struggled in for a few years now. Bad kicking is bad football Bottom line, we were not good enough to hang on to a four goal lead. We are really bad at defending leads at half time. Really have to work on a few areas we are lacking in at present. In the cool light of day we have a long way to go to play with the big boys. The marathon just got longer and harder. I was optimistic about having the majority of the players needed for improving a developing team but I was way wrong. The club needs another 3 - 4 years of recruiting key forwards and other gaps they need to fill with the skill and talent required to win in games like this. No self respecting team should allow the opposition to win in such circumstances. It is beyond excuses for being young. Even good young teams shouldn’t fall away so comprehensively and we can’t deny that Collingwood cannot be trusted to win games when leading by big margins. Realistically we don’t have too many players with the right stuff in their DNA, hence this repetition of stuffing up big leads. It is a cancer that needs to be completely eradicated before we even think about success. The process is long term planning with the right mixture of players capable of achieving what we and the club want. It will take much longer than I thought.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:57 pm

I think you over-estimate how much recruiting is required. There's still a lot of (presently very raw) talent in the VFL. There's a few under-par players in the seniors - but we've long-since cleared out the worst offenders.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:59 pm

schuey07 wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
schuey07 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
The other concern tonight was just how often Geelong got into their forward line and had loose players and on more than one occasion they had multiple players on their own.

Yep, happened such a lot, which made me wonder - is the game plan to sacrifice defence for attack, or has the balance not yet been achieved and still a work in progress 🤔

I think the game plan was not to be 1 goal at 3/4 time, like last time. Big tick for that. We have a couple of under-talented spuds in the back line that people keep calling "best 22". That, coupled with Roughead's absence, is hurting. The difficulty, at the moment, is that there aren't too many pressing up from the VFL to take those other two places.
I think PP prefers the boring 1 goal to 3/4 time game plan.

And I think schuey thinks he/she can read other people's minds!!!!
I didn't say I didn't like what happened to 3/4 time ....der. Just wondering whether an emphasis on defending is sometimes required.
I know that you had a thing for the previous coach. I’m a he by the way. We ran out of legs in the last, that’s why we weren’t getting back to defend. It will come together when we have more experience and fitness in the younger players.

Well I hated the old coaches negative game plan, but your point might have some merit if not for the fact it wasn’t a last qtr problem but was occurring all game. It was extremely bad in the first half when they were toying with us with 4 players inside 50 on their own.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Them having Cameron kick 6.1 and us having De Goey kick 1.4 had a fair bit to do with it, too. The game should have been over at 3/4 time. Collingwood had played 18 goals worth of football but muffed easy chances, early. If they'd put them on the board, it wouldn't have mattered.

If, if, if…………..😩 don’t you ever get sick of this “if” situation? I do. 😓

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:02 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
What was the last free kick to Hawkins for?It seemed like there was nothing in it.Geelong seemed to be getting free kicks for nothing like that all night,even when they were behind.

That was one of the rare genuine ones, pretty sure it was Adam’s who just bowled his opponent over after he’d kicked the ball in frustration so it was a downfield free.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:04 pm

I'm not "sick of" the situation. No. I was commenting on perceived deficiencies in the game plan. There was nothing wrong with the game plan, save that De Goey couldn't execute competently in the first quarter, when he had the opposition on toast.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:08 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think you over-estimate how much recruiting is required. There's still a lot of (presently very raw) talent in the VFL. There's a few under-par players in the seniors - but we've long-since cleared out the worst offenders.

Okay then we will have to get used to Collingwood getting done until the raw talent ripens. I think recruiting players we need in conjunction with the ripening of the talent is the way to go. This will all take time and requires patience, a commodity patently lacking in a group of posters here.

schuey07 Aries

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:11 pm

Lazza wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Okay then we will have to get used to getting done until the raw talent ripens. I think recruiting players we need in conjunction with the ripening of the talent is the way to go. This will all take time and requires patience, a commodity patently lacking in a group of posters here.
I’ve got patience. A lot of us do. We’re going in the right direction.Those first two wins have made people get ahead of themselves. Slow and steady.
Haff Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:17 pm

Jesus. Lots of emotion here. I didn’t expect to be 2-1 and a couple of butchered kicks from 3-0. More positives from this game than 95% of last season.
Shyte loss. We’ll hopefully get better from here.
Like my current COVID, I think we are past the worst of it, and ahead of time too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13   

Jump to: