Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PURA CUP

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

NSW declared at 8/544.

Steve Waugh scored 211 with 21 fours and 1 six. Brad Haddin hit 117 in 139 balls with 10 fours and 4 sixes. Their partnership was 167. Nathan Bracken was 38 not out from 41 balls.

The Bushies are 0/64 after 20 overs with Jason Arnberger (27) and Matthew Mott (29).

Time will tell but I think the declaration was left far too late. Did Tugga lose the plot? 200 not out and 450 for the Blues was surely enough. After all, they need outright points more than the Vics.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:21 am

The match between Tassie Tigers and Western Warriors has been abandoned because of the state of the wicket. It's a draw with no points awarded.

Donny.

Kristin5 Taurus

Fiery Redhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:23 am

Donny!!! I've already warned you once - no more cracks at Stevie!!!

Anyway, to me, it would be the perfect result, Stevie has a great individual performance but the Vics still come out on top of NSW! Win, win all round!

"I'm sure people see me as a screaming redhead with a big pair of boobs, but I like to think I've got things to say." Geri Halliwell, former member of the Spice Girls
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:40 pm

CAN WE STOP TALKING ABOUT STEVE WAUGH LOL IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY! I guess all my Slater talk drives you guys crazy too though so I shouldn't say anything! I was at the game again today bright and early with my new mate Steph (YOU ROCK GIRL THANKS FOR ALL THE COMPANY!) and it was great to see Steve make such a great score and he always acknowledges the crowd which is great! We were sitting right next to where the players walk out from and you should have heard Mark Waugh when he went out he was so upset and was putting himself down poor guy! Oh I missed half the game too when Slats was sitting on the bench right next to us LoL I was too busy perving! I was so impressed with how Victoria played today go Mott and Arnberger damn that was great and I hope they keep it up tomorrow. NSW made such a big score I was worried but lets hope Victoria keep fighting! I almost had a big fight too with a loser in the crowd calling Slats an "Old has been!" Lucky Steph was there to calm me down otherwise it would have looked nasty! Anyway I could keep going on about my day at the cricket but I will leave it there! I will be at the game again tomorrow of course, I am not missing a day woohoo! GO VICTORIA AND SLATS OF COURSE!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:23 pm

Well he did score a double Century and is probably the batsman in the best form out of those not going to World Cup. So the journalists in the Herald Sun think. Other experts would disagee im sure

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:47 pm

JLC I said enough LoL

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:21 pm

The Bushrangers are 0/132 at stumps with Arnberger (70) and Mott (53) looking very comfortable.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:53 am

If this bloke can't get a World Cup game ...
By MICHAEL GLEESON
07feb03

THIS was not a man about to retire. Nor was it a man who should. This was the Australian captain saying he will be captain for some time yet.

Steve Waugh yesterday was as non-committal about his future as ever, but when the New South Wales skipper turned a solid century into a mighty double ton against Victoria on day two of the Pura Cup clash at the MCG he made his statement on the field.
And he did it in front of national selector Allan Border. Waugh will, and should, now lead Australia to the West Indies in April.

Yesterday, refusing to be satisfied with a century on a wicket full of runs, he showed he is as hungry as ever.

He also showed he is hitting the ball as well as ever. Waugh said on Wednesday night he wanted a big hundred and he got it - 211 not out, his fifth first-class double century and just five short of his highest first-class score.

He loves runs and he still knows how to make them. Cutting, driving - he even attempted a hook, but not until he was 181. In the first session on Wednesday he survived when he shouldn't have. Yesterday there was none of that ugliness.

Victorian captain Brad Hodge was left in little doubt the 37-year-old Test skipper should play on.

"When anyone makes 211 they played pretty well and he got 100 last week in a one-day game so he is hitting the ball very well," Hodge said.

Asked if it surprised him that Waugh was thinking of retiring Hodge replied: "It does the way he hit the cricket ball today, yeah."

This is also a man who has turned down lucrative offers to commentate in South Africa during the World Cup.

Chances are that Waugh, the traditionalist, would want to play out the season for NSW, but you might think that, were he planning to pull the pin, he might consider the Wanderers with a microphone in his hand a more attractive proposition than the MCG with a bat in his hands.

Unless, of course, his future plans still involve carrying a bat.

This was a dream batting wicket, but Waugh made Victoria hurt yesterday, big-time.

No one suffered more than debutant David Hussey, who after dropping Waugh on four would have died the death of a thousand cuts each time one of Waugh's 19 boundaries slipped over the ropes.

Eventually, the pain ended when the Blues declared at 8-544 for an early tea.

Victoria replied in perfect fashion to be 0-132 at stumps with Jason Arnberger on 73 and Matthew Mott 53.

The final-session effort was just what the Victorians needed and put them back into the contest. "I think there's a good chance for us actually - the wicket looks very good for batting," Hodge said.

To put the lifelessness of the wicket into perspective, NSW wicketkeeper Brad Haddin made his second first-class hundred in 123 balls; Nathan Bracken slapped 38 from 41; then NSW tried six different bowlers, including part-timers Simon Katich and Michael Clarke, in 24 overs of the Victorian innings.

The need to try something different to manufacture a wicket was earlier evidenced by Victoria's unusual approach of trying to annoy and frustrate Waugh in the first hour of play by using an 8-1 off-side field and pitching the ball short and wide.

"We just tried to nullify the scoring," Hodge said. "It worked for a fair while."

Hodge was left to joke about the poison chalice that captaincy has proven for him.

"This is the second time I have captained Victoria. (I did it) once before against England and we worked it out in total we have taken about 18 wickets for 1100 runs. It's not been a perfect start," he said.

Hodge said Victoria would target the 395 follow-on figure and then worry about whether to make the match a battle for first-innings points or try and manufacture an outright win.

With the Bushrangers four points clear of NSW on the Pura Cup table, they may be best served by trying to win on the first innings and denying NSW full points.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:24 am

Was this so called journalist actually at the game, m8? I was 2 thousand kms away and know that Matthew Inness bowled Tugga for 211. Usually that means a batsman is OUT.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:26 am

What a pity you chose to dwell on that point which was probably a typo anyway in the article yet chose two ignore the main message in the article....oh well

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:42 am

The Bushrangers are 0/186 after 64 overs.

Jason Arnberger is 91 and Matthew Mott is 80.

*JLC, It's just the first thing I noticed and it's hardly a typo when 'not out' is added. A typo is when someone puts Wrold for World. Lol.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:00 am

Upon further reading, I see that Waugh was dropped on 4 and the wicket turned into a 'featherbed'- after NSW lost 2 wickets in the first three overs, only 6 fell for 680 runs after that.

But the main aspect that makes that such a silly headline is that Steve is scoring lots of runs AFTER the WC squad was selected. He had very few one-day or Test runs at the time and the week the squad was selected, Maher hit a 'sparkling' 120 for Australia A.

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:10 am

At lunch, The Bushrangers are 0/208 with Arnberger having racked up another century. He's enjoying his best season.

Matthew Mott is on 92. Mott is making the best of this opportunity. He came in for the injured Matthew Elliott.

Donny.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:23 am

Come on Donny let go of the straws.

Waugh came in on this featherbed at 2-0

BTW maybe thats why Waugh chose to bat on ??

I think everyone realises that the selectors have made a mistake. Why be in self denial ??

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:01 am

The Vics are 1/256 with Mott on 123 and Graeme Rummans, 10.

Arny made 106 before being bowled by Katich. He and Mott put on 223 for the opening partnership.

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 07 February 2003).]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13   

Jump to: