Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ausies v. Windies - 4th. Test

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand McGrath being upset as he thought comments were made about his wife.

Im a bit disappointed if Steve Waugh called Lara a cheat though. As Steve Waugh has always been a player who has waited for an umpire to give him out before walking. In turn the opposition are entitled to do the same thing.

I still think the Aussies will win as the bowlers will be fresh and the Aussies know how to win and thats half the battle.

jlc

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:55 pm

Well. . . Im glad that one of us understands it : )Oh. Oh. . . . Im sorry
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 9:54 pm

JLC, What do you know that we don't ? Please tell.

I've re-read the previous articles and the closest I can find regarding what was said was, "McGrath swore aggressively at Sarwan in an apparent response to something that was said to him"

Have you been on the phone to Shep ? Please share your info about the convo between Tugga and Lara.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:26 am

Two maidens and then 1 run from the third which put Chanderpaul on strike to Lee.

Bang !! First ball is an edge to Gilly. Yesssssssssssssssss !! Gonnnnnnnnnnnne !! as the Phantom would say.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:27 am

What a fantastic win by the Windies.

Plenty will be written about this Test but let me be first to congratulate Omari Banks for his innings.

47 n.o. as a twenty year old to win a Test with a world record team score against the best team in the world.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 2:34 am

With no declarations in the match this was a true win to the Windies.

A great effort. A history making Test. Well played, West Indies.

Jermaine Lawson's excellent bowling in Australia's first innings set up this win. He ensured the Windies wouldn't have a deficit and an impossible total to chase.

He would be my selection as Player of the Match.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:08 am

Chiv Chanderpaul won Man of the Match and Ricky ponting took out Player of the series.

This win is of great value to the whole West Indies cricket scene and the team now has a wonderful focussing point, an inspirational victory of the highest calibre.

The result was also good for cricket in general and will give heart to the other countries as they look to defeat the Aussies in Test cricket.

Thanks to BJ, Greg, Ken, Assasin, Clokey and especially Mrs Tazza for sharing these Tests with me.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:12 am

Atleast the Windies can hold their heads up high that they won atleast 1 test match against Australia. Although they were clearly playing very badly at some points during all the tests. The only thing that soured the match was all the words that were said (although I haven't a clue what was said or what wasn't said)

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 9:04 am

MAGFAN8 wrote:
JLC, What do you know that we don't ? Please tell.

I've re-read the previous articles and the closest I can find regarding what was said was, "McGrath swore aggressively at Sarwan in an apparent response to something that was said to him"

Have you been on the phone to Shep ? Please share your info about the convo between Tugga and Lara.

Um well you can kind of tell what McGrath was saying if you look at his lips.....It appears that the word "wife" was mentioned and thats clearly what McGrath thought he heard. This is also what has been reported on most of the news stations so nothing earth shattering there. To get that sort of reaction from McGrath it must have been something pretty close to home.

I think it will all get resolved though as it was all pretty heat of the moment stuff and im sure Sarwan didn't mean it. Its probably more that, getting personal was the only comeback he had. Personally i think thats crossing the line as when you sledge you dont get personal. You can make fun of a players form and things like that but you dont bring his family etc into it.....lol lol

Well done to the Windies though on a great win. Aussies seems to lose the unloseable tests for some strange reason. However overall they had a great series.

jlc

Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:30 am

It looked as though on the news last night he said something along the lines of "If you mention my wife again, 'i'll knock your fu#@ing head off". If it's true i don't blame him for abusing shit out of him!
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 3:39 pm

Banks and Drakes seal historic three-wicket victory
Andrew Miller - 13 May 2003

Omari Banks and Vasbert Drakes propelled West Indies to a nerve-wracking three-wicket victory on the final morning in Antigua, as Australia's quest for an unprecedented clean sweep in the Caribbean came unstuck in the most thrilling fashion possible. Banks, who finished unbeaten on 47 in only his second Test, showed maturity beyond his 20 years, as he and Drakes overcame the early loss of Shivnarine Chanderpaul to knock off the 46 runs that remained of the highest fourth-innings chase in Test history.

After a fractious and utterly compelling final session on Monday, the atmosphere in the Antigua Recreation Ground was unrecognisable this morning. If the teams had been able to reach a conclusion last night, West Indies would surely have won at a canter, but with a chastened and reinvigorated Brett Lee and Jason Gillespie charging in with a newish ball, there were no foregone conclusions on offer.

Coming round the wicket, Lee straightened one on off stump, and Chanderpaul nibbled a catch through to Adam Gilchrist. He was gone for a magnificent 104, but like Sarwan before him, he appeared to have left the job uncompleted.

There are worse men to have coming in at No. 9 than Drakes, however. He and Banks drew the sting of Australia's assault with a calmness that was in stark contrast to the chewed fingernails in the stands and dressing-rooms. Drakes was greeted by a ferocious bouncer from Lee, then miscued an exocet from Gillespie into no-man's land behind the wicket, but in the eighth over of the day he flicked Lee for a much-needed boundary, and West Indies were up and running.

In the same over, Banks opened his account for the day, before finally connecting with one of his flowing cover-drives, to beat a floundering Andy Bichel to the rope. With 27 still needed for victory, Steve Waugh recalled Stuart MacGill, who had been subjected to a drubbing on Monday evening. Immediately Banks flashed MacGill through the grasping hands of Matthew Hayden in the gully, and Justin Langer was unable to prevent another boundary.

Then MacGill lobbed one into the slot, and Drakes hoofed it mightily over cow-corner for six – it was a decisive moment. In one blow, the crowd emerged from behind their metaphorical sofas, as the total passed 400 and the target ducked below 20 runs. Gillespie though wasn't finished, and nearly decapitated Drakes with another perfectly directed bouncer, but Drakes responded with a fortuitous inside-edge to the fine-leg boundary.

The teams took drinks with 11 runs still required, but when umpire Shepherd turned down MacGill's stone-dead lbw appeal against Drakes, Australia's last chance had gone. Banks slapped at a MacGill full-toss and edged down to fine leg for four, and it was left to Drakes to seal the win, with a spanking cut through point. West Indies had achieved the impossible – preserving their proud home record and breaking India's 27-year-old record, to complete an astonishing run-glut of a series, in which 17 centuries were scored in four Tests.

Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:10 am

Well done Windies on a great victory, hopefully this will spark a bit of a resurgeance in WI cricket.....One thing I would personally love to see.

Cheers

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:09 pm

YYAAAAAYYYYY! we finally got 1, i have to admit i was a bit worried after chanderpaul went out but KIP showed how good he is with the bat with youngster Banksi! We celebrated just asmuch as the windies did when he cut McGill for four! hopefully we bring this form into the 1dayers which have the patential to be very 1sided when u look at the bowling line up. We need Lawson to dominate for us to have a chance.

GO WINDIES! best of luck for the 1dayers

Nicholas 

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:42 pm

Jusr shows how the Aussies fare when more than one player challenges them. Lara is enough to trouble us on his own but when two or three perform we cannot handle it. That's why this team is not as great as people realise, we have been playing sub-standard opposition for a long time now. How would we go against Viv Richard's mob. I don't condone anything that was said about McGrath's wife, but he also must realise that he dishes it out so must cop it. It is all right to be sledging when things are on the up and you bully. Now he knows the flip side.
Nicholas 

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 6:46 pm

Jusr shows how the Aussies fare when more than one player challenges them. Lara is enough to trouble us on his own but when two or three perform we cannot handle it. That's why this team is not as great as people realise, we have been playing sub-standard opposition for a long time now. How would we go against Viv Richard's mob. I don't condone anything that was said about McGrath's wife, but he also must realise that he dishes it out so must cop it. It is all right to be sledging when things are on the up and you bully. Now he knows the flip side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: