Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Akhtar in Trouble Again ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:00 pm
Post subject: Akhtar in Trouble Again ?Reply with quote

Shoaib accused of ball-tampering again
Wisden CricInfo staff - 20 May 2003

Pakistan's fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar faces a possible ban if he is found guilty of ball-tampering during the sixth match of the Bank Alfalah Cup in Sri Lanka. Shoaib was hauled before the match referee, Gundappa Viswanath, on Tuesday night after television footage during Pakistan's 22-run win over New Zealand at Dambulla today suggested that he was trying to alter the condition of the ball.

Viswanath requested TV evidence after the match, and held an hourlong hearing with the match umpires Daryl Harper (Australia) and Peter Manuel (Sri Lanka) as well as the Pakistan team management. "The umpires advised me to view television clippings, believing that the condition of the ball may have been changed," said Viswanath. "I will make my decision tomorrow." That decision is expected at 1230 local time (0630 GMT) tomorrow.

The incident was brought to the attention of the third umpire, Gamini Silva, after the TV broadcaster showed close-up shots of Shoaib apparently scratching the quarter-seam of the ball. If found guilty of breaking Law 42.3, which refers to changing the condition of the match ball, he will be face a minimum four-match ban, as this would be his second offence inside the last 12 months.

This allegation is another controversial incident in Shoaib's career. As well as having endured scrutiny on his bowling action since the start of his international playing days, he recently faced a one-match suspension during Pakistan's tour of Zimbabwe before the World Cup for throwing a plastic bottle at spectators during a match.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. . . sounds interesting. . . Okay.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:38 pm

he'll be right, when i saw the topic name i thought he was chuckin again.
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:31 pm

Ball Tamperers tend to get off. Tendulkar a few years back was clearly lifting the seam with his fingernails and he got off.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 7:52 pm

Shoaib banned for two matches
Charlie Austin - 21 May 2003

Shoaib Akhtar has been fined 75% of his match fee and banned for two one-day internationals for ball-tampering. Akhtar was found guilty of changing the condition of the ball (Law 42.3) and breaching Level 2.10 of the ICC Code of Conduct for Players.

Shoaib was hauled before Gundappa Viswanath, the match referee, on Tuesday night after television footage showed him scratching the surface of the ball during Pakistan's 22-run victory over New Zealand.

"Tampering with the ball is contrary to the laws and the spirit of cricket," said Viswanath. "I consider this offence to be of a serious nature and the penalty imposed reflects this view.

"It is unfair to attempt to gain any advantage by altering the condition of the ball, apart from the traditional method of polishing, or the drying of a wet ball," added Viswanath. "Players are aware that they can clean the seam under the direct supervision of an umpire."

Shoaib, who pleaded not guilty, will miss the final of the Bank Alfalah Cup on Friday.

Shoaib was warned for ball-tampering during Pakistan's recent tour of Zimbabwe by Clive Lloyd and, later in the same tour, was banned for one match for throwing a bottle into the crowd.

Shoaib was dropped from the team after a poor World Cup, and was brought back for the triangular series in Sri Lanka only after being warned by Tauqir Zia, chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). Zia made it clear that Shoaib's behaviour would be scrutinised closely and any further misdemeanors would jeopardise his career.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
zoia Virgo

didak's number 1 fan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:18 pm

wat a load of crap he only got that coz a aussie was on the commitee
Nova Kaine Leo

Winners never quit, and quitters NEVER win.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:36 am

If he tampers with the ball, no matter what he should be banned, hopefully this is the start for others that do this to find their way to being banned for matches and fined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: