Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Sri Lanka v. Windies - ODIs

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:56 pm
Post subject: Sri Lanka v. Windies - ODIsReply with quote

Here we go! Should be a good contest.
-------------------------------

Atapattu retains captaincy for one-day series in West Indies
Charlie Austin - May 27, 2003

Marvan Atapattu has been retained as Sri Lanka's captain for the three-match one-day international series in the West Indies despite failing to take Sri Lanka to the final of triangular Bank Alfalah Cup.

Sri Lanka's early knockout ended a five year run in which they won every one-day series and tournament at home, but the four-man selection panel refused to hold Atapattu accountable, blaming the top-order batting instead.

"You can't judge a man on one series alone," said Lalith Kaluperuma, the chairman of selectors. "It was the batting that lost us the trophy. The top order just needs to regain its form."

The selectors, though, have lost their patience with Russel Arnold, who scored 13 runs in Sri Lanka's opening match before ferrying the drinks for the remainder of the tournament.

"Russel [Arnold] has been struggling for his form and we decided that it is best for him to regain it before returning to the national side," said Kaluperuma. "He will play in a three-day practice game next week and if he scores he will be considered for the Test team."

Naveed Nawaz, a 29-year-old left-hander who played the last of his three one-day internationals against India at The Oval in 2002, replaces Arnold.

Dinusha Fernando, a 23-year-old uncapped swing bowler, replaces Kaushalya Weeraratne, who played just one game in the recent tri-series.

Dilhara Fernando was not considered for selection after failing to recover from a lower-back injury, although the selectors hoped that he will have regained his fitness in time for the Test series.

Sri Lanka are due to play three one-day internationals, starting on June 7 at Barbados, followed by two Test matches. The squad for the Test series will be announced late next week.

Squad
Marvan Atapattu (capt), Sanath Jayasuriya, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardene, Romesh Kaluwitharana (wk), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Naveed Nawaz, Upul Chandana, Chaminda Vaas, Dharshana Gamage, Prabath Nissanka, Kaushal Lokuarachchi, Kumar Dharmasena, Muttiah Muralitharan, Dinusha Fernando.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmmm interesting, watch out for murali vs Lara, last time Lara faced up to the Sri Lankans he amassed 580 odd runs in 3 tests, so watch out Sri Lanka, althought, the srilankans won the series 3 nill. All close games thought.

I was wondering if there's anyway that i can view the games?? any advice because there not showing on Foxtel.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:33 am

Yes, m8. Go to the West Indies.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:37 am

Can you give me instructions?
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:29 pm

ok donny, you have to come with me though, i need someone to play those drums with me! lol
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 12:51 am

Sri Lanka win tour game easily
Wisden CricInfo staff - June 5, 2003

Sri Lanka 243 for 7 (Atapattu 99, Jayawardene 35) beat Shell Academy XI 128 (Muralitharan 3-5) by 115 runs

Sri Lanka won an easy tour game against the Shell Cricket Academy to begin their tour of West Indies in fine style. Leading from the front, Marvan Atapattu, Sri Lanka's one-day captain, made 99 and Muttiah Muralitharan returned figures of 3 for 5 as Sri Lanka won by 115 runs.

Atapattu won the toss and opted to bat, after which Sri Lanka made 243 for 7 in their 50 overs. Atapattu's 99 was the centerpiece of the innings, though worryingly, none of the other batsmen managed to convert their starts.

The Shell Academy batsmen were never up for the chase, and had no answers to Muralitharan. Five of Muralitharan's seven overs were maidens, and he stifled the Shell Academy batsmen completely in the middle overs, snuffing out all resistance.

Prabath Nissanka was the first to strike for Sri Lanka, getting rid of Kurt Wilkinson for just 5. Krishna Arjune (17) and Dwayne Bravo (12) showed some spunk in a 32-run stand, but Arjune was out with the score on 40, and three more wickets fell on 44.

After that, it was routine. Matthew Sinclair, the wicketkeeper, top-scored with 22, but the Shell Academy XI only managed to crawl to 128 for 9 in their 50 overs.

The quality of the opposition notwithstanding, it was a good start to a tour which doesn't allow much time for acclimatisation. The Cable & Wireless one-day series between Sri Lanka and West Indies starts this weekend.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 1:15 pm

West Indies start as favourites
Wisden Cricinfo staff - June 6, 2003

West Indies will be looking to consolidate on the gains from the Australian series when they clash against Sri Lanka in the first of three one-day internationals on Saturday. Despite a poor start to the Test and the one-dayers against Australia, West Indies ended both series on a positive note, winning the final Test and the last three ODIs.

Brian Lara was confident that West Indies would win the series if they maintained the same form they showed against Australia. "Sri Lanka are not as strong as Australia," he told reporters, "although of course they have a couple of match winners, but we are looking to keep up the standard we achieved in the last three one-day games.

"If we don't drop our standards, we're going to get more success against teams of lesser ability than Australia. We've proved that we can be competitive, but we've to maintain it. Now we know where we stand."

Sri Lanka, on the other hand, have suffered a slump in form since reaching the semi-final of the World Cup. They failed to qualify for the finals in two successive tournaments – at Sharjah in April, and then in the Bank Alfalah Cup at home last month, when Pakistan and New Zealand contested the final.

The captain-coach combination of Sanath Jayasuriya and Dav Whatmore was disturbed as well, with Jayasuriya stepping down from captaincy and Whatmore moving on to coach Bangladesh. Marvan Atapattu, who took over the reins from Jayasuriya, admitted that West Indies were favourites.

"They are playing at home and their morale is high. The West Indies are favourites, but it's better for us to start as underdogs," he said. "We are rebuilding our squad, but we'll play positive cricket." Atapattu would be encouraged by Sri Lanka's recent results against West Indies, though. West Indies have only won one out of their last four ODIs against Sri Lanka.

West Indies brought in fast bowler Darren Powell into their 15-man squad for the first two ODIs as a replacement for the injured Jermaine Lawson. Lawson is struggling to recover from the back injury he sustained during the Antigua Test against Australia. Allrounder Ryan Hurley was named in the squad after recovering from a shoulder injury.

The first two matches will be played at the Kensington Oval over the weekend, while the third will be held at St Vincent on June 11. The one-day series will be followed by two Test matches.

Squads
West Indies Brian Lara (capt), Ramnaresh Sarwan, Omari Banks, David Bernard Jr, Corey Collymore, Mervyn Dillon, Vasbert Drakes, Chris Gayle, Wavell Hinds, Ryan Hurley, Ridley Jacobs, Daren Powell, Ricardo Powell, Marlon Samuels, Devon Smith.

Sri Lanka Marvan Atapattu (capt), Mahela Jayawardene, Sanath Jayasuriya, Romesh Kaluwitharana, Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralitharan, Koushalya Lokuarachchi, Kumar Dharmasena, Prabath Nissanka, Upul Chandana, Darshana Gamage, Dinusha Fernando, Naveed Nawaz.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 11:21 pm

i just got home and im ready to listen to the online commentary! GO DA WINDIES!
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:10 am

i cant believe, after about an hour and a half of searching, i've finally found a westindian radio station and my parents are gone for the night so i can listen to the commentary for the whole night, I'm Bloody luvin this! GO THE WINDIES!!! just heard, lara has won the toss, they're not sure what his decision is yet!
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:14 am

Jon said that he didnt like Bethany.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:49 am

Lara won the toss and sent the sri lankans in , wicket in the first over, Jaysa is out for a duck! sri lanka are now, 9-1 in the third over.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:43 am

3-100 after 29, windies are on top with sri lanka unable to establish a decent partnership. drakes, dillion and collimore have been stedady without being on fire, i'd say windies are just ontop but sri lanka will probable make a total of around 220 if this continues.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:48 am

106-4 in the 28th over to be exact, another wicket, its jayawardena who popped it up in the air, to dillion off the bowling of wavel hinds, and as i speek there's just been a dropped catch.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:54 am

could be 5 fa. they have gone for the third umpire, for a runnout, im waiting for the decision right now, commentators are saying he's gone
the light hasnt come up yet, there still not sure......... if he is out, then sri lanka will be in very very big trouble. great fielding by wavel hinds, still, nobody knows if its out yet, its extreamly close.............. OUT!!

112-5 after arounr 29-30 overs. drinks has been called with the windies ontop.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:16 pm

Clokey ! What's he doing ? They weren't playing the tired old Aussies !!

Lara starts well by winning the toss but sends Sri Lanka in and when they chase, he bats at 5 !! Did he forget they had a fresh team containing such quality bowlers as Vaas and Muralitharan ?

The Windies bowlers did well to dismiss the visitors for 201 in 48.4 overs. Dillon lead the way with 3/39. Samuels' 1/31 from 10 was a good effort. Kaluwitharana scored 54 and Dharmasena added 40 at number 7.

Gayle (0), Hinds (0), Powell and Sarwan were bundled out in 5.2 overs by Vaas (2/16) and Nissanka (2/27) with only 19 on the board. Why Lara batted at 5 is baffling. He and Samuels had to dig in to stop the rot.

They put on 54 in 15 overs but when Nayanakantha got Samuels for 29, Murali pounced. He ran through the tail to capture 3/17 from 7 overs. All over in 41 overs with Lara stranded on 64 and his team 55 runs short.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: