Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Darren Gough Retires from Test Cricket

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
I@n S 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:15 pm
Post subject: Darren Gough Retires from Test CricketReply with quote

Darren Gough has retired from Test cricket after admitting he has struggled on his return from injury. This is a shame because he's been one of my favorite players. But I'm sure he'll continue to do well like he has already in ODI's against South Africa.

More information of Goughes retirement from test cricket in the link below.

http://msn.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1099309,00.html
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 11:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from all the gossip on the radio rhis morning, it comes as no great shock. Was a pretty good bowler in his prime, but not too many folks come back from three knee ops.
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Gough retires from Tests
Wisden CricInfo staff - August 5, 2003

Darren Gough has announced his retirement from Test cricket, following his brave but ultimately futile attempt to re-establish himself following a chronic knee injury last year. Gough, who made his Test debut in 1994, finishes with 229 wickets at 28.39, putting him in eighth place on the all-time list of England wicket-takers. He will, however, remain available to represent the England one-day team.

"I've come to a decision to retire from Test cricket," said Gough, " due to the injury sustained playing for England in New Zealand, and three operations later, the subsequent rehab to get back to Test cricket to prove myself and to other people that I could give Test cricket a go one more time.

"Every day is a hard one and my career is based on being a strike bowler and being the one the captain always turned to in time of need," added Gough. "But I've found the last two matches hard going both mentally and physically - not just on playing days but also against the backdrop of the effort I've put in over the last eight months to get back to this stage. It has become apparent to me, no matter what my heart, head or public want me to do, that my knee will not allow me to play Test Match cricket.

"Obviously I'm sad, but I think every player knows when it's time to step down and I feel in order for me to concentrate on my dream of one-day cricket and possibly another World Cup for England and trying to help Yorkshire move forward, I feel I have to retire from Test cricket.

"Thanks to England for giving me the chance to play Test cricket again, thanks to Wayne Morton, Steve Oldham and Scott McCallister for their phenomenal support. Thanks to Colin Graves and Yorkshire CCC and finally the public, I hope they don't feel that, after 229 Test wickets and a body in bits, I've let them down.

"I hope I've served England well but as you look around there are some very good bowlers all waiting for a chance and good luck to them. I'm a cricket supporter and I will be supporting them."

"To battle back from a serious knee injury to represent England again this summer showed tremendous courage. His talent as a fast bowler, his effervescent character and his huge desire to do well for his country will be sorely missed, not only by the England dressing-room but by cricket supporters everywhere."

Gough Test Match record - 58 matches

Batting & Fielding
I NO Runs HS Ave SR 100 50 Catches
86 18 855 65 12.57 43.46 0 2 13

Bowling
O M Runs Wkts Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
1970.1 369 6503 229 28.39 6-42 9 0 51.6 3.30

England Test Match bowlers (most wickets)

1. I.T. Botham 383 wickets
2. R.G.D. Willis 325
3. F.S. Trueman 307
4. D.L. Underwood 297
5. J. B. Statham 252
6. A. V. Bedser 236
7. A.R. Caddick 234
8. D. Gough 229
9. J. A. Snow 202
10. J. C. Laker 193

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: