Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The end of Windies cricket ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 8:23 pm
Post subject: The end of Windies cricket ??Reply with quote

Dunno if this made the press in Oz, but its and interesting idea to say the least...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,426-771644,00.html

RODNEY MARSH, who runs the National Academy and who is now an England selector, has suggested a two divisional Test match championship that would be feasible, he feels, if West Indies was split up into representative islands or regions. Most, if not all, of these would be stronger than Zimbabwe and Bangladesh, or countries such as Namibia and Canada, who took part in the World Cup.
“This could also benefit them politically,” Marsh said. West Indies exists only in a cricketing sense and there have long been inter-island differences on account of separate governments, cultures and history. People tend to remain in their own environment. Captains such as Frank Worrell and Clive Lloyd were adept at uniting their cricketers but there have always been politicians in the region who are keen to further their own interests.

In 1966, Barbados, who then fielded several exceptional players, staged a match against a Rest of the World XI that was criticised for creating disunity in West Indies cricket. Marsh believes that there is still sufficient strength within the various islands to extend the World Test Championship, as introduced by the ICC, which met this week to discuss “The Structure of Cricket”. A spokesman said that there were no plans to split up West Indies into representative sides.

Pretty sure they competed as individual nations in the cricket comp at the 98 comm games, recall Richie Richardson playing for Antigua, and Barbados and Jamaica there as well.
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1996 Com Games England didn't play cos their Welsh players couldn't play for England so why doesn't Marsh do the same over there. Make England and Wales seperate teams.

Bet he wouldn't be so keen on the idea. Then again England should be in a lower division playing the weaker teams of cricket.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:55 pm

Interesting, Dave.

I'd like to hear other opinions from some of the regulars (esp. couragous cloke Lol) and newer regulars - commonwombat, piedys, tazza2000, Joe, Ev5Magpies, labrooy etc.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:10 pm

With realation to the England/Wales matter. One Welsh county, Glamorgan, plays in the English County championship. The actual Welsh make-up of their sides in recent years may be a matter of conjecture.
I believe that Scotland and Ireland have and may still do participate in some of the domestic limited over comps along with the minor counties.

Scotland has been given matches against touring sides but weather is not ideal for cricket. Scotland has produced talented cricketers, even to Test level, the most prominent of recent decades was Mike Denness who capt England in 74-75.

The West Indies really are a basket case. Cricket is the one unifying issue and political union was tried late 50's-60's but fell apart. Essentially they are a mass of small island nations (plus the Sth American mainland state of Guyana), most of which are economic basket cases. The Caribbean was once mainly under British influence but with it's decline, the US has greater influence

Even the migration from the Caribbean has moved more to the US and Canada. Curtly Ambrose was probably the last tall Caribbean athlete to turn down a US college basketball scholarship to pursue cricket. The W.I will certainly still produce some talented players but the games fundamentals are sick.

Even in the good years, their board was short of money and players increasingly required to play professionally elsewhere and their intl side hawked agressively around the world to generate revenue.

Joe 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:27 pm
Post subject: What All That AboutReply with quote

commonwombat wrote:

The West Indies really are a basket case.

Dear furry wombat could you please go back into your burrow or cave that you came from please.The Windie team of the eighties would absolutely destroy this current Australian side.They are having problems and they may or may not be solved .
I cant decide on having just read that article.But please never forget my furry friend The West Indies Team are The Greatest team to ever play the game.
Lest we forget.

Last edited by Joe on Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:03 pm

Joe,

They WERE an almighty team, indisputably one of the greatest ever and may even agree with you about them probably rolling the current Aussies.

However, my abusive friend, you are dealing with the past and we are discussing now and the future. The replacements for their great players, with only a couple of exceptions, proved to be only good or very good players.

Re their economic problems. Have you been to the Caribbean, Joe, I think not. With the exception of Jamaica andTrinidad, the islands are too small and short on resources that they have to rely on tourism for any revenue. By and large the best prospect for a talented West Indian in any field is to emigrate.

I have no objection to you disagreeing with me but were the condescension and abuse necessary. Frankly you failed to counter my argument in any shape or form and suggest that you may avail yourself of some facts on a topic before slagging me off. I'm not a world authority on W.I cricket and don't claim to be but do have some knowledge and have actually been there.

Good night, Joe

Last edited by commonwombat on Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Joe 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:28 pm

Dear Wombat I have no axe to grind with you.
Your point about abuse is rather uncalled for.
If you call yourself a wombat then you must surely expect people to make comments in relation to your natural habitat.
I have no interest in counteracting your agument but rather I wanted to deliberately take you out of context so that I could glorify the greatest team ever.
A good politician and or reporter takes everything out of context.
No flying of fur intended.
If they have been brilliant once the West Indies can be brilliant again.
Never ever write anybody or anything off as was done with the Brisbane Hairs this year.
Go Windies.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:36 pm

Hey Wombat thingy dude... The Windies are on the rise mate, if u actually knew anything about the team u would notice that they will be a force soon... VERY soon. They have the best player in the world- Brian Lara Smile Talented and young batsmen such as Ronnie Sarwan, Ricardo Powel, Marlon Samuels, Wavel Hinds, Carlton Bough and Amari Banks

Experienced players such as Shiv Chanderpaul, Merv Dillion Riddley Jacobs and the great line and length of Vaspert Drakes...

The westindies have the second best batting line up in the world according to Many Experienced, respected Cricket names...

they May not have a very good bowling line up but they are working hard on bringin up the young players... Watch out for Jerimine Lawson..

Windies are on the rise! Laugh all u want my good friends, they will be a force again!

P.S Lara will break Hayden's score... Smile

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:46 pm

Jerimine Lawson ?? Watch out for Jermy ?

Yes, you opposing batsman had better keep an eye on him when he's fielding on the boundary as he has a powerful throw - just watch him bowl. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 9:47 pm

and u say the resources are down???

Wat the Fudge would u know about that?? My neighbours actually went to the westindies to see them take on the aussies earlier on this year and would completely disagree with those comments...

Success brings, publicity and crowds, Any intellegent Wombat would know that... Success is coming around the corner, and so will Popularity and interest.

The Carribean will prove u wrong, im a windies fan and i actually know how things are opperating, ala, selections, change of attitude Etc..

Gets some facts and figures and then u can critisise

commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:14 pm

No probs Joe, just the comment re crawling down one's burrow or back under a rock can read somewhat negatively.

C.C. You raise a few interesting points but may I reply.

Firstly, the Windies have not played together as a cohesive force since the golden days of Clive LLoyd and Viv Richards. Evidence the constant turnover in the captaincy over last decade with Richardson, Lara, Adams, Hooper and Walsh doing turns but generally not safe in the post.

Secondly, I will agree there is talent in the current line-up. However a general consensus would agree that the only legitimate greats to play for W.I over the last decade have been the now retired Ambrose and Walsh along with yr man Lara. Would not dispute Lara's quality but CC, even you must acknowledge that his appearances and performances have been spasmodic since his record setting days.

Your assertion about their batting has some merit but the performances of many you have named have lacked the necessary consistency namely the openers and Powell. Chanderpaul and Sarwan are undoubtably quality but have been frequently absent due to injury or unspecified.

Jacobs is without doubt a class keeper and reliable bat, and woulf be their best since Jeff Dujon. Honestly CC, since Ambrose and Walsh collected their superannuation, their bowling has been unimpressive and you can't win matches if you're not bowling sides out. Dillon has been the best but he has not ever shown that he's another Ambrose. Lawson could be good but he'll need good support or he'll be bowled into the ground.

You mentioned Drakes. He's now a veteren. Why he was overlooked for so long, ask W.I selectors. He did spend many seasons in the Sth African domestic comp.

There CC, I think I have SOME handle on the current side. It would be great to see the Windies back as a power, but frankly the greats or even top quality players are not being produced in any number and the conditions back home aren't helping.

Joe 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:15 pm

It is only a matter of time and the wombat and all that doubt the Windies will have to roll over.The day is coming like a thief in the night and the windies will return to the former glory.The egg timer is running out and look out any that will dare stand on the same field as the Calypso Kings.
Viv and Joel simply the best.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:19 pm

Hmm. . . I guess that makes sense. . .
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:36 pm

First of all your comments on Lara...

Quote:
Would not dispute Lara's quality but CC, even you must acknowledge that his appearances and performances have been spasmodic since his record setting days.

Wtf? if u take a look at his recent stats, His Average has rised a considerable amount... He had 1 of the best Series in Sri Lanka where he scored more than 350 runs in 3 tests averaging over 80...

Played very well Against australia and every1 witnessed the great battles with Brett Lee which he amazingly provailed... his ability to dominate any spinner and put them on the back foot...

If anything he is in Close to career best form... please explain those comments with sum stats etc

Secondly i admit your right that they have had MANY problems in the past few years, with the tour to South Africa, Australia etc but thats a "few years ago" u told Joe to stop talking about the past and thats exactly what your doing!

we have a steady captain in a Changed brian Lara.. who has completely changed his attitude in an interview i read with him.

We're not screwing around any more... Westindies is currently on the rise, 99-00 is the past wombat, look at the present.

thirdly.. there's 1 thing i disagree with u on, and thats Ridley Jacobs, my personal opinion is that he's finished, We have a Fantastic young keeper Carlton Bough that SHOULD take over him now so he can get some experience under the belt.

I agree with u on Vaspert, but SIR... ur not looking at the present, the west indies have straightened out, and are on the rise.

Joe 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:42 pm

London Dave I am shattered that you would actually post such a thread insinuating the demise of the greatest cricket team in the world.Why dont we get rid of the pies as well.What is this a monty python sketch.
Yes it is.
no it is not.
Yes it is.
No it is not.
You can save the wombat but please by the sounds of this someone save the West indies.
Words fail me on this occasion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: