Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The end of Windies cricket ??

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 10:51 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

couldnt of said it better Joe...

Wat a joke.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:01 pm

So, we have a Life of Bwian topic. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Joe, did you pay for that argument with yourself ?

I know you two still think the Windies are the present day Jabberwocky but lookout, the Banger bois will beat England and come searching for the Holy Grail in the Caribbean.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:05 pm

jabberwocky????
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:13 pm

What's a Jabberwocky ??

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;

All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.

That's a bit like a Jabberwocky.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:14 pm

What made it so brillig and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves And the mome raths outgrabe
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:14 pm

ahhhh that explains it.... Rolling Eyes lol
tazza2000 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 1:24 pm

The current Windies team is significantly weaker than that of the 80's no one can dispute that. While they are no longer a international force they still do have the ability to unexpectedly win matches.

As far as I'm concerned Lara is holding the team together and they desperatly need to find someone of his calibre to become a force once again.
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:39 pm

yes tazza no1 is disputing the fact that the windies are no where near asgood as the windies of the 80's!

And as for Lara "holding up the team" u obviously dont read into cricket too much or no nothing about the west indies team.

I suppose everyones Entitled to their own opinion Rolling Eyes

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 2:58 pm

The next year will tell us a lot about Windies cricket. Well, at least about how they're gelling as a team behind Charlie Lara.

They gave solid glimpses of their potential towards the end of the Aussies' tour, culminating in a fantastic, historic, Test win.

Stacks of talent in the batting top six and as Clokey points out, Carlton Baugh and Omari Banks can really handle the bat as well, at 7 & 8. Then of course there's the man with the spectacular facial features and the equally impressive name, Vaspert Drakes.

Add two good quicks to that mix and there's a pretty good team. Those quicks could be Lawson (when he learns to straighten his arm) and Best with Merv Dillon still with something to give.

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:04 pm

the next 2 months will prove alot... we play 2 tests and 5 ODI's against Zimbabwe, play 4 tests and 7 ODI's against South Africa and Then go back to our home Turf to Take on England in 4 tests and 7 ODI's...

WATCH OUT!

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:29 pm

Lara: Time for West Indies to perform overseas

Wisden Cricinfo staff

As the West Indies squad assembled in Antigua to begin their five-day preparation before starting series in Zimbabwe and South Africa, Brian Lara spoke to the media about the need for his side to end their recent poor overseas record.

"We have to go down there and make sure we take command of a very tough tour," explained Lara. "They are good teams. We know that they are playing at home and we are playing away. We have got to muster up everything collective to ensure we do well in South Africa.

"We have been at the bottom for some time. They [the side] tasted success against Australia and Sri Lanka; the feeling of been successful; of creating history that they seem to want to cling onto."

Lara said that while West Indies' batting had been good, the side's weakness had been the inability to bowl opponents out twice. "It is something we will have to address. It is all well and good to score 500-600 runs but if you can't get the opposition out you are not going to win any Test match."

Although the selectors have chosen a battery of fast bowlers for the trip, Lara dismissed suggestions that they were trying to recapture the approach which served West Indies so well in the late 1970s and 1980s. "I'm not going to say that we are leaning towards four fast bowlers in a Test match but definitely we are going to give the guys who we think are possible stars that opportunity," he said. "We have been known for four fast bowlers and we are going to exploit that. It would be great to have a good spinner … but unless that comes about you best stick with what you know."

Lara hinted that promising youngsters would be given every chance to prove themselves. "I think the opportunity is there for anyone who really wants to represent West Indies cricket and anyone who shows that they have the character to do so."

couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:05 pm

hava read wombat?
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:39 pm
Post subject: the wombatReply with quote

couragous cloke wrote:
hava read wombat?

CC,
Don't antagonise him, refencing ain't cheap. Wink
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:27 pm

I jus dont see he's argument... and i wouldnt mind a response after being proven wrong several times Very Happy
commonwombat Sagittarius

commonwombat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:50 pm

Mr Courageous,

I find it regrettable that you take the attitude that you have. As for not seeing my argument, perhaps it may be a case of being so absorbed in your own viewpoint that you refuse to acknowledge any other. I see no particular reason to get aggressive so let's see if we can get some common ground.

Will give ground to you happily with yr mastery of current WI stats, but for real analysis purpose shouldn't they be examined over a somewhat longer period, a few years as a more accurate guage of a player home and away against varied opposition.

Agree, the current WI side is considerably more competitive that for many years. With the batting, the current crop is the most talented since the nineties. Have seen those you have named namely Sarwan, Powell, Hinds and Samuels and will not dispute their talent but have any of these achieved the necessary consistency over an extended period??

Would still argue that the cornerstones of their batting are Lara and Chanderpaul, who have spent extended periods away for whatever reasons. That they may be back consistently and firing is good for WI cricket and may it last.

Surely you can acknowledge that you really aren't going to win many games without bowling oppositions out and frankly their bowling depth is not there. Dillon is an intl class bowler, agreed but there is little else. Drakes has limited future and Lawson has to be a question mark re his action. Hope he does return, but isn't on the African tour for which the bowling line-up looks thin.

What does Lara's comment essentailly say?? There are promising signs but they have to perform consistently and away from home, that they have to keep addressing the bowling question and that they will continue to give their youth an opportunity. Not something that I disagree with.

Whereas you believe that the Windoes are back on the rise, I am far more sceptical. This appears to be a more talented generation of WI cricketers and their intl performances will hopefully show that although I contend that the depth may still be shallow.

My real question is the future of WI cricket. You made some very shallow comment re revenue that I will try not to ridicule. For a person who claims to be in touch with WI cricket. it appears yr knowledge of its admin is negligible.

Whilst they have frequently been disunified on field, thats been nothing compared to their board, which has came under the corruption cloud from time to time. They have been perenially short of cash and without the revenue where is the money to come from to fund the necessary development work. Several well intentioned schemes invloving ex players have gone belly up due to funding and bureaucracy.

Fact, the long term match sponsor, Cable and Wireless, was not particularly willing when it came to contract renewal in the past year. Am not certain of how this was resolved but it's not a positive sign. Fact number 2, you bravely state that revenue will come from bums on seats at matches. Sorry but no cigar.

The capacity of WI test grounds are close to the smallest in Intl cricket. Queens Pk Oval Pt of Spain is the largest @20-25 thou, the others like Sabina Pk, Kensington Oval, Bourda and the Rec Ground would be in the 10-15 thou max. This is not commenting on the condition of these grounds either, and the other first class grounds are in worse state. Questions must arise about hosting 2007 WC. Realistically crowds aren't going to provide a majic economic fix.

Fact is the West Indies is an economically depressed region with unemployment across region generally 20-25% with most economies reliant on tourism. Where is the money going to come from to keep the game in any resmblance of health let alone fund the development needed for players to come through?? Please answer that, Mr Courageous Cloke.

I admire yr dedication and obvious love of WI cricket and must of course bow to yr superior grasp of latest cricket stats. I have based my views on 3 trips, pleasure and business, through the Caribbean and 30 years invlovement with cricket, be it as player, umpire and fan. Let's at least keep it civilised in future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: