Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Aussie tour toughens Bangers.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:43 am
Post subject: Aussie tour toughens Bangers.Reply with quote

Javed Omar: Australia tour the key
Wisden CricInfo staff - August 28, 2003

Javed Omar, who became the fourth Bangladeshi batsman to reach a Test century during the second day's play against Pakistan at Peshawar, has credited his side's improved performance to their arduous tour of Australia in July and August.

The series in Australia had been billed as the ultimate mismatch, with some pundits predicting a Bangladeshi Test defeat inside a day. But, under the astute guidance of their new coach, Dav Whatmore, Bangladesh earned the respect of the Australians, and have carried that new-found belief into the current series.

"The Australian tour helped us a lot," said Omar, whose 119 was the highest score of his first-class career. "After playing Australian bowling in Australian conditions we have felt it easy to play Pakistani bowlers. I am more happy because this is my first hundred and it's a bit disappointing that we got derailed due to some excellent bowling by Shoaib Akhtar."

Omar's dismissal triggered a familiar batting collapse from Bangladesh, as Shoaib wrapped up the innings with five wickets for nine runs in a searing five-over spell. But as Omar and the rest of his team have learned, no batsman can afford to fear fast bowlers such as Shoaib in Tests.

"At this level if you fear you are nowhere," said Omar, who struggled in the Australian Tests with scores of 5, 5, 26 and 8. "I stayed at the wicket longer than my scores suggest but couldn't make big scores. But now I am happy I have done more for the team."

"The credit of this improved show also goes to our coach [Dav] Whatmore," added Omar. "He guides us in the best possible manner." Whatmore transformed Sri Lanka's fortunes in the early 1990s, and eventually guided them to World Cup glory in 1995-96. He took over as Bangladesh's coach after parting with Sri Lanka at the end of the 2003 tournament.

Athar Ali Khan, a fellow Bangladeshi opener and currently a selector, praised Omar's temperament. "It is the basic quality needed in an opener. I remember opening with him and he was never bothered about the score, he just wanted to stay as long as possible."

In his first Test in April 2001, Omar carried his bat for an unbeaten 85 against Zimbabwe at Bulawayo, an effort Omar still considers superior. "I think my innings against Zimbabwe was under demanding conditions and was better because I was struggling at that time."

The conditions were certainly a bone of contention for Shoaib, whose figures were achieved in the most hostile of conditions for a fast bowler. "The wicket is dead," he said. "There is absolutely nothing in it for the bowlers and I took wickets just because of my sheer speed. But the wickets in Pakistan are always like that - even Imran Khan used to complain about it.

"Something should be done to make sporting tracks," added Shoaib, who was playing county cricket for Durham until recently. "The conditions are in total contrast to England where the weather is cold and I could bowl a 12-over spell at a stretch. Here is is difficult to even bowl three overs."

But Shoaib warned that he had more work ahead of him. "I think it's only half a job done. I hope to come back with the same performance in the second innings and help Pakistan to win the match and the series."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: