Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Karrie storms to victory !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:59 am
Post subject: Karrie storms to victory !!Reply with quote

Webb marches to LPGA win
September 8, 2003

AUSTRALIA'S Karrie Webb stormed to a nine-stroke triumph at the one million dollar LPGA Tulsa tournament Sunday, shooting a 4-under-par 66 for her 29th tour victory.

"No, it definitely wasn't that easy," said Webb, a two-time Player of the Year who has been relegated to the shadows after Annika Sorenstam emerged as the superstar of women's golf.

Mired in what she described as the worst season of her eight-year career, Webb pulled away from the field for the most lopsided win since Sorenstam matched an LPGA 54-hole record with an 11-stroke triumph at the Kellogg Keebler Classic in June 2002.

"It was nice to walk down the last hole with such a big lead and not have to worry about how I played the hole," said Webb. "Today's round and Friday's round were very similar. But (Saturday) was a hard day."

The 28-year-old Australian led from wire-to-wire after opening with a 65 at the Tulsa Country Club.

She survived Saturday's 1-under 69 and was the only player in the field to post three rounds in the 60s.

"It's not so much winning by nine but just that I played well enough to win," Webb said.

"I guess it's just a sense of relief, and I'm proud because it's not been the easiest of years for me, although it's not like it's been the hardest year ever or anything."

Webb had every right to be used to winning. She took the LPGA by storm in 1996, claiming four titles en route to rookie of the year honours.

She recorded at least two victories each season until this one, when her best finish had been a tie for second in May.

While this was Webb's best finish this season, the runner-up showing was the worst in three weeks for Taiwan's Candie Kung.

Coming off consecutive wins, she signed for a 67 that left her tied with 2000 rookie of the year Dorothy Delasin, Jamie Hullett and Tammie Green at 1-under 209.

AAP

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Webb smashes losing streak
September 8, 2003

AUSTRALIA'S Karrie Webb snapped the longest title drought of her career in stunning style with a nine stroke victory in the LPGA Tour event in Tulsa, Oklahoma today.

Winless for 13 months, Webb shot a closing four-under-par 66 to win with a 10-under 200 total.

Four players tied for a distant second place at one under – Dorothy Delasin, Candie Kung, Tammie Green and Jamie Hullett.

It was former world No.1 Webb's 29th LPGA title and her first since the 2002 British Open in August last year.

AAP

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Northern Pie 

We are watching!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I reakon Carrie would have done much better the Annika if she had been given the chance against the fella's....fair enough Annika has been good of late but consistently Carrie is by far the better player ofr alonger period of time...A bit of Nthan Buckley there really....SO consistent for so long that people often forget just how good they are and leave them out of events that they so richly deserve (hmmm All Australian tema tonight...I wonder.....)

Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: