Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Farewell Alec - Well played.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:41 am
Post subject: Farewell Alec - Well played.Reply with quote

Stewart set to quit all cricket
From correspondents in London
September 15, 2003

FORMER England captain Alec Stewart has said he is ready to retire from all first-class cricket.

The 40-year-old Surrey wicket-keeper batsman played the last of his England record 133 Tests in Monday's nine-wicket win over South Africa at his Oval home ground.

There had been speculation that the Stewart might play one more season for Surrey where he made his first-class debut back in 1981.

But he told British Sunday tabloid the News of the World: "I'll be available for the game against Essex on Wednesday but as we can't win the title I don't think there's any point in playing.

"I think I've played my last game of professional cricket. I'm 99 per cent certain I'm finishing.

"I'm not that sentimental. I said my goodbyes to The Oval crowd during the South Africa Test and that couldn't have gone any better.

"If Surrey had still been in the hunt for the championship, it would have been different. But there's no point just turning up to play for the sake of it. I've always striven to get to the top, i.e. England. Once that has gone, why are you playing?"

Stewart, who like his father Micky captained Surrey, ended his Test career as England's second highest run scorer behind Graham Gooch with a tally of 8463 runs at 39.54 with 15 hundreds.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 1:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see him go, he was a very good player for England, wish him all the best for life after cricket.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
couragous cloke Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:20 pm

1 of my favourites that bloke. all the best alec.
Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:32 pm

I don't think it is a exageration to say that Alec Sterwart has been England's best player since Ian Botham. Averaging 40 over 130 tests and also doing an excellent job with the gloves. With the exception of Adam Gilchrist who is just a freak, Stewart I think as allround wicketkeeper batsman is perhaps the best we have seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: