Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Punter has say on Warne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:40 am
Post subject: Punter has say on WarneReply with quote

Ponting admits annoyance over Warne's drug use
Wisden CricInfo Staff - September 23, 2003

Shane Warne's use of a banned drug left his World Cup captain Ricky Ponting annoyed. Common sense demanded that players always check any medication they take, he said in his recently-published World Cup diary.

Ponting said the Australians have a lecture on drugs every year and as a result he was aware of the issues and checked any drugs before he took them. "That is common sense, and for Warney, who has been playing international cricket for over a decade, to ignore that approach is just madness," he said.

Not surprisingly, given the campaign he was about to embark on in defence of the World Cup, Ponting said he was upset that the controversy came up when it did in South Africa.

"I think there was plenty of shock in the room already," the one-day captain wrote. "But to then see the greatest bowler in Australian cricket so distressed in front of us all was as sobering a sight as you could ever wish to see.

"The room was reduced to complete silence, an awkward silence, as Warney tried to regain his composure and finish what he was saying."

Ponting said Warne was more composed when he addressed his teammates again later that night, telling them: "You are a better team than just one person, and even though I am going to go home, you can and will win the World Cup without me." Ponting wrote: "Whatever you might think of Warney, it took a lot of guts and quality for him to stand up, admit what he had done and wave goodbye to his dream of one last crack at the World Cup."

However, Ponting did say that he was looking forward to having the world's finest legspinner back in his armoury when his 12-month suspension for using a banned diuretic ends on February 10. "He's a great player and I really hope I get to play some more cricket with him."

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Sultan of spin Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 4:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Warney will be back don't worry about that, McGill is a dud and difinitely no substitute for the great man
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: