Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#1 Leon Davis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leon is #1 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

he is also we he is in great touch 1 of if not the most xciting player @ collingwood!
LEON IS #1
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:52 pm

If we had a full ist injury free, Leon would get a game. Leon going on the ball this year was interesting. Leon will be at Collingwood next year, why? Because he is one of the few that can play.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:17 pm

magpie greg wrote:
MagpieDynasty wrote:
Psychosis wrote:
I like Leon Davis, although I believe he is in the Collingwood side for more than his football abililty alone. If you look at the bigger picture u will know what I'm talkin' about. Personally, I think its a good thing.

Surely you jest Psychosis...Does this opinion extend to the rest of our indigenous listed players. Would you care to elaborate further on "the bigger picture" statement, I am intrigued. Smile

Malthouse said last year he would always pick Leon whether playing well or not because it was good for his community.

Magpie Greg is on the right track but he has distorted the truth.

A few years ago I visited North Western Australia and some of the more remote aboriginal communities. On one particular occasion i came across a bunch of aboriginal youngster wearing their collingwood gear and attempting to kick goals from impossible angles. At first i though they were yelling 'Magic Daicos' but in fact it was 'Magic Davis', and they were doing the whole finger wiggling exercise, trying to be their hero Leon.

Now, MM did say a couple of years ago that Leon Davis the player had brought exceptional positives in regard to aboriginal/collingwood relations. (McAllister anyone?) Seeing this kids in action I would have to agree. I realise that collingwood had/has other indiginous players ie Ahmat/Cole but they don't quite have that charisma that oozes from Leon.

Personally I believe Leon Davis deserves his spot based on what he has shown as a footballer, however it does make you wonder.....
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:26 pm

whatever u say pops Rolling Eyes
Miz 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:50 pm

Never seen that article before Greg but it does answer a few questions regarding Leon's selection over the years when there have been better options.

Whether Leon should be in a full strength Collingwood outfit or not I think this ridiculous train of thought from Malthouse strengthens the argument that he is not worthy of the job.

The South African cricket team now has a quota of colored players in the team and they have gone from being the best in the world to duds in the space of 5 years, our politicians go out looking specifically for women and end up with no-hopers like Carmen "Amnesia" Lawrence, picking your best side without playing politics is what the Collingwood members would expect and Malthouse has betrayed us.
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:04 pm

It's certainly more ammunition for the 'Mick plays favourites campaign' isn't it. It can't be good for the spirit in the joint when it seems so obvious that certain players are marked harder & easier than others.

In saying that though, I would love to see Leon unleashed permanently in the midfield, where his pace and delivery are just what we need. Why it's taken 5 years for this to happen though remains another of Micks's mysteries.

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:00 pm

You are sad <snip BBMODS>Magpie Greg....

This is what u said: Malthouse said last year he would always pick Leon whether playing well or not because it was good for his community.

As opposed to the article: Malthouse said he was keen to play Davis because of his race.

NO WHERE in the article Mick says he would pick Leon PLAYING WELL OR NOT.

Nice try old man. Go dust off those LP's.
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:18 am

leon davis is a good player. I highly doubt he is going to be a champion or improve but. He will always be inconsistent but he's the sort of player that you want in your team because he can kick the odd miracle goal or do the odd good thing even if his match has been poor. Exactly like stephen milne.

Milne makes a lot of mistakes, but when he's on saints are hard to beat. Leon will always be an impact player, nothing else.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 9:26 am

Neon Leon. He looked good at the start of the year, but after his injury has been all but forgotton about. Should be back next week. He has until round 22, as heads are bound to roll soon...
Piepark 

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:44 am

If MM doesn't pick players based on anything other than form and ability what the hell does the following mean?

- Michael Malthouse says his faith in erratic forward Leon Davis is based on broad appeal, including his Aboriginality

- Malthouse said he was keen to play Davis because of his race.

- "I think he's achieved so much and I'm prepared to stick with that to make sure the relationship between the Aboriginal community and the Collingwood community is strong".

I know Collingwood pride themselves on many things off the field which includes sponsership, xmas lunches and the list goes on. This is a truly magnificant achievement and one is always overlooked by many people in the media when they bag the club or Eddie, but how else are we meant to read the comments that have said by MM about Leon Davis? If, and it is a big IF, MM does favour Leon Davis because of his race, it is not only unhealthy for the club, I would have thought it would set back any issues of race relations back 50 years. No indigenous person I have ever been involved in ever wants favourtism, they just want to be treated equally.

I know of many places in this so called wonderful democracy of Australia where discrimination in any form is rife, whether is based on race, religion or sex. It is a disgrace and the answer to fixing it should not be anything other than treating people as equal to every one else.

How else is one meant to interprete the article if it is accurate?
leon is #1 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:52 am

when do u think leon will play his nxt game?
LEON IS #1
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:57 am

Until Saturday I'd have said next week. He'll find it hard to break in now.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:05 am

That article is quite extraordinary MG,... where & when was it published?
surfer1 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:40 am

I think MM will rotate the young players, I think Davis will come in for Davies
sq3 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:57 am

Rusling for Davies.

Magic will find it tough if Egan kicks goals.

If Dids get rubbed out he may get the call up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: