Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#1 Leon Davis

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 11:59 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get rid of Davies.
leon is #1 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:15 pm

Davies was really good in the Freo match but he didnt get much of run in the Eagles match so i hope Leon comes in.
LEON IS #1
surfer1 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:15 pm

I just think with all the young players to be given a go some rotation is going to ahve to occur if we start getting our injured players coming back.

There is still Heath Shaw, Lonie, Richards, Rusling, etc etc
surfer1 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:18 pm

ps I forgot Yakka what has he done wrong or just no spot at the moment
KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:24 pm

surfer1 wrote:
ps I forgot Yakka what has he done wrong or just no spot at the moment

don't think he did anything wrong. MM mentioned players who played their guts out against Freo. Yakka was one of them. I think he would have been given a rest, because he was playing some pretty demanding football for a young kid. I don't think he was neglected for any negative reason and will work back in as soon as the opportunity comes along.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:53 pm

magpie greg wrote:

Anyone wih a modicum of intelligence read the article the same way.

Even team selection is based on ANYTHING other than form, ability and team balance then the whole selection process is stuffed.

MM has always had a philosophy along the lines that good people create good organizations which in turn get good results. This means he is always going to persevere longer with individuals he believes contribute to the overall direction of the club. This particular philosophy is hardly new and is advocated by successful leaders in all manner of organizations. It's just a more contemporary take on the champion team/team of champions adage.

When MM said he was going to "stick" with Leon, I don't think he meant because he's Aboriginal and entirely irrespective of form. My reading is that he has faith that Leon will come through in the end for the good of the team because he's got the character MM wants at the club, and that character is evidenced in his impact on the Aboriginal community. Remember, Mick's 'favorites' include Clement, Burnsy, Bucks, Licca, Presti, Pebbs, Tazza, Josh and others - you can rest assured that if any of these players hit a poor patch they will receive the same level of support as Leon. Remember when everyone was calling for Johnno to be dropped from the team prior to the 2002 Qualifying Final?

Then, of course, there's the fact that Neon is one of the very few goal kicking small forwards that we've had around the club over the last few years. There's a spot in the team almost on the basis of role alone (not anymore, but certainly over the last few years).

The difficult task of interpreting MM's philosophy is surely best made on a broader basis than a single article, interview or media conference.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:16 pm

pietillidie wrote:
[The difficult task of interpreting MM's philosophy is surely best made on a broader basis than a single article, interview or media conference.

I understand your point, but gee, this is a dangerous comment from MM i think,...
``I think he's achieved so much and I'm prepared to stick with that to make sure the relationship between the Aboriginal community and the Collingwood community is strong.

Shouldn't he be prepared to 'stick with that' if it wll help us win a premiership,...... no other reason from a coaches point of view?? I'm not naive, and its clear that there are many aspects to running an AFL football club but the primary objective should be flags,... not the relationship of the club with the indigenous community - don't you think ???

EDIT NOTE: IMHO Leon deserves his spot and i'm a fan as i've said previously in this thread & others. It's the words of MM above that worry me.
burnsy17 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:33 pm

Protecting the relationship between Collingwood and the Aboriginal community?

Geez, i'd hate to sound harsh.... but doesnt that sound like we've got a token 'aboriginal' in the side to keep everyone happy?

How about protecting the relationship with your members by trying to win a flag in the not too distant future (read: NOW!)

For the record, i like Davis in the side....

KYPREO Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:56 pm

On its face, what MM said appears pretty bad for reasons outlined (tokenism), however, I think he has either struggled to express himself (he does this frequently so not surprising) or has been taken out of context.

A number of readings of this are possible. I recall Leon had a bit of trouble adapting to Melbourne life and being away from his family. He also had family troubles in his own immediate family with serious illness to his child. This impacted his on field performance through much of 2003 and pre-season 2004.

I think it is valuable to have faith in a player, who through the circumstances of where he came from struggled but has survived and adapted. Such players can provide leadership and inspiration to other players, particularly the young players who are from rural and outback areas...but also a sense of perspective to other players, including the senior players.

Also, as pointed out, it could be that MM is impressed by the representation has provided to the Aboriginal community which is indicative of other qualities (eg leadership) that are valuable in deciding which players to keep at the club.

Remembering that MM is referring to things we don't see - maybe the way Leon conducts himself during our annual trip to remote communities in NT provides MM with reasons to have faith in him.

It is reasonable to factor in off field behaviour when deciding who the coach wants in the team. Just like if an on field gun is stealing cars or sustaining a cocaine habit in their spare time, that might drive the coach to get rid of him. It's one of a number of factors. On field performance ought to be the most decisive factor but it is not the ONLY factor.

Reading that, MM never said that he would keep Leon in irrespective of form and at the expense of the team - he just that he has faith in him and will put trust in him to develop and mature, because he has achieved so much in other aspects of his football career.

This is backed up with actions, because Mick has not perservered with Leon when he hasn't performed. Mick has benched him and neglected to put him into sides in the last two years, prior to and after that article being written.

In any case, only MM knows what MM means when he says something. That's just how he is. Laughing

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:59 pm

I like Davis in the side too I don't care what colour his skin his, when he is on he is great to watch! However I do agree with this detractors though that he must be more consistent in his performances, but must also be granted more game time.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 4:39 pm

I think Yakka has been stiff to miss out. I'd love him back in the side. Him and Rusling to come in this week, with a bit of luck.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 7:55 pm

magpie greg wrote:

Forgive my suspicious nature, but what is your official position at Collingwood?

As for Leon being a consistent goalkicking forward, that is just plain wrong.

I'm just a punter who thinks that most of the criticism directed at MM is misguided. MM's biggest weakness is his PR work - he doesn't put on a media face and deliver a simplistic political message like other coaches. He says what he feels at the time, and he often sounds obscure or contradictory. Consequently, he hates the media for misunderstanding him and withdraws even further (notice he always performs better in expansive one-on-one interviews). This gives his critics both inside and outside the club a heap of ammunition to throw at him. But that doesn't mean he doesn't know how to manage players, select teams and coach games.

By the way, I never mentioned the word 'consistent' in relation to Leon. I was simply referring to positional availability.
leon is #1 

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 8:52 pm

yeh well that's cos he's not consistent and im sure will work on it 2 get bak in the team.
LEON IS #1
leon is #1 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:21 pm

yaya leon rocks
LEON IS #1
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 5:30 pm

Quote:
For the record, i like Davis in the side....

I do, but only when in form. I thought he might have come back this week with Dids' possible suspension, but that is now out the window. Has Egan passed him?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: