Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leigh Colbert Quits Cats

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Janssen 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 1:49 am
Post subject: Leigh Colbert Quits CatsReply with quote

Hi Everyone.

Heard on Sports 927 this morning that Leigh Colbert has quit Geelong. The papers say that he might be quiting and that it is almost certain but I can tell you that he HAS quit.

Brian Cook who is from Geelong was interviewed on the radio and he said that he spoke to Colbert at about 9.50 pm last night and that Colbert had told him he wanted to go to a club with a greater chance of success.
Brian Cook then announced that "it was over" between the cats and Colbert.

Well!!!

Can we get Colbert?

I hate to say this, but I don't think we have a chance in hell. Colbert has said that he wants to play in a premiership in the next few years and that Geelong are prepared to trade and WANT a trade. Colbert will be chased by everyone and the best players offered will be the deal that Geelong accepts IF Colbert wants to go to that club. Of course we can get him for nothing if Colbert wants to go to the pies as we have the no.1 pre-season draft pick but I think Colbert wants to aim higher. I heard a rumour that it is a DONE deal with the Kangaroos.

Brian Cook also said that they are almost about to re-sign Ben Graham. Damn!!

I hope his definition of almost is that they are miles apart.

Dave

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 8:34 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Give 'em our 2nd draft pick and an existing player(s). If we can get Josh Fraser at number 1 and Colbert with No 2, I reckon we will have done pretty well.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 8:48 am

we have to get him. he can't go to stupid north, they have no money. we must get colbert no matter what, even if he's injury prone. only 24 and a natural leader - perfect.
foxy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 8:49 am

we have to get him. he can't go to stupid north, they have no money. we must get colbert no matter what, even if he's injury prone. only 24 and a natural leader - perfect.
David Janssen 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 8:53 am

Damien

The key to the colbert situation is convincing him to join Collingwood.

If we can then we will not have to give the cats anything as will we use our first choice in the december pre-season draft to nab him.

He will be a freebie.

We do not have to deal with Geelong at all if colbert wants to join the pies.

Our selections in the november draft should be used for the outstanding young talent available.

We have selection 1 (priority pick) which will be used for Josh Fraser.

We then have selection 3 (first pick of round 1) which should be used for another youngster or traded at worst for at least 3 to 4 players from another club.

We then have selection 18 not (19) (first pick of round 2 keeping in mind that Essendon have lost their pick in round 1)which should be used for Rhyce Shaw.

The rest is a guess.

Dave

Pugsville 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 1999 10:40 am

IF we trade we want to trade for Quality NOT QAUNTITY , we have filled out the depth nicey last year. Thta;s why Liegh Colbert or Ben Graham would do nicely. My feeling is we gotta start covering Monky with an up and coming ruck so draft pick 1 Josh Fraser. Rhycce Shaw is a must as a more physical quick wing/centre s also nnedd (pick 1Cool pick 3 depends whats avaiable if some gun kid is available sure, if we can trade for an absolute gun (Graham, Colbert, Everitt) yeah sure but only for absolute quality walk in top ten players. Last year we needed to fill the list out the licura/Orchard/Olenrenshaw thing sort of worked. (2 150+ game players 1 ??? ) but with the rise of the kids depth is not the issue top end imrovement (and a ruckman)

pugs

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 1:48 am

Your right Dave, I never was much good trying to decipher the vagaries of the draft or for the final 8 system for that matter...

If he wants to join the Pies he just needs to hang around for the second draft.

By the way, who are these 12 players at Geelong that are out of contract. Colbert, Graham, Sholl, who else? There must be some young talent there.

------------------
Damien
Mick 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 2:30 am

David Janssen - were you not the guy who has sent in full drafting lists to the club the last few years? Or maybe it was someone else on this board.

What question marks hang over Josh Fraser? Glandular fever? Is it a beat up how good he is? Would most other Clubs definitely draft him in our position?

Should we not use pick No.2 for the next best ruckman in the draft? Is this Green or is there someone better. If my mail is correct then Fraser is capable of playing a key position. Let's face it, its a huge gamble to bet Fraser will make it when Monky has about a year, Smith, Gardiner will never make it and Richo is an ageing spare parts at best. Richard Lounder had as big wraps as our Josh so we shouldn't bet the house on No1. Also if you get too excited think of Ottens at Richmond - big wraps and is a good player for the Tigers but you couldn't say he's dominating - i.e Fraser will be 4 years away from causing major headaches! The Everitt deal is far from done and also a gamble given his personality (he's narrowly missed jail a couple of times).

Are we also falling for the father-son fairytale? Rhyce Shaw has suffered from Chronic Fatigue - Lynch has never been the same since he had it. Is everyone dazzled by a couple of sprints down the MCG in a very lopsided contest vs Carlton ressies? He did make the U/18 team but his name hasn't appeared in Northern's best since. Is anyone close enough to U/18 comp to inform us?

Colbert will be tough to get. I believe the Club should be very wary of trading draft picks. I still think Graham's height would be better for us and he has a better price tag. Direct player swaps could be the go (e.g. Lane/Mahoney deal was a winner). Youth is the go and hopefully this is our last chance to pick early so we should make the most of it while we're down here.

When is the draft ?

Finally - this Ric Charlesworth debate is the biggest pile of crap I've heard. The most successful football coaches have been football people. Innovators within an understanding of the game. Remember Gerard Neesham and his water polo theories. Even our own Shawry and his basketball theories. Wheadon's quarterback/Buckley bullshit. It's all smokescreens. Recruit the best young footballers - forget athletes. Recruit the best football coaches. It is that simple.

David Janssen 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 1999 6:31 am

Mick,

No not me, I have never sent a list of any sort to anyone. I am just a keen fan who has been looking forward to this draft as soon as I knew that our season was in the toilet.

Yep Colbert will be a toughie to get, almost impossible I reakon because the top clubs have good players to spare and Geelong will end up accepting anything they can get.I heard that Ben Graham is talking to SYDNEY now. The rumours are flying thick and fast.

Fraser has got to be treated as a long term prospect. People have said that the talent in this years draft is the best in years. Youth is the go but if 3 or 4 players were offered for our 2nd pick in the November draft (3rd overall) then we would have to look at that.

The pre-season draft is in December this year (as apposed to February in other years) because of the early start to the 2000 season.

We can afford anyone and Eddie and the boys have the talent to talk anyone into joining the pies. If a big name player says yes, then we must have him. We will never have a better chance than this year to grab a few freebies.

Dave

Lozza 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 1999 10:16 am

Why the f%$#@ would we want to get Leigh "I'm not a CAPTAIN'S asshole" Colbert?? The CAPTAIN of the ship has jumped in the lifeboat because the waves are to big!! Is this the type of character that we want at Collingwood?? Given the circumstances of his departure he would be the last person that I would want at Collingwood!! I would rather pick my nose with our draft picks than pick Leigh "I haven't seen Titanic" Colbert!

Long Live Collingwood!!!

ZED 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 1999 5:56 am

Leigh Colbert should look at Buckley and see what is required to make a captain.If Buckley worked on Colbert's principles he would of left Collingwood two seasons ago. When Buckley lifts the premership cup in the future I hope Colbert is in the opposition team. Collingwood please dont draft players who are worried about personal success. The best teams win the flag not group of individuals.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 1999 1:27 am

I don't think any of us are in a position to question Leigh Colbert's character (unless someone out there knows him intimately and isn't letting on)the word is that the senior guys, Hocking, Stoneham etc...have shunned him since he was made captain at Geelong, so he obviously feels unwanted.

Yes, he's done his knee, but the fact is, he is a champion player who shows tremendous courage on the paddock and can play in a myriad of positions.

We would be made not to go after him, or Graham or Spider Everitt for that matter. Proven Key postion players with over 100 games experience, don't come along every day.

We have enough $$$, trade baits and draft picks to go after a mix of youth and experience, which is exactly what our young side needs.
Mich@el Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 1999 9:43 pm

Good points raised, everyone. I don't know, but at this stage I'm not too keen on the idea of Colbert in a Collingwood jumper. Loyalty must still be a desirable quality in modern footy, I hope!
Bye kids.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: