Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Now the dust has settled.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pie no sauce 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 4:59 am
Post subject: Now the dust has settled.Reply with quote

Where are we?
After an unusual season of deferring any finals optimism and focussing on "vanilla midgets" as potential saviours, we probably are all asking ourselves just where we are.
Given two or three outstanding youth recruits and (say) one Burnsy/Willow high level recruit plus all the rest of "triers" to prove themselves, it doesn't look like an instant recipe for the alchemical shift from wood to silver.
Another factor is the potential of the new youth who've been blooded this year to step up a rung, no guarantee but there's bound to be one or two surprises.
Even the existing middle group could possibly yield a few guys capable of lifting another cog like Lane and Rocca has both achieved in a personal, objective way.
At present though we are a bit of a rabble. The predictions made by Bucks didn't come true, much as he believed in the teams competitiveness. The reserves (our future) died out pretty tamely.
What got me going on this was the thread from (forgotten who?) who stated that Burnsy wouldn't get a top 5 (I think) place in any of the top 8 teams. Whilst I disagree with my fellow BB contributors comment on Burnsy, he is dead right in starting to come up with such a competition-wide based judgement. After all, that's how the draft works isn't it. Out the window with hope, familiarity and one eyed faith.
I read with interest the comments of Shawy on the remaining teams top players soft spots and how to play them. No doubt he and others like Judkins have set "measures" to score our guys objectively. That (as I've written on before) is to enter the realm of mystic abilities which are performed but are pretty much unable to be described. We supporters are in their hands. We can judge their performance but we can't contribute.
So, where are we?
Given the improvement potential due to recruits and step-ups, I'd say about 14th place next year.
Given the administration and a scintillating Prez, I'd lift that assessment to maybe 12th position.
And, if we add the abilities of successful coach such as MM we could rise to say, 10th.
But, he's new to CFC so I'd hedge that influence to predict 11th.

It hurts me to say this but I'm resolved to barracking with my heart more than my head for at least a few years. Even then, objectively, I wonder if we missed out on the big draft sting. Essendon got in and built up big time before the evenness of the draft was established. One bonus pick doth not a premiership bringeth,,, it'll take a few years yet so dig in.

Mick 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 6:32 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

pie with no sauce
I made the comments about Burnsy and stick by them but you actually
understand the real point I was trying to make. As much as it hurts I
also agree with your assessment of our chances for next year and
probably the one after when Monky, Browny & Gav will probably retire.

Sad to read about the draft - if our pick 1&3 count as 2 first round picks then we may have to make a tough call and risk not picking up Rhyce Shaw. This will test the character of the recruiters - if he was Rhyce Bloggs would we worry? Jonathon Brown will go to Brisbane under father/son.

that team is not bad up forward, weak in the midfield (anything with King as first rover is weak) and poor in the backline. MM will no doubt start with the back half so don't be surprised to see A Rocca go back next year. Kinnear showed a bit in the twos with a handful of bags - he may be asked to step up. It relies on whether MM can do a Cummings with big Sav - if he lifts guys like Tarrant, Kinnear, Freeborn, Lane, Williams etc will find it easier to kick goals. Talls and creative backmen are an urgent priority.

My final word on Presti is that we got him as a BMW, for the first few years he travelled like a truck - he's now about at Commodore level but until he gets near being a BMW he's under - delivered.

why is everyone talking about dropping Wild off the list. What about that game he played 3 years ago when he tagged Schwass ? And remember Rex Hunt once said ,"One thing about Jason Wild is the boy gives it a go". And who can forget about Lee Walker being as good as Jakovich when they were under-18 - not only that he's a great bloke!

Mr_Plow 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 2:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep Jason Wild oh good one, you're a funny guy Mick.

But are you sure Jonathan Brown can be taken by Brisbane under the father/son rule.

I heard some dude on the radio earlier in the year, he was at the under 18 champs and said J. Brown would be one of the top 5 picks.

He then mentioned the players who could be taken under the father/son rule and said Ryhce Shaw and Stephen Doyle (Sydney) where the only two.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: