Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Typing within borders

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Felton 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 1999 4:57 am
Post subject: Typing within bordersReply with quote

I've been reading these posts for a long time
and I am getting more and more frustrated
with the long emails that go for 100 words
but remain on only one line. My email service
has no word wrap to be found so I either lose
information or have to scroll sideways and
up and down. Can people please type messages
within the borders?? Thanks

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 3:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I have wondered how many people are affected by what Adam is describing. I know some versions of Netscape don't automatically wrap email at the edge of the screen, but I haven't seen the problem in other email clients.

I could change the program that colates the postings and emails them out every night so that it automatically wraps at a predetermined line length, but this
could play
havoc
with formatting (short and long lines)
if
users are also using their Enter/Return keys to manipulate line length, paragraph spaces etc.

Obviously I would prefer not to play with something that is apparently working well. There are over 300 subscribers to the bulletin board and there haven't been any other complaints. What I don't know is how many people have come and gone because their email is virtually unreadable.

Adam's solution of watching the screen and pressing Enter/Return to keep the text within the window boundary is probably not workable because you have to watch the screen all the time you're typing, which is pretty tedious, and as the text wraps in the window anyway, if you miss it, you don't know whether you've wrapped it or the computer has.

Is anyone else having this trouble? Is it something that needs to be rectified? I need some numbers.
Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 3:22 am

ps - Adam - one thing you can do in the meantime is to copy the contents of the email and paste it into a word processor. Even Notepad or Wordpad will wrap it for you.
ZED 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 1:01 pm

Mike I use Netscape and have the same problem do you recommend I change.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 1999 3:49 pm

Zed, if your email program works for you, it seems a bit extreme to change it for the sake of one email a day. As I said before, you can read the email from this bulletin board by copying it and pasting into a text editor or word processor.

If you don't mind changing I recommend that you stick with what you know (Netscape), but upgrade to the latest version. Alternatively you could create a freemail account with someone like Hotmail and use that address for your bulletin board subscription.
Neil Appleby 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 1999 12:19 pm

Re the current debate on E-Mail.
I suggest anyone using Netscape should get rid of it immediately and download IE instead.
Look,unless you hate Bill Gates so much that you'd tolerate inept service and processing,then there's really no doubt about it.
Internet Explorer is FAR superior.

Mike Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 2:37 am

Everyone to his own Neil - although I have to admit that even though I am forced to run several versions of both Netscape and IE for proofing purposes, my tools of choice are IE5 and Outlook Express.
Mich@el Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 10:24 pm

Please don't mention Bill Gates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: