Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#13 Dale Thomas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robbo.D.yobbo 

The Toovinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

he should definantly play in NAB cup and maybe in round 1 against the cows

happy new year evry1 ive been at queensland for 3 weeks on holiday
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:50 pm

The longer players play in an inferior grade (VFL) and don't play at a higher grade (AFL) the slower they come on I reckon exspose him to AFL asap in a pocket roving off Rocca ,Tarrant, Rusling and T.Cloke as much as possible if the 4 of them can't look after him no 1 could.
Zakal 

One Game, One Club, One Jumper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:33 pm

Yeah agreed.
THe Hawks of the 80s used to develop all their players at Box Hill for ages before they let them loose into the Seniors..but that doesnt seem to be the case anymore.

Especially not for someone considered good enough to go at No.2 in teh draft.
Players like Cooney, Wells, Hodge, Coughlan, Franklin, Deledio etc were all thrown into the deep end from the word go.

If I was Thomas, I would get more confidence from being selected in the Seniors, even if it meant a lot of bench time, than being left at Willi.

Give the kid a chance if he deserves it, if he needs to be dropped back after a few weeks, do it. He cant possibly expect to be a permanent fixture in the side in his first year, but he can expect a chance. Especially if he's working hard for it.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:36 pm

If we had a real Reserve squad I would agree keep him down. Willy is pretend Reserves, half the squad are not Collingwood players and VFL standard is overated.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:48 pm

Culprit wrote:
If we had a real Reserve squad I would agree keep him down. Willy is pretend Reserves, half the squad are not Collingwood players and VFL standard is overated.

I agree. IF the club believes that he is good enough, play him in the seniors first up. I remember much younger players like Rene Kink and Stephen Clifford playing Collingwood seniors at around 16 years because they were good enough. The youngest player to play for the the 'pies was 15. If he is good enough, play him. Simple as that. Rolling Eyes
Robbo.D.yobbo 

The Toovinator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:58 pm

we did that to matty lokan and look at him now im sure he is sweeping the streets somewhere dont worry
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:18 am

Robbo.D.yobbo wrote:
we did that to matty lokan and look at him now im sure he is sweeping the streets somewhere dont worry

You missed the most important bit, "IF he is good enough". Obviously Matty Lokan wasn't. In my very humble opinion, Thomas will be HEAPS better than Matty Lokan.
Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:29 am

Hang on...whatd we do to Lokan?

He joined us at 20...Thomas is 17 (from memory)....What were we going to do with Lokan...play him antoher 2 years at Willi?

(well if you ask me...even that would have been a waste of time..but anyway)

Two different situations...two completely different players...and please god let that be the last comparison drawn between our #2 draft pick and Lokan.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:15 pm

There doesn't seem to be any doubt that he's good enough, but that's not the issue. The question is whether his physique is mature enough to withstand the physical demands of senior AFL footy. I don't know a lot about the kid, but he himself has said that he needs to beef up a bit to play senior footy. If he's physically up to it, then i say play him, otherwise wait until he is ready. Remember, that circumstances (injuries to so many other players) forced Collingwood to play Rusling last year before he was quite physically ready, and he ended up with a severe shoulder injury. I'd hate to see Dale get smashed, at this early stage. Apart from the risk of injury, it could dent his confidence. Remember, we've hopefully got a 10 year player here, so there doesn't seem to be any reason to rush. Whichever way it goes, I reckon Mick will make the right call.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:36 pm

The VFL is no place for very talented young men. Play Egan there, but play Thomas in the ones plz.
Zakal 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:20 pm

He'll almost certainly play NAB cup youd think...so lets just hope he sets the game on fire to assure himself a place in round 1.

Lets also hope that we have the luxury afforded by a good run with injuries to not NEED to throw the kid in the deep end like we had to with Rus last year.

On the point of Rus though...and the same goes for Trav(cept hte shoulder part)...while he got injured (and lets hope it doesnt affect him anymore) the short time he spent in the side in that capacity would have tought him much more than even a full season or two would have being played off the bench, and rotating thru williamstown.

Its that 'baptism of fire' clichè, the good players really benefit from it, and the shit ones get shown up. I think he'll be a much better player this year, than he would ordinarly have been next year had he just been played sparingly thru a fully fit side.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:51 pm

Zakal wrote:
Whats that about him being a long term prospect? I thought we didnt get Ellis cos we didnt wanted someone who could play in the shorter term?

Both are long term prospects. Thomas will play in 2006, though. All class.

Quote:
The VFL is no place for very talented young men. Play Egan there, but play Thomas in the ones plz.

Can't agree more.
ad4eva Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:25 pm
Post subject: Dale Thomas - Held up wellReply with quote

Personally i thought he played really well...

http://collingwoodfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=247824
Carders Leo

No Didak, No Collingwood!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Quote:
“The noise out there in the last quarter – I’ve never experienced anything like that – and geez I want more of it.”

Gotta love that line, gonna be a good kid, not afraid to cop a knock either.

Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 11:25 pm

of course he has not experienced noise like that in the final qtr. it was his 1st game of afl footy not the under 18 comp. if he wants more he has to play well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 2 of 21   

Jump to: