Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#25 Josh Fraser

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trezegol 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We need josh to get stuck into those quadruple stack burgers from hungry jacks.

If that can't get him to put the weight on, nothing will!

Additionally, we need to provide him with a hearing implant so that one of the assistants can tell him when to jump at the centre bounces.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:18 pm

Problem is Frasers best game for the year wasn't in the black and white.

I do think if Wood can stand up next year and be our No.1 Ruckman, Josh will benefit greatly as it will allow him to play in the more suitable role as a follower. His best work is done when he is freed up around the ground, on the wings, not in the hustle and bustle of man on man ruck duels.

Both Wood and Fraser will benefit greatly if they can add some strength to there bodies, if they don't, can't see much changing next year.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:36 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
Mr. Chairman wrote:
Apparently Im the only who thinks his ruckwork is improving.

Yes I agree, that's why he was selected to represent Victoria in front of many others

Sorry guys, with respect to the Victorian selectors it only highlights the poor ruck stocks in Victoria. I'd really like to praise Josh, he's a good bloke and all that, but he is far too inconsistent for my liking and hardly inspires by revving up his players on the field. The biggest problem he has in the centre circle is an inability to jump in time with the bounce of the ball. He always seems too jump early. But I don't dispute the fact that he is our number # ruckman. In an ideal world he would find a valuable place in our team as a tall forward.

So you say anyway. His ruck work has been mostly good I've thought and his around the ground work when he is fit is very damaging. And as for revving up etc., of course the players who wanted him for captain over Burns don't know anything either...

arrgh its a pity The Weed is so old eh Jack? Twisted Evil

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:51 pm

burnsy17 wrote:
Fire Up wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
burnsy17 wrote:
How about needing him to grow 6 more cm's into the correct size for a ruckman.....?

208's the minimum nowadays is it?

He was talking about Bryan and at 197cm is too Short Now for a Ruckman

no dave it was about josh

It was about Josh and yes, 202 or whatever he is isnt enough clearly... he cant buy a tap out. He has no presence. Nothing.

I reckon his tap work's been good, and has actually improved over time.
He has struggled to stand up to the rigours week in week out though. I guess it's not easy with such a slight frame, and pretty much having to play as our number 1 since the age of 17.

He's certainly tall enough though. Kruezer's shorter, and the Blues seem happy enough with him.
Mr. Chairman 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:20 pm

This season he averaged 14 touches .7 goal a game and just over 15 ho's.

If he can lift that to about 16 touches a goal a game and 16 ho's thats a great output. I think its possible if he's fit.

mudlark 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:26 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
The Tin Man needs to get a heart...

That's very cheap Jack Spain.

It's easy to criticise Josh but I don't see many viable alternative players being put forward by you... and Murray Weideman and Gabbo are just too damn old. so where are they going to come from? Twisted Evil

I regard Josh as our best option going forward and the best option for our next captain should Scot Burns retire. It was no surprise to me that represented Victoria as first ruck. The selectors for that game were clearly knowledgeable people regarding our game.

Thats not a very cheap shot at all Rocketronnie,,It's as weak as piss Evil or Very Mad
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:41 pm

Mr. Chairman wrote:

No, there's more than 1 of us. His ruck work is improving - I think the circle has actually helped him, he holds his own at around the ground ruck contests and when fit, is a damaging extra midfielder in the Cox mold.

Very valuable member of the team and has plenty of heart, even if some don't see it.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:02 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
Mr. Chairman wrote:

Yes I agree, that's why he was selected to represent Victoria in front of many others

Sorry guys, with respect to the Victorian selectors it only highlights the poor ruck stocks in Victoria. I'd really like to praise Josh, he's a good bloke and all that, but he is far too inconsistent for my liking and hardly inspires by revving up his players on the field. The biggest problem he has in the centre circle is an inability to jump in time with the bounce of the ball. He always seems too jump early. But I don't dispute the fact that he is our number # ruckman. In an ideal world he would find a valuable place in our team as a tall forward.

You obviously missed his reaction when he kicked that first-quarter goal against Adelaide. That was a pretty decent rev-up. He was just about our best finals player, as he has been before. So yeah, I thought the tin man jibe was out of order, too.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:25 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
Frank Stone wrote:
Mr. Chairman wrote:

You obviously missed his reaction when he kicked that first-quarter goal against Adelaide. That was a pretty decent rev-up. He was just about our best finals player, as he has been before. So yeah, I thought the tin man jibe was out of order, too.

Hi PP

I thought his ruck work was good and getting better since he came back from the knee injury, and particularly so in the games since passengergate. He has displayed good leadership since then too. His goal opportunities have dropped off as Mick isn't playing him forward as often as he did. Before that he was a regular goal scorer for us.

What he does need is genuine support. Wood is young but seems hot and cold and rarely gives a four quarter effort while bozo Bryan tries but is not skilled enough to play at senior level. We need a real second ruck option to properly support Josh so he doesn't always have to carry the load himself.

I hope he gets the captaincy next year. He will be a great captain for us.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:34 pm

Josh is a big game player. Dare I say if he was fit for the finals last year we may have gone a bit further. Jack Tin Man was pretty harsh not a fan of that.
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:16 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
arrgh its a pity The Weed is so old eh Jack? Twisted Evil

Ah if only we could have bottled whatever spirit it was he played with mate. Or Darren Millane. Very Happy
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:25 pm

Pied Piper wrote:

Well, I'll withdraw the jibe if it hurts his feelings. But sorry PP I did see the reaction to his goal - and it was a great goal! But I wish I'd seen more of Josh against the Thugs last Saturday night. Because my lasting memory is that botched forward entry where he kicked it straight to a Thugs player when we had at least a couple of forwards by themselves. The kick went barely 20 metres! But hey, he wasn't Robinson Crusoe was he?

At the very least I do not go back on my assessment that Josh can't get his timing right in the ruck. He always seems to jump too soon. Perhaps the club should get Damien Monkhorst down to give the boys a bit of a pointer on ruck play.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:28 pm

rocketronnie wrote:
Hi PP

I thought his ruck work was good and getting better since he came back from the knee injury, and particularly so in the games since passengergate. He has displayed good leadership since then too. His goal opportunities have dropped off as Mick isn't playing him forward as often as he did. Before that he was a regular goal scorer for us.

What he does need is genuine support. Wood is young but seems hot and cold and rarely gives a four quarter effort while bozo Bryan tries but is not skilled enough to play at senior level. We need a real second ruck option to properly support Josh so he doesn't always have to carry the load himself.

I hope he gets the captaincy next year. He will be a great captain for us.

Yeah RR, I'll be honest and say I ran a poll about midway through the year gauging opinions on whether or not Josh should be put up for trade. I had just about given up on him then - not his ruckwork, which I've always thought was underrated, but his fitness, really. I ran the poll with a heavy heart, but at the time I thought he was unlikely to get much better. I also thought his leadership was lacking something at the time. But he redeemed himself in the latter third of the year and his finals series was excellent.

If he can stay fit, he will make a huge difference. As he showed in the All-Star game and the finals series again, he is a big-game player of rare ability. That shows true leadership IMHO, and he always has seemed to thrive with extra responsibility in the past.

I completely agree about lack of support. Bryan had an excellent spell mid-year but he is just such a doofus. Wood is developing, but I suspect he should be put in the team and kept there next year for both his sake and the club's.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:33 pm

jack_spain wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:

Well, I'll withdraw the jibe if it hurts his feelings. But sorry PP I did see the reaction to his goal - and it was a great goal! But I wish I'd seen more of Josh against the Thugs last Saturday night. Because my lasting memory is that botched forward entry where he kicked it straight to a Thugs player when we had at least a couple of forwards by themselves. The kick went barely 20 metres! But hey, he wasn't Robinson Crusoe was he?

At the very least I do not go back on my assessment that Josh can't get his timing right in the ruck. He always seems to jump too soon. Perhaps the club should get Damien Monkhorst down to give the boys a bit of a pointer on ruck play.

Yes, he certainly wasn't alone in terms of forward 50 entries - that was disastrous all night.

A point about jumping. It's not necessarily mistimed; it's actually a legitimate ruck tactic to disrupt the jump of a higher leaper or stronger-bodied player. I've seen him towel up no less a ruckman than Peter Everitt (when he was a best and fairest winner with Hawthorn) using this tactic.

I think Josh works well within his limitations, and when he's fit and able to get his hands on the ball you might find a surprising number of his taps find the mark. I don't think many of his detractors WANT to see that, though.

BTW you should withdraw the tin man jibe because it's completely unfair and inaccurate considering his finals performance. I don't think he would worry too much what you thought! Wink

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:37 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
I don't think he would worry too much what you thought! Wink

I should hope not! Or he should harden the $%^& up. Wink

Last edited by jack_spain on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 41 of 43   

Jump to: