Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Cousins DRUG FREE In His First Drug Test

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Now it's Kangaroo Cousins?

Dan Silkstone | November 16, 2008

THE FOOTBALL future of Ben Cousins took another twist yesterday as it emerged that the former Brownlow medallist had passed a hair test for drugs and could be considered a draft target by North Melbourne.
But a West Coast comeback for the former club captain was emphatically ruled out by Eagles chief executive Trevor Nisbett.
The Brisbane Lions and St Kilda still shape as the most likely draft destinations for Cousins if the nine-member AFL Commission clears the player to return to football when it meets in Sydney tomorrow and Tuesday.
The Sunday Age understands that hair and urine samples obtained from Cousins have been tested and are drug-free. But those results alone will not guarantee a return to football as the commissioners will have broad discretion to refuse Cousins' request to be re-registered if they are not convinced the player has reformed.
Neither the AFL nor Cousins' management would comment on the test results.
The former Eagles captain was banned for 12 months by the commission last year after a series of incidents led to a public admission from the four-time best-and-fairest winner that he was a drug addict. Drugs charges, levelled by Perth police after a dramatic roadside bust, were later dropped.
Most football people spoken to by The Sunday Age during the week said they believed Cousins would be cleared to return, though few believe it is a certainty.
There was confusion yesterday regarding where such a return might take place.
St Kilda and the Lions have already declared their interest, but Cousins' manager, Ricky Nixon, said he had spoken at length to North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley on Friday about Cousins' rehabilitation.
"(Laidley) said they did have some interest, but would have to do a lot of due diligence," Nixon said.
The Kangaroos coach did not give any undertaking to make a play for Cousins, but asked if Cousins was fit to resume his career and had turned his life around, Nixon said.
Laidley could not be contacted yesterday, but if the coach is interested in pursuing Cousins, he may have a difficult time convincing the club's administration.
Chief executive Eugene Arocca told The Sunday Age yesterday that he was not interested in bringing Cousins to the club.
"We are not interested and we haven't done any due diligence," he said. "He is not on our radar at all. We certainly, like every other club, would wish him the best, but in 2009 he does not fit into our plans.
"We've got a direction of developing young players and young talent through the draft. We've got a strategy and to recruit Ben would be outside of that strategy."
Nisbett also hosed down a push from former West Coast chairman Murray McHenry to bring Cousins back to the club, saying the Eagles wished their fallen champion well but did not seek his return.
"The door is shut. We made that decision 12 months ago," Nisbett said.
"As much as emotions swell from time to time and people have their different opinions, the decision's been made by the club in what we believe is the best interests of the club and that decision will stand."
The commission — which includes AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou — could reach a decision on Cousins by lunchtime on Tuesday and is likely to make its announcement later in the day.
Cousins, who has been avoiding any publicity in the lead-up to the meeting, will not appear before the commission and will issue a statement from Perth after the decision.
swooper 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:25 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
And to the anti cousins clique on here,tell me this please: How the hell are we going to look when the Saints kick our arse,and Benny boots five goals against us,in a dominant display??Yep,like the bunch of fools we(the Board)are,yet again,and a laughing stock of football.De Ja Vu tony lockett.

Arent you jumping the gun a bit here? Do you not have any faith in our current group of players to beat the Aints? Rolling Eyes
mudlark 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Culprit wrote:
He will be joining his mate Gardner. No doubt Gardner has some chemists they can see over here. They had a good group over in the west. Once a junkie always a junkie.

Very unreasonable comment Culprit. Many peopleovercome drug addiction and alchoholism and lead fulfilling lives. Isuspect Ben Cousins, with the help of family and friends, will overcome his troubled past and be a good and wholesome citizen ,just like yourself.
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:37 am

swooper wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
And to the anti cousins clique on here,tell me this please: How the hell are we going to look when the Saints kick our arse,and Benny boots five goals against us,in a dominant display??Yep,like the bunch of fools we(the Board)are,yet again,and a laughing stock of football.De Ja Vu tony lockett.

Arent you jumping the gun a bit here? Do you not have any faith in our current group of players to beat the Aints? Rolling Eyes

Of course not! All our current players are hapless "perceptive fellow"... We have to wait for the cargo to fall from the sky in the form of (tick the appropriate) Ben Cousins, Jonathan Brown, Daniel Kerr, Gary Ablett Snr, and the man who fought the monkey in the dustbin, before we could be considered any sort of a premiership chance. Now I thought you would have known that? Its in the terms and conditions you have to acknowledge before you join Nick's isn't it? That we have to pin all our hopes on some so-called star who will come and make every thing better and if they don't come to Collingwood, its all Eddie and the Board's fault?... I'm sure that's in there somewhere....
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:56 am

^ For you Ronnie. Wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Have a look at this short video - well worth it.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=qmlYe2KS0-Y

LOL that's been our problem, we haven't built the sacred landing strip for the planes to bring our cargo. Laughing
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:45 am

rocketronnie wrote:
swooper wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Of course not! All our current players are hapless "perceptive fellow"... We have to wait for the cargo to fall from the sky in the form of (tick the appropriate) Ben Cousins, Jonathan Brown, Daniel Kerr, Gary Ablett Snr, and the man who fought the monkey in the dustbin, before we could be considered any sort of a premiership chance. Now I thought you would have known that? Its in the terms and conditions you have to acknowledge before you join Nick's isn't it? That we have to pin all our hopes on some so-called star who will come and make every thing better and if they don't come to Collingwood, its all Eddie and the Board's fault?... I'm sure that's in there somewhere....

Oh yeah, of course!! Duhhh......I guess when the team has been SO damn successful with so many flags over the past 50 years, WHO NEEDS other great players from other clubs eh? We must have stacks of potential premiership players who just haven't been recognised yet, thats all.........
What's that you say? We have won only ONE flag in the past 50 years?? None over the past 10 years? You sure about that? Hmmnnn..........Cant be the fault of the the top quality players on our list over the years then...........can it??????
Dear me............... Shocked Rolling Eyes Sad
rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:49 am

Quote:
From time to time, the term "cargo cult" is invoked as an English language idiom to mean any group of people who imitate the superficial exterior of a process or system without having any understanding of the underlying substance. The error of logic made by the islanders consisted of mistaking a necessary condition (i.e., building airstrips, control towers, etc.) for cargo to come flying in, for a sufficient condition for cargo to come flying in, thereby reversing the causation. On a lower level, they repeated the same error by e.g. mistaking the necessary condition (i.e. build something that looks like a control tower) for building a control tower, for a sufficient condition for building a control tower.

The inception of cargo cults often is defined as being based on a flawed model of causation, being the confusion between the logical concepts of necessary condition and sufficient condition when aiming to obtain a certain result. Based on this definition, the term "cargo cult" also is used in business and science to refer to a particular type of fallacy whereby ill-considered effort and ceremony take place but go unrewarded due to flawed models of causation as described above. For example, Maoism has been referred to as "cargo cult Marxism"[citation needed], and New Zealand's optimistic adoption of liberal economic policies in the 1980s as "cargo cult capitalism".[citation needed]

''We need to recruit Ben Cousins to win a premiership'
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:50 am

Oh, inception of cargo cults is.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:59 am

rocketronnie wrote:
swooper wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

I have every faith in our very young team to be able to match it with the vastly more experienced Saints.We have a great crop of young pups,a great future.BUT,we need a player like Benny,with his vast experience and brilliance,in the guts.And the cold hard fact is,we have NOT beaten the Saints in a Final since around the early 70s,and we got creamed by them in the Final this year.Yes,we did beat them earlier,but we lost it when it counted.Cousins,a clean cousins,is just what we need,but we have stuffed it up yet again. Sad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:19 pm

joffa corfe wrote:
jack_spain wrote:
joffa corfe wrote:
So ben was drug free according to a urine sample..well excuse me but what a crock of shite..

Did Ben know he was to have a urine test ? Its easy to be drug free prior to an arranged Urine testing for drugs..

Why havn't the AFL been conducting weekly random Urine testing on Ben since his willingness to resume his AFL career. If the AFL return Ben to the game on the result of one urine test..well then they dont have a bloody clue!
But then again have a look at the current AFL drug testing proceedure ?

You protest too loudly Joffa. Worried the board might have made the wrong decision? We love you Joffa and you are a public face of the CFC, just be careful not to tie yourself too closely to the current LC gravy-train. That can only end in tears.

One urine drug test Mr Spain does not prove anything, Infact if it was not a random drug test it was nothing absolute nothing.

For those to somehow suggest the Pies got it wrong on the conclusion of ONE urine drug test is complete and utter ignorance.
Sorry again Mr Spain for not joining another shit- baggers lynch party..Thats my choice as is your choice to rubbish everything Collingwood and beautify everything Hawthorn .

it's a rare thing, but i agree 150% with Joffa here. And it was also a sample HE 'provided''......did they actually watch him or did he just provide it?

nomadjack 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:46 pm

No, I hear he mailed the sample in PP. Apparently they tested it and he is definitely drug free but sadly also part poodle. Lord give me strength...
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:00 pm

I really hope this one dosnt come back to bite us on the arse. I for one want more info, and hope it solely (the decision to not draft him), wasnt solely based on his age or for any perceived loss of sponsors.

I want a winning football team with footballers doing their stuff, not footballers lives. I couldnt give a stuff if in their spare time they are dancing with the stars or Les Girls for that matter. Get whats right for the team. What we need at a specific time, a friggen gun midfielder. I reckon that time is now. Get back after him and lets get back to winning! Were big enough and strong enough to ride any bumps that may eventuate. Hell other teams seem to think they are in that category. Why arnt we. Time to harden the #*@k up and grab our chance!

Sorry bout the rant but Im frustrated. Love the way we are going about our youth policy and love all the Pie kids, but we need some maturity there and blokes like Cuz come around every ? ,how many years?. Ready made and would slot in brilliantly. Ive played out all the scenarios in my head, but unless I hear something new or different about the situation, I reckon we are CRAZY not to get him.

Pricey_1981 

All aboard the Collingwood train...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:05 pm

couldnt agree more skaman
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:06 pm

skaman wrote:
I really hope this one dosnt come back to bite us on the arse. I for one want more info, and hope it solely (the decision to not draft him), wasnt solely based on his age or for any perceived loss of sponsors.

Well it seems that St Kilda and Brisbane are both consulting their major sponsors.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/clubs-to-consult-sponsors-on-cousins-decision/2008/11/16/1226770258003.html

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:59 pm

skaman wrote:

I want a winning football team with footballers doing their stuff, not footballers lives. I couldnt give a stuff if in their spare time they are dancing with the stars or Les Girls for that matter. Get whats right for the team. What we need at a specific time, a friggen gun midfielder. I reckon that time is now. Get back after him and lets get back to winning! Were big enough and strong enough to ride any bumps that may eventuate. Hell other teams seem to think they are in that category. Why arnt we. Time to harden the #*@k up and grab our chance!

Sorry bout the rant but Im frustrated. Love the way we are going about our youth policy and love all the Pie kids, but we need some maturity there and blokes like Cuz come around every ? ,how many years?. Ready made and would slot in brilliantly. Ive played out all the scenarios in my head, but unless I hear something new or different about the situation, I reckon we are CRAZY not to get him.

Have said this all along and got flamed for here it as well. FWIW, I couldn't agree with you more mate. But what can a mere loyal supporter do when the club brand is apparently and supposedly far more important than winning flags these days?...... Rolling Eyes Shocked Sad
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: