Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

VFL report by Pipeline!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:00 am
Post subject: VFL report by Pipeline!Reply with quote

Quote:
Some views on individual players performances today and a rant on a familiar topic, all after a good win against a good side on their own turf.

There were no horror performances today, a few good, one outstanding and one that really annoyed me. Good luck guessing which is which

Goldsack – Goldy had a reasonable game but didn’t do enough to push his way in. Did a couple of his trademark “hurl himself at the contest” tackles but still nowhere near his best. Also doesn’t appear to have his old pace. More work to do in the two’s unless lovechild Toovey gets dropped. May not be a long way off though after the seniors today.

Corrie – Kind of understandable, but he’s a selfish little bugger who plays for himself. Won’t pass unless he’s desperate, and then it’s often so late that he puts a team mate under the pump. Result? He gets his stat and his teammate gets rolled. He also can’t quite carry off the flashy stuff. He tries for the Daisy move and more often than not gets caught or corralled – then, see above.

Wood – Not a great day but some improvement in the ruck. Went forward a bit but while not outmuscled, he was out thought and left flatfooted too often. Still our second best ruck option at the moment though.

Reid – Average game but another who isn’t pushing anyone out on that performance. Played back mainly. One thing I noticed was that he is fairly quick accelerating straight ahead but if he’s got to go at an angle, he’s nowhere near as fast. He also needs to back himself more - get in front and use his pace, just like he does up forward. Patience required and like a few others some actual coaching?

Wellingham – Quite a good game though patchy still. One particular play highlighted what he can do. He threaded a contest as though he was running the witches hats while the oppo players stood mesmerised. Ran gracefully out the other side and kicked a bullet to advantage. It was a cameo only, but beautiful to watch.

Sidebottom – Hold the expectations. He looked very small and a little lost today. He got a few possessions and did a couple of nice things but on the whole, he looked a boy amongst men. He’s got the skills but he’s not our in-and-under saviour yet. Unless he gets a bunk up from MM, he’ll have to do his time in the VFL on today’s game.

Rocca – I’m not posting any comments on the Great Man because Snag might read them. I’ll just say “Snag, Hail Mary’s and plenty of them”.

Blight – Only noticed a few touches so I can’t really comment.

Cook – Good game by Cooky. Got his usual plenty of ball but didn’t cough it up anywhere as much as usual. Seemed to take that extra half-second to find a target. As an aside, he looked happy and chirpy after tha game with no sign of any great worries.

McCaffer – Good game without being anywhere near dominating. Stayed fairly close to home and did an efficient enough job.

Dawes – DTM can enjoy this. Dave, your manlove played much better today. It wasn't so much his scoring or any skill area; it was his attitude and presentation. On at least one occasion he bullocked his way straight through a Geelong player to take the mark and on couple of occasions he kept contesting hard after the marking contest. He wasn’t outstanding (although he might get in the bests) but it looked like he’s started to address a fundamental flaw in his game – and that’s nothing but good. He also went sideways a few times and despite a turning circle like the Queen Mary, he got himself back in the contest a few times.

Bryan – He’ll never be a ruckman but you can’t help but admire the Bear. He actually plays well around the ground and he’s a booming kick. Now if only he could learn to kick it to a target. This was actually a criticism of JA for a couple of seasons, in fact right up till he broke into the seniors up forward. JA wasn’t the smartest footballer on the planet and as a backman his primary tactic was to just blaze away and kick it long. The making of Jack was to put him up forward and say “There Jack, see those white sticks? That’s your target and you never have to think about where to kick again.” Might be worth a try with the Bear, because he’s honest and he’s genuinely tough and he doesn’t know when he’s beaten. Oh, and speaking of tough, he brought down a Geelong player with a perfect tackle from behind and broke the poor guys leg. Just sheer strength and a surprising turn of speed.

Barham and Blair – I put them together because they’re clones. Same size, same pace, same terrier like play, same courage and same awful disposal. Could not hit a target between them. Why doesn’t someone teach them???

Can’t say I really recall anyone else………….except, for the exclusive enlightenment of fellow supporters of Operation Cakewalk (and Stanley haters can turn off now) –

Danny Stanley – He was terrific, start to finish, but his 3rd quarter was just awesome. His stats will be about his usual 25 to 30 with 6-8 marks and efficiency in the 90% range. For a player with doubtful skills (as Paul Hudson, failed superstar, and DTM have dubbed him) I wonder what a skilled player really is? His hands are elite. The speed and accuracy of his handballs frequently hits the “HTF did he do that?” mark. His awareness, much criticised, is extremely good. It’s actually the only way you can have such a high effectiveness by hand and foot. His kicking is good, not great, but good. He got 2.3 today with a couple of close misses. The 2 he got were one, a set shot from a great running mark in the left forward pocket 30 out with barely any daylight. Bang, gun barrel straight. The second from the opposite pocket, identical position. This one was done the hard way – bust open the contest, grab, steady, shoot. It all looked fairly skilful to me. Decision making? See above – if you get lots of disposals and most of them hit their target, what’s wrong with your decision making?

The other thing on display today was this – 2nd Q, he bruised his knee in a contest. He stayed on and limped his way through it. A bit later he was kicked in the head by Beams(?) and played through it. In the last, a long shot from someone further out was going to miss by a hair about a metre high. We had the game won by this point and in the context of the whole world, an extra goal meant nothing. Danny saw a million to one chance to turn it into a goal and he took it. It meant running at top speed, jumping and trying a soccer kick in mid air, a la Dids. The problem was that it also certainly meant jumping straight into the goal post at full speed too. He didn’t hesitate and even the mainly uninterested Geelong and Richmond crowd applauded. He nearly brought it off too. This is the boy who won the Army Courage Award in his first game. Nothing’s changed. He’s brave, simple as that. He’s also tough. He, Bryan and Rocca are the only players on our list who genuinely exude “presence”. It’s worth goals to a team like ours.

I think this week Rowdy will be looking for more superlatives. I don’t for one second though believe that Danny will get a game whatever he does and whatever the other coaches think. It’s got to be MM and it’s got to be personal. I collared one senior official in the rooms and said, half serious, half joking, “For a kid with dodgy skills, DS went OK today.” Said official didn’t answer, he just grimaced – very expressively.

I’m amazed that the kid keeps turning up doing the business week in, week out under these circumstances, not to mention knowing that if someone breaks a leg and he actually gets a game, then if he puts a foot wrong he’s be out the following week. He’s got character the boy. And the worse part is, who else is MM down on and who gets games regardless?

Fu, I’m with you.

Great report thnx to pipeline off BF.

Gee I feel for stanley, surely he has to get a shot at the center in at least 1 game this year.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:09 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting on Stanley. Unlike many others, I've seen a lot to like in his few AFL games, and if he's putting in this kind of effort in the VFL consistently, he has to be rewarded at some point.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:28 am

I stopped reading at lovechild. If you can't give a balanced report without resorting to ridicule, why bother?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Sounds like Dawes had a Good Game
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:31 pm

frankiboy wrote:
I stopped reading at lovechild. If you can't give a balanced report without resorting to ridicule, why bother?

It is a great report and what he has said in the whole report is true, MM does play favourites when you consider certain players get a run without showing sweet fa form in the VFL. Yet the guys who get regular BOG's can't buy a game with a fist full hundreds.

BTW your the only one missing out if you choose not to read the whole thing.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:40 pm

Shannon Cox was always near BOG and never got a game in the 1's.

Until Yoda tought him some patience and now you'd think he'll play most of this year in the 1's.

Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:21 pm

stanley is competing with obree swan and beams. Last year it was also burns. Beams deserved his spot. Team balance is a key reason. Blaming his non inclusion on MM is rubbish. DS is a very good vfl player and will get his chance in 09 but has to perform when he gets it. Does he have the goods at the highest level not just in the magooes
melliot 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:21 pm

Gotta question the report, when they think Beams was playing?????

Firstly, he played AFL, secondly, He's the one with the Tatts on one arm (and I doub't Swanny would be in the VFL side), so pretty hard to miss.

I'll take this one with a grain of salt, me thinks. But thanks anyway. Some opinion is better than none!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:21 pm

No one has to sell me on Stanley!

He would be in my 22 every week.

Has the skill set we desperately need more of in our midfield.

He's tough, brave, talented and is a genuine inside midfielder.

Malthouses stubborness to include him in our side is bordering on insanity and personally believe is not in the teams best interest.

Stanley at the very least has earned the opportunity to play at AFL level again and should be given a block of 4 games to prove himself.

Lulie Street 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Was John McCarthy playing over the weekend?
I heard he might have injured his shoulder in the Old Scotch practice match last week. Can someone please confirm?
mugway05 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:30 pm

I think Beams started in the 2's and then got the call up to the ones because Dale Thomas was ill.

Looks like Johnson and Heath SHaw will miss. Who do you think will replace them?

Check out: www.myspace.com/mugway05
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:04 am

For the record Mick has an enormous amount of time for Danny Stanley. He also likes Alan Toovey's no nonsense and hard working approach to the game, but Alan is far from a lovechild.

Danny's opportunity will come very soon and he may be the one to get called up for Roids this Friday.

Good report in most respects otherwise.

Some pics from today's game...

http://www.joffasfrontpage.com/vfl_gallery_106.html

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:58 am

Edit - never mind I'm stupid. Embarassed

Last edited by woftam on Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jonesy86 Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:06 am

That report was from the practice match last week
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:12 am

jonesy86 wrote:
That report was from the practice match last week

Lol that explains a lot then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: