Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's the last movie you watched?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Your list of No's equals no reason for me to watch it, but I did have a look at the preview. When did you take up acting Ove? Razz
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:07 am

stui magpie wrote:
Your list of No's equals no reason for me to watch it, but I did have a look at the preview. When did you take up acting Ove? Razz

Do yourself a favour and watch it: its sense of humanity is gorgeous.

The same writer wrote Anxious People on Netflix; a wonderful 6 part series (nothing to do with mental health) but there is the same sense of humanity that one finds in A Man Called Ove in Anxious People. 6 x 40 min episodes or thereabouts. Both top books.

Trailer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aseoiMxTOLMi

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:18 am

I just watched 'Tyson - The Movie' on Amazon Prime, which I hadn't realised was made ages ago.

Anyhow, you can never tell with doco-type edited shows just how close you're getting to the real person, but the portrayal was an empathetic one I thought.

Whatever the real truth about the bloke, the sense was of watching someone that without boxing would've been a serial killer — one of those just-above mentally disabled ones as many are. His mentor seemed to do an incredible job virtually drilling approximate sanity into his head.

Again, I don't know how real the depiction is, but to me it was an interesting demonstration of just how much work it takes to help people who have been unlucky enough to grow up in a vile and violent underclass to live even modestly productive lives, even bearing in mind the bloke was still convicted for rape among other things.

And the US with its massive wealth gap is obviously going to have more cracks for people to be born into/fall into than more civilised societies.

In addition to reducing the overall percentage of those situations by simply being a better society overall, it often crosses my mind that you'd be better off taking those people and putting them into a permanent military-style environment (minus the weapons, naturally) where they can direct their anger and impulses towards some sort of achievement. There are that many things to improve, such as trashy and grim urban areas, polluted waterways, and such, wouldn't it be better to set people's energies to work on that? It just seems so obvious in so many cases that some people are damaged to the point they can't and in many cases will never live normal lives. But that doesn't mean they don't respond to incentives and a sense of achievement, and can't live more productive and healthy lives.

A cemetery near us often has people fulfilling community orders by doing lawns and gardening. There's just so much you could do with that kind of thing to give people focus, skills and continuity.

Of course, these programmes do exist, but prison still seems to be the overwhelming go-to for society. It just strikes one of those obvious things that never gets done because (a) it's too hard and (b) it inevitably becomes a dumb partisan political football.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:55 am

^

If it's the one I think, it wasn't bad. I think the early years was more accurate than the latter. Not sure about serial killer but he was definitely on the path to being a gang standover man and thug.

Ole Cus did a great job with him, then Don King and his hangers on milked him for all he was worth once they got their clutches on him.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:08 pm

Top Gun Maverick.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:56 pm

The Batman, the new one.

Really enjoyed it, particularly the return to type where The Batman doesn't use guns. Also liked how the villains weren't dressed up in costume, reminded me a bit of the TV series Gotham about a young Bruce Wayne.

The only jarring note was the relationship with Alfred in the early stages but overall one of the best incarnations of Batman I've seen.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:06 am

Top gun the originals man, what the tell happened to cruise, he was the best, brilliant movie
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:40 am

I know everybody here already thinks I watch weird movies, but this French film I watched last night was on another level entirely!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfWGcQNyzUI

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:52 am

WTAF?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:16 am

I feel like the trailer doesn’t even capture half of the WTAFness of the film! It was good though.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:13 pm

That Kate Bush they reference. Is that the 80's singer who's currently No 1 on the charts with a song from the 80's or just a random coincidence?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:35 am

It is a (pretty random) reference to her, yes! But the timing does seem to be a total coincidence, as the film premiered last year and this resurgence of interest in her seems to be the result of some popular American TV show using her music in an episode a few weeks ago.

Anyway, while we're on the topic, I do love this video clip! They don't make them like this anymore. Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:45 am

Yeah, apparently it's a key bit of the plot in Stranger Things (which I've never watched)

Personally my favourite of hers was Babooshka. I never wanted to be reincarnated as a double Bass so much.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:29 pm

Venom-let there be carnage.

Not sure why I watched it or what I watched. I'd still prefer it over Davids French Kate Bush horror movie though. Wink

Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:36 pm

cannot stand Kate Bush, she sings in that stupid key, I find irritating.
wuthering heights is the worst.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 226, 227, 228 ... 237, 238, 239  Next
Page 227 of 239   

Jump to: