Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Marty Clarke off to a good start in Ireland

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:51 am
Post subject: Marty Clarke off to a good start in IrelandReply with quote

My dad is from Belfast and with Marty Clarke returning "home" I have taken a small interest in the Irish gaelic footy. Seems Marty has had a good restart to his footy career with the round ball in Co. Down, so good luck to him, thought you may be interested.
http://www.downgaa.net/
I'll try and upload a couple of pics

Marty1.jpg

Marty2.jpg

daicos35 Leo

Is é an Phríomhroinn linne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:57 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the story text here:

The Barretts Sports Lighting Dr Mc Kenna Cup has been well and truly endorsed by the Down faithful who turned out in their thousands to watch the boys in red and black open the campaign with a convincing win on a score line of 1.17 to 0.8. The result will undoubtedly please the new Management Team led by James Mc Cartan.

The new look Down line up meant business from the first whistle and were relentless in seeking a win from their first Dr Mc Kenna Cup game. Ambrose Rodgers captained the team and played a starring role at midfield, constantly displaying his ability to both command the air and cause damage on the turf.

Although QUB were beaten convincingly in the end they did cause Down some problems throughout the game. The most encouraging aspect for Down fans, however, was that arguably Queens best player was Bryansford man Joe Ireland, who was impressive throughout.

Newer faces to the Senior set up, Sean Parr and Paul Greenan also performed well and gave a committed performance throughout.

Many fans will testify that they were there to see one man in particular…… Marty Clarke. He didn’t disappoint those who were there to see the return, he sprayed passes about Páirc Esler like he’d never been away and took his penalty assuredly. Down fans will enjoy seeing Martin ply his trade in the coming year with the round ball as opposed to the oval.

We now look forward to Wednesday night when our Senior side will face last year’s Ulster Finalists Antrim, again at Páirc Esler.

Come along on Wednesday night and enjoy the entertainment provided by our lads in a rejuvenated Dr Mc Kenna Cup.

Albow Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 am

I always feel slightly annoyed when I hear about Marty Clarke. Then I feel a little bit annoyed at myself because he is only doing what he wants, but then I think about all the time we put into him, and then I think well he was an international rookie no harm, and then I wonder why I am typing out my inner monologue in a forum..............

Confused Good onya Marty

MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:05 pm

Albow wrote:
I always feel slightly annoyed when I hear about Marty Clarke. Then I feel a little bit annoyed at myself because he is only doing what he wants, but then I think about all the time we put into him, and then I think well he was an international rookie no harm, and then I wonder why I am typing out my inner monologue in a forum..............

Confused Good onya Marty

lol nah screw him, he was weak, had one form slump and got the sooks and went home, he could of been a champ but is a chump who took the easy way out, that might sound a bit harsh but ffs I'd give my left agate to have his talent and the chance to play for Collingwood and I hate to see others waste the honour.

fence-banger Aries

Zito Kypro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks for posting this. Really happy for him.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:13 pm

MagpieMad wrote:
Albow wrote:

Confused Good onya Marty

lol nah screw him, he was weak, had one form slump and got the sooks and went home, he could of been a champ but is a chump who took the easy way out, that might sound a bit harsh but ffs I'd give my left agate to have his talent and the chance to play for Collingwood and I hate to see others waste the honour.

in the end, he wanted other things in life. i cant hate him for that. im thankful for even getting to know him, he was one of my faves
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:16 pm

What is that feeling like? Why are you bit annoyed at him or herself. I see. doing what he wants but then he or she think about all the time we put into him and then he or she think well I was an international rookie no harm and then he or she wonder why he or she is typing out his or her inner monologue in a forum is doing what he wants but then he or she think about all the time we put into him and then he or she think well I was an international rookie no harm and then he or she wonder why he or she is typing out his or her inner monologue in a forum ? Why can't you do hate him for that?
Trezegol 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:02 pm

I've got a feeling the club took a stance from rd.12 onwards to not play Marty in the seniors knowing full well that he would be departing at the end of the year.

He did not hide the fact that he was homesick, so there was no point playing the guy. If he had continued to play seniors throughout the year, he would have been taking the spot of someone who genuinely wanted to be there.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Albow wrote:

Confused Good onya Marty

Same Here I am pissed off seeing him playing Galiec instead of AFL,

Waste of Talent

Dragme 

Screaming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:31 pm

Looks like he is ready to burst through his top. Much more developed upper body than the rest of the guys he is playing with.

I suppose that doesn't matter so much as he won't need the upper body strength in a game that has no real tackling.

bennymac1 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:24 pm

this link might intrest yous aswell folks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBt4HxxQ7Vw
Dragme 

Screaming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:56 pm

Thanks bennymac1.

Geeze. They need to work on the crowds.

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:41 pm

I would expect Marty to be a superstar now that he is back playing Gaelic. He has always had a prodigious natural talent, now he can bring to County Down a whole level of professional skills that he learned at Collingwood.

I am sorry he is not still playing with us but I wish him luck at his native game. I wonder how many of the people who bag him for becoming homesick and returning to Ireland had to resettle in a different country at the age of eighteen?

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:16 am

^ I'd say those who are bitter at never being good enough to play elite sport themselves never actually had to make the same sacrifices to do it. The closest they can get is to live vicariously through those that do. Then they've got a focus for their bitterness when those players don't live up to expectations, or share the same dreams.

I'd take Marty Clarke back anytime, but now he's gone I can only wish him the best in getting what he wants out of life. When you're 18 certain opportunities come your way and you take them, but you don't necessarily know at the time whether it's for you or not, you can only suck it and see.

Last edited by Pied Piper on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 am; edited 1 time in total
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:20 am

lol bitter, like you know what people are feeling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: