Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WHY DOES THE CHEER SQUAD SEEM SO SMALL AND QUIET THESE DAYS?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattyD 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:49 pm
Post subject: WHY DOES THE CHEER SQUAD SEEM SO SMALL AND QUIET THESE DAYS?Reply with quote

Does the AFL or the Club put a restriction on the number of members?

And if so, why?

I think our cheer squad should be bigger and louder.

At the moment I can barely hear them and they seem a little insignificant.

I used to sit near the cheer squad a lot when I was growing up in the 80s and it seemed much bigger and louder - and more fun!

Now it seems small, not so many flags and pom poms.

What's happened?
rambopriscilla Sagittarius

vvv USE FOUND FOR CAT!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, we have a quiet cheersquad, that's for sure. I sit pretty much on the wing or a bit to the Ponsford side and our squad is always out-cheered by the other side's.

- "No that's God. He just tries to play like Millane"
dansa 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 pm

a far cry from the 60's 70's and 80's.

Just an embarrassment now. Signs like "Give me a Brazilian Harry" are cringe worthy.

And then you have the attention seeking fool who hangs over the fence each week abusing the whole world. Ch 7 have dedicated him his own camera just so they can keep up the stereotype of Collingwood supporters being dim witted nut jobs.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:15 pm

dansa wrote:

Just an embarrassment now. Signs like "Give me a Brazilian Harry" are cringe worthy.

And then you have the attention seeking fool who hangs over the fence each week abusing the whole world. Ch 7 have dedicated him his own camera just so they can keep up the stereotype of Collingwood supporters being dim witted nut jobs.

That "Attention seeking fool" is the one who busts his arse all game trying to get other people to join in chanting or otherwise making noise. He's apparently quite a nice bloke, even if his sense of timing could use a tweak.

For mine the more pertinent issue is why he's up there on his own and more others aren't vocally helping him out.

dansa 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
dansa wrote:

That "Attention seeking fool" is the one who busts his arse all game trying to get other people to join in chanting or otherwise making noise. He's apparently quite a nice bloke, even if his sense of timing could use a tweak.

For mine the more pertinent issue is why he's up there on his own and more others aren't vocally helping him out.

He may be busting his arse, but he is a complete embarrassment to the club and everyone outside of the cheer squad knows it.
Fire Up Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:43 pm

the cheersquad has got alot smaller. in my 1st few years it was noisy with lots of flags etc. it has been the past 3-5 years where the cs has got smaller and quieter. the cheersquad use to go to row P but now i think it goes to M. but still alot of empty seats in it each game. if they are spare or people are not there is a mystery, but come finals time its always full.

yea in the cheersquad there is the guy that leads the chants (peter) and some other kid who is about 15 (he stands up and chants) but after that good luck in finding someone else that chants. most people are there just for the grand final tickets.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
dansa wrote:

The man in the front row is Peter who's the chant leader of the CS. Every match he gives it his all to get the squad going, but the majority don't seem to follow him. The blonde kid also has a go as well.

I do agree it's dull compared to some clubs, but I do have some friends who are in it and have tried to convince me to join as well, which I've considered but I'm not likely to as I've heard many negatives of being a CS member as the club imposes a lot of control within the cheersquad.

We should strive to be more like Richmond's cheersquad which I admit are very passionate and loud. Embarassed

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:39 pm

Jezza wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
dansa wrote:

The man in the front row is Peter who's the chant leader of the CS. Every match he gives it his all to get the squad going, but the majority don't seem to follow him. The blonde kid also has a go as well.

I do agree it's dull compared to some clubs, but I do have some friends who are in it and have tried to convince me to join as well, which I've considered but I'm not likely to as I've heard many negatives of being a CS member as the club imposes a lot of control within the cheersquad.

We should strive to be more like Richmond's cheersquad which I admit are very passionate and loud. Embarassed

what type of negatives? what type of control? be specific if you are going to cast aspersions.

it's meant to be a dry area ... gotta encourage the kids.
it's meant to be a swear free zone ... gotta encourage the kids.
it's meant to be a welcoming zone ... gotta encourage the kids.

there is a lot of things nqr with the cs but there is also a lot of things right with it.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:04 am

^
Well after the whole sacking of the CS in 2008, many former members have complained that they weren't given the opportunity to return despite them being genuine members who were passionate for their club and not the ferals that the club claimed them to be.

As I said, I know people in the CS and they're great people who love the club like all of us and I'm not trying to attack it as the likes of Peter and 'big flag' Peter always have a great go to get the CS going, but sometimes I feel like that not everyone puts in the same effort like some of the other members do from where I'm sitting.

I'm not trying to attack the CS, all we want is a loud and feared CS that our supporters and the club in general can be proud of and as many have proclaimed, it's not the same CS that it was 25 years ago. However I can't judge what the old CS was like as I'm only 18 years old.

gorge1982 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:27 pm

I have been a reader of these forums for years, and have only felt compelled to join when reading about this "Peter" person.
I just want to add that despite your assertions that he "busts" himself for the football club, his foul mouth and language, does absolutely zero in terms of painting the supporters of this football club in a favourable light.

The networks have seemed to move away from Corfe, and have now focused their attention on this person.
He is actually famous in my office at work, amongst the non-Collingwood supporters.

Each Monday they discuss the "idiot with the foul mouth", and his antics on the weekend previous.

A total and utter embarrassment, and there is absolutely no need for the words he uses to express himself.
If he isn't intelligent enough to be able to find words to express himself, that aren't foul, then he shouldn't be front and square, for all to see and ridicule.

Arch@M32 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:18 am

Why does the cheersquad actively try and compete with the noise made by the boys up the back rather than join them? I see and hear it time and again from my seats in M30. The boys at the back start a chant and so the cheer squad feels they have to start a chant in competition to them. Half the time it's the same chant but started later so we end up with two competing groups trying to get the same chant going and as a result they both fail to gain much support.
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:10 pm

^ Agree 100%......
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 am

^ there are some very well run and discplined cheer squads. hawthorn's would have to be one of the better ones.
cobood Aquarius

In Bucks I trust!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:17 pm

R-o-d have u ever watched the young ones?? all they do is play on their mobiles for just abt the whole match.... there are some real good kids in there but most of them shdnt be in the c/squad at all... that's the way of the younger generation.... if you are prepared to chant and help bring the team to a win doesn't matter how old u are...
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Seems to me Collingwood supporters (in general) have become complacent. The only time anything of note happened is when members left in droves prior to the game finishing.

Very poor crowd at the weekend and out cheered by Port Power.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Your Cheer Squad All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: